The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Midwest Open 2013, READ THIS CRAP!!!  (Read 2489 times)

Offline OU812

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Re: Midwest Open 2013, READ THIS CRAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I can't open a PDF. What's so bad about it?

Offline OU812

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Only 40 spots for michigan teams and a raffle to accept teams.

Offline JDthree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:13 PM »
go up to luddington and qualify, thats what im trying to do

Offline OU812

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:21 PM »
I plan on being in the top 20 this year to get my spot.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:03 PM »
  Soon enough it will be just those locals from down that way.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:25 PM »
I thought fishing was supposed to be fun

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:21 AM »
In my opinion it should be moved around the state instead of the same couple lakes year after year ...

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:55 AM »
In my opinion it should be moved around the state instead of the same couple lakes year after year ...

Knutsens is in Brooklyn.  Why would they move the tourney away from their area?

Offline 419Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:16 AM »
I don't think the tourney was even meant to get as big as it has. I remember when it was still really small and not so competetive.
Man.. fishing was way easier when grandpa would take us.

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:06 AM »
I don't think the tourney was even meant to get as big as it has. I remember when it was still really small and not so competetive.

When you name the tourney "MidWest Open" it kind of sounds like they were planning on it being a big event. I know they can't make everyone happy, but to limit the entries to 40 teams from Michigan randomly pulled from a hat??

I know nothing about running an ice fishing tourney, but there is obviously a demand, why not host smaller tourneys that lead up to the "MidWest Open"?

Offline gbrebory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:37 AM »
they say they dont want to hold 2 or more event becasue it will cheapen the experience  and make neither as good..... bullspit...... there is enough of a demand to where they could host the tournament twice and still not get everyone in that wants to be in ..... i think there should be 3 personally 2 100 person qualifiers and 1 50 man big time tournament top 25 of each qual make it to the final....... but... like they say cant make everyone happy

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Please just forward your entry $$$$ to Team Tim as the are the class of the field ;)! Need ICE!!!!! @)

Offline wallygator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Crazy
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:00 AM »
First off, they need ice to hold a tourney. hope hope ??? ???
<{{{}}

Offline philk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chasin that 12# eye
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2012, 11:19 AM »
When you name the tourney "MidWest Open" it kind of sounds like they were planning on it being a big event. I know they can't make everyone happy, but to limit the entries to 40 teams from Michigan randomly pulled from a hat??

I know nothing about running an ice fishing tourney, but there is obviously a demand, why not host smaller tourneys that lead up to the "MidWest Open"?
This is the direction they are considering.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:56 PM »
they say they dont want to hold 2 or more event becasue it will cheapen the experience  and make neither as good..... bullspit...... there is enough of a demand to where they could host the tournament twice and still not get everyone in that wants to be in ..... i think there should be 3 personally 2 100 person qualifiers and 1 50 man big time tournament top 25 of each qual make it to the final....... but... like they say cant make everyone happy
  I agree with this,  Iwas saying same thing the other day... get 2 main tournys and 1 final tourny for the finalist from each that is a bit smaller so a smaller lake could handle the finals... To avoid hitting the same lake 2 years in a row they could open a couple more lakes... There are 4-6 good size lakes in that area that could hold it. I dont think shortage of anglers would be an issue.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:46 PM »
That would make just too much sense and wouldn't give the advantage to the good old boys club down there.  And the real reason this doesn't happen was already stated, they want to keep it close to Knutson's.
  Even if they do what they say with Hamlin being the 2nd tournament, it sure would be nice if more tournaments popped up at different lakes around the state.
  I think a 4 lake tournament series with all lakes being in Michigan would be great.  They would have to change the name from midwest open though, or someone else would have to put it on.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Me and my partner have a top spot of ninth when it was the trap attacks thrown by the clam guys with the championship in minnesota. We qualified but could not make the trip . Sounds like to me if there could be more well runs tourneys like these in the state you could get more participints. Great demand...... little oppurtunity!

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:21 PM »
 Just like how you said you couldn't make the trip.  How many people will be able to travel to Wisconsin and NY and those folks to Michigan?    Have to be pretty well off I guess.

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:24 PM »
sounds like to much of chance. i'll think i'll just start my own tournament. anyone can join. as long as they like to fish... and drink beer
fish on!!!

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:53 AM »
Pissn and moanin...when it gets to that, fishing doesn't stay fun.  For those that fish these things and enjoy it, more power to ya, but when it reminds me of the ex, then it's not worth it.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Seriously? You guys fail to see any part of the big picture?

1. Knutsons is a private company and a family in Brooklyn with many businesses to run, not just a tourney. Why in heck would they sponsor and run an event anywhere but in the Brooklyn area? Right, it would make no sense.

2. Limiting the field to 150 2 person teams is not about preserving the quality of the experience. As Tom stated on multiple occasions, it is about LOGISTICS. The weigh-in is about three hours now, more teams is not an option. Also, parking is normally maxed out now with 300 peeps at launches. As well as other issues with a higher volume of participants.

