Author Topic: Worlds Best Banana Nut Bread  (Read 3691 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Worlds Best Banana Nut Bread
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:45 PM »
WARNING;
DO NOT BAKE THIS RECIPE. IT'S THE GATEWAY FOOD TO NUT BREAD ADDICTION.

1c, All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1c smashed ripe bananas
1/2 c butter or margarine
1/2c pecans
1/2c raisins
2 whole eggs, beaten

Sift dry ingredient
In a separate bowel, mix remaining ingredients.
Stir in dry stuff
grease a loaf pan and pre-heat oven to 350

bake 60 - 70 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
cover loosely with foil the last 20 minutes.

When partially cooled, remove to a rack to cool.....if you can wait that long ;D

Enjoy,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Worlds Best Banana Nut Bread
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Sorry, but that's only Worlds Second Best Banana Nut Bread!!!! I make the Worlds Best!! It's Sourdough Banana Nut Bread and if I told you the recipe, I'd have to shoot you!! It's that good!! If you don't bake with sourdough, you are missing out on some great eating!!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:18 AM »
Sorry, but we'll have to do a taste comparison to judge this honestly. Put up the recipe or you lose ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline evanesce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Please put up the sourdough recipe.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:00 AM »
OK, I guess I'll make an exception and not go shooting anyone!(just this once!) This is for one loaf but I double it and freeze one! I am going to assume that anyone trying this knows NOT to use any metallic utensils or bowls for sourdough and are familiar with the use and care of sourdough starter!

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups sourdough starter
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup mashed  bananas
3/4 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add sugar, baking soda and salt to sourdough starter. Melt shortening and add to batter. Add egg, flour, mashed bananas, nuts, and vanilla extract to batter. Stir until well blended. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Allow to sit in a warm place
for approximately 20 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until done. If top browns to quickly, cover with aluminum foil. Cool 5 to 10 minutes, remove from pan.

NOTE: I like to make sure my starter is fresh and bubbly by adding equal amounts of water and flour to it the day before use. About 1/4 cup of each will do it!

Baking with sourdough is not for those who do not have the time and patience to practice this ancient art. I make quick breads, bread, rolls, etc. using sourdough. Nothing like kneading out a batch of sourdough wheat bread to work out your tensions from daily life!! Please enjoy! You can check online for sourdough starter information, but I prefer books on it with recipes. I have one I've used for over 35 years!! I will tell you the name and author of the book if interested.
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:02 AM »
not trying to hijack any threads, but I just got into sourdough bread baking last winter.  Love making sourdough pancakes as well.   i am getting my starter out and feeding it as we speak, so I can try the sourdough banana recipe.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:30 AM »
not trying to hijack any threads, but I just got into sourdough bread baking last winter.  Love making sourdough pancakes as well.   i am getting my starter out and feeding it as we speak, so I can try the sourdough banana recipe.
You're not hijacking the thread!! I've loved sourdough since reading about it in an old Field and Stream (i believe) article 30+ years ago! Enjoy the banana nut bread! I like to cover it and give it an extra 5 minutes, but ovens vary as they say!! ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Sorry rg, but I simply refuse to mix my remaining ingredients in a separate bowel. I've always found that mixing method rather unappetizing for some reason.  ;D

Sift dry ingredient
In a separate bowel, mix remaining ingredients.
Stir in dry stuff
grease a loaf pan and pre-heat oven to 350

Looks like a good recipe otherwise and I will try out both yours and oldsailors soon.  ;D

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Sorry, but we'll have to do a taste comparison to judge this honestly. Put up the recipe or you lose ;D

RG

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:55 PM »
As a Cuisine Cooking Graduate, I will more than happy judge the recipes and report back. Please wrap carefully and send ASAP to :
      Reb
      Rochester, Mn. 55901 
     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:59 PM »
As a Cuisine Cooking Graduate, I will more than happy judge the recipes and report back. Please wrap carefully and send ASAP to :
      Reb
      Rochester, Mn. 55901 
     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Might be good with some of that Apple Pie  :o...Oops...sorry...thr ead hijack. but I'll make up for it. Tomorrow, I'm going to post my world famous Jambalaya recipe for those that may want a little diversion from the usual stews and chilis.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:33 PM »
Might be good with some of that Apple Pie  :o...Oops...sorry...thr ead hijack. but I'll make up for it. Tomorrow, I'm going to post my world famous Jambalaya recipe for those that may want a little diversion from the usual stews and chilis.
Sounds like that's right up Reb's alley! Uh,oh.hmmm,almost everything edible is up his alley!! :roflmao: :woot: :whistle: Whoa....That's my alley also!! Anyone sees this mature figure will have no problem understanding why I switched from a belt to suspenders. All gut, no butt!  :laugh:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Well, I'll give you the crown ....for the moment. I gotta get some starter goin'...or is that started?

RG

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Well, I'll give you the crown ....for the moment. I gotta get some starter goin'...or is that started?

RG
Whatever way you want to say it. I'm willing to post the name of a very good book on sourdough if you anyone is interested! The thing to remember about many things made with sourdough is that it can be a little heavier and more tangy. ;D Plus you can't be in a hurry when making bread for instance! It makes wicked good pancakes!! :)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Just wanted to say that I made the sourdough version, and it's awesome.  i will be making it again for sure.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:49 PM »
RG... once again, I trusted your cooking expertise, and tried your banana bread.... amazing stuff! I think next time I would put the tin foil on just a little sooner...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:03 AM »
Ovens all vary. A good oven thermometer helps. I know mine is off by almost 50 degrees.
Glad you liked it ;D

RG

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Just wanted to say that I made the sourdough version, and it's awesome.  i will be making it again for sure.
Thanks!! It's not for everyone, but there is something very old timey about using sourdough, and the flavor is so special!! :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.