Author Topic: right to work  (Read 15035 times)

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: right to work
« Reply #180 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:11 PM »
What's wrong with working in a factory? I make good $ and work hard for it. I guess office workers are in a different status. I am educated but chose to work where I do. It has afforded me alot more then a non union job or an office job.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Posted by: Bronzeback5
« on: Today at 04:52 AM » Insert Quote

Not picking on you but I hope that you really dont believe that the govt. bailed out the UAW. They bailed out the company GM. These huge companies threaten their workers that if they dont take concessions then they will shut plants down. Usually they end up shutting them down anyway(LIARS). They cry broke when it comes to the workers. Do they lower the price of their products after a bail out? The company is in charge and obviously over produces and believes that every person in USA can afford a new car. We know better than that. I wonder how Germany can pay their auto workers 3x what the USA auto worker gets and is probably the healthiest automaker today.

Union or not, companies are the definition of greed. Dont blame the workers who are middle class people just like you, not the enemy. While we lose all of these manufacturing jobs makes me wonder WHERE are we gonna all work when we are phased out. I know several people that have degrees that cant find work. Sometimes their told that they are over qualified. Cant win either way. Maybe if they bust the unions and get everybody on welfare they things will get better. I dont know.

Yogi= Hats off to you for teaching. I believe that Wax has a point as far as  it starting at home. Regardless, you will be teaching our future Presidents, Police Officers, EMT's, ................ and the list goes on. Cant do much without teachers

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:12 PM »
wax_worm

While I disagree with much of what you say here, I do agree, and think most educators would also agree, that support at home is a major factor in a child's success in education. That being said I do not think there is any way to solve the problem of poor parenting.

I do not know if our local school district offer a meal after school but they do offer breakfast. They also open early. There are many area families that both parents have to work outside the home so this makes sense, to me, to offer these services. I know they charge for this, but I am sure my taxes subsidize this program to some extent. I am fine with that.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #184 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:18 PM »
What's wrong with working in a factory? I make good $ and work hard for it. I guess office workers are in a different status. I am educated but chose to work where I do. It has afforded me alot more then a non union job or an office job.

???  I never said there was anything wrong with working in a factory.  You are the one implying factory workers are somehow of a lessor status than 'office workers' with your comments above.  Way to insult your fellow union workers.   ::)  This country needs factory workers.  If that is what you want for a job, good for you.  I could work in a factory too, if I wanted to, but I don't.  I wanted other options than my parents had, so I went to college and got a degree.  Does that prevent me from working in a factory?  No.  Does it give me options that are not available without a college degree?  Yes!  I wasn't insulting anyone.  I was using my life growing up as an example and how they pushed education as a way to better your future opportunities in life.   

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:55 PM »
wax_worm

While I disagree with much of what you say here, I do agree, and think most educators would also agree, that support at home is a major factor in a child's success in education. That being said I do not think there is any way to solve the problem of poor parenting.

I do not know if our local school district offer a meal after school but they do offer breakfast. They also open early. There are many area families that both parents have to work outside the home so this makes sense, to me, to offer these services. I know they charge for this, but I am sure my taxes subsidize this program to some extent. I am fine with that.

UP,

If you agree that support from home is a major factor in education, that was the jist of my entire reponse.  What is it that you disagree with?  The govt. safety net stuff?

The poor parenting is everywhere not just inner city schools.  I can't tell you how many times when I have emailed my kids teachers about assignments, etc., and nearly every response ends with "Thank you for taking an interest in your kids education and progress.  I wish more parents shared your interest."  Seeing that many times tells me the teachers and schools are aware of the lack of support most kids get from home.  Like you, I don't know the answer to poor parenting, but it appears to be more common now days.

As for the breakfast part, I am sure your tax dollars and the states dollars are funding that program.  I understand the fact both parents or single parents work, but school was never intended as baby sitter or bob evans in the morning.  These 'extras' cost money and with tight budgets that means something else within the district is not funded. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I wonder how Germany can pay their auto workers 3x what the USA auto worker gets and is probably the healthiest automaker today.

Who knows, but could it be that their cars (Mercedes) cost nearly 3 times what normal cars cost.  Thier cars (Volkswagon, Mercedes) also have great reputations for being long lasting, relatively problem free vehicles.

Offline Harley Hogger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I dont understand what's wrong with feeding a hungry kid?  Many kids go to bed hungry every night at no fault of their own.  Maybe they should only feed the kids with a 4.0 gpa? Some people on government assistance are disabled and their kids have to take care of them. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:53 PM »
I dont understand what's wrong with feeding a hungry kid?  Many kids go to bed hungry every night at no fault of their own.  Maybe they should only feed the kids with a 4.0 gpa? Some people on government assistance are disabled and their kids have to take care of them.

You took something I wrote the wrong way.  If I could feed, cloth, and make sure every kid out there had a decent place to sleep, I would.  Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to do so.  There is nothing wrong with feeding kids...and GPA's have nothing to do with it..Its too bad the parents that brought the kids into this world don't think it is imporant to feed them.  Fortunately, there are programs in place to help cloth and feed neglected children.  I just don't think the schools should be in the day care, breakfast, after school meal business when budgets are tight as they are.  All the extras cost money the districts and state currently don't have, and schools continue to ask for more and more money like it just grows on trees.  Only way to get more money is to raise taxes on businesses and those who work and own property.  If they are going to do that for the schools, then the paying public has a right to expect some sort of improvement in test scores, grad rates, dropout rates, etc.  It is not the fault of the kids their parents are irresponsible deadbeats, but that responsibility should not fall on the schools to feed and raise those kids either.  We have welfare and social services programs at the state and federal level that get billions and billoins of dollars every year for that purpose. 

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Who knows, but could it be that their cars (Mercedes) cost nearly 3 times what normal cars cost.  Thier cars (Volkswagon, Mercedes) also have great reputations for being long lasting, relatively problem free vehicles.
Actually, their cars are more expensive but not to the tune of 3x. Problem is businesses in American want cheap labor if you factor in the average price of a home or automobile that we are faced with in relation to other countries.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #190 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:47 AM »
The problem with the money the government provides for welfare is that it is abused.  The millions you give to that operation seems to leak out he bottom like a sieve, and the most deserving and needy ones never seem to have it, and some never seem to ween off of it.  It maybe abused in the hands o f the schools, but not to the extent it is by the State and Federal Govt.   I live in NW Indiana, and I'm sure there are people collecting assistance, from Illinois, Indiana, and possibly Michigan.  And they own boats, Jet Skis, several cars, you name it they have it, because they scan the Government and get away with it.  Besides the IRS who makes anyone accountable in state or federal Government.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Well I guess we all tried. There goes the neighborhood.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #192 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:54 PM »
its the wave of the future! lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Welcome to Alabama north,just saw that Republicans. now want to drug test for welfare ,another waste ,they should first test everyone running for public office, sure sounds like less goverment to me .

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:30 PM »
drug test your first day you show up for work, if you want to mooch off the taxpayers or just fall into hard times you should be busy improving our communities. Enough of the freeloading. What does that make me?

Offline gotime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Welcome to Alabama north,just saw that Republicans. now want to drug test for welfare ,another waste ,they should first test everyone running for public office, sure sounds like less goverment to me .
it's not more government !!!! If you are in need of wellfare you are asking the government into your business, if my tax $ are going to support someones drug habit that is BS.....and it happens all the time ??? ??? ???

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Maybe Indiana Welfare recipients might be different but when it was tried in other states the cost of testing outweighed the benefits of the people that are dirty  ,On the job we have to test, no problem with that it ,just the people that make the rules never have to follow them. How many of the politicians in INDY could pass a wiz quiz

Offline gotime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:00 PM »
If they want in the program they should pay for the test if they pass they get half back if they don't they shouldn't get the $$.....I see what you mean about the rule makers, but they are not asking for free money. Some people are selling their food stamps for pennies on the dollar just so they can get a fix :( :(

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #198 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Union bricklayer local 4 chapter 18. Ditch Mitch. Maybe he can lease out the right to work.lol.
union bricklayer local 3 toledo  was 4    there goes a good wage

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:07 PM »
This will probably