3. Why not do three tourneys? Because one takes 12 months of effort as is. This is ran not by a paid committee or advisory group, but rather by an area business man with other responsibilities and businesses to take care of.

4. Obviously they have done a great job organizing, marketing and running this event, as evidenced by it's popularity.

5. Insurance, advertising, community relations, phone banks, staffing, volunteers, sponsorship maintenance, building rental for meetings, printed media, web site design and maintenance, bank account, legal coverage, rules committee and on and on and on. The Man and family deserve applause. But ya'll condemn them because they do not do this many times a year? Can YOU do it even once while holding down your own job?

6. If it is so easy, why are there not more tourneys of this size? Because it is not simple, but very difficult with many factors most never consider.

7. 30,000.00 in prizes and give aways. That alone is a year round chore, and one that few others are capable of I bet. Kudos to the relentless pursuit of sponsors by Knutsons.

8. Knutsons sponsors teams for other events, so if they award a few sponsorship positions in the tourney for their teams, good for them. It is the Mid West Open, not the Michigan Open. So why not expect the format to change as the popularity grows? I bet Tom has put in a year of fretting and struggling with how to handle the growth. He as to consider what is next down the road, and how to position the tournament for continued success in the future. 

I consider it a priveledge. (Sp?)to be in the tourney for the third year in a row.  I am disappointed as well that it will now be more difficult to get in each year. But I will not hold the organizers hostage, bad mouth and criticize them for doing what must be done to manage the tournament through it's growth.

Sure hope some of you are able to develop new tournaments in the future, and I will support them as well through participation when possible. I will also understand that no matter where you hold the tourney, there will be locals with enhanced knowledge of the lake. That is the brakes, and will make it more rewarding if they are defeated, but it is nothing to complain about as it is impossible to avoid.

Cheers

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:53 AM »
RLWagner, you sure are SPOT ON with that post!  I was also a bit gruntled over the idea of a lottery to get in the tourney as I am local to Knutson's all year long.  I read your post sat back and thought about it and I feel very grateful for the chance to fish in such a great tourney, the BEST anywhere in the state that I know of HANDS DOWN!!  I was at Knutson's just yesterday and purchased my 2 ORV stickers, a bag of deer corn and a couple jigs.  KUDO'S to Knutson's for all they do for the sport's persons  :clap:

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:03 AM »
You lost me at point 5. RL.... just kidding.  ;D

I like Knutsons and realize that they are not in the tournament business, but if they are going to promote this as one of the premiere ice fishing tournaments in the United States then they need to change their entry structure.

Why not try to grow relationships with other bait shops / sporting goods stores throughout the midwest and have them host qualifiers for the Midwest Open?

Offline Wall_Hanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Doesn't get any better than this.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I agree with you RL.  Knutson puts a lot of time and energy into this each and every year.  Without that commitment it wouldn't be possible.  I'm thankful he keeps doing it even with all of the complaints he must be getting.  Be sure to thank them in person the next time you see them.  The positive feedback will help counter the negative.  Isn't it funny how you can get 100 good compliments but 1 negative message wipes it all out.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Mafia, I suspect you will soon see just what you suggested with the co-oping w/ other bait sops now that the event has grown to the proportion. Knutsons supplies Gander Mountain, Midwest and other bait shops with live bait, so the channels exist and most likely some dialogue has taken place. JMO

Offline _Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing's always better.....on WEED'EZ
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Great post RL Wagner.  I concur.

If the popularity is there, and Knutson's does not or cannot keep up with it, I suspect that other businesses would try to get in the mix.  Cabela's, BPS, or big local tackle shops like Knutson's may carry the banner in other areas of the state, or perhaps even the Irish Hills again.

Knutson's doesn't need to do anything different than what they are doing now.  It's evident that their recipe is a successful one.  I have tried to get into the last 2 but couldn't.  I'm not mad at them for anything.  It's great for area business in general.   A win-win situation, except for the days I want to fish a lake and my spots are taken by tourney participants.  Oh well, there's dozens more I can fish.

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I would imagine that ice would be tantamount to an ice fishing tourney.

Good job Knutsons
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Nice post RL.

Bottom line they got to get other area's in line with what knutsons and the Brooklyn area is doing for this to grow to other locations.  IMO this whole thing is structured for this to happen, but you have to think that it is going to take a selfless group of people that really wants to see there comunity benifit from this more than the group running it.  Knutsons has proved that it can work well but I am sure the community gained more from this than their business did initally.......but.... ....... "if you build it they will come". 

I would not be dissapointed if I fell short on getting in next years tourny beacuse of what it does to the local area that I visit regularly and fully suport all the new changes.  I also can kinda blame my self if I dont make the top 20 and get an automatic bid........LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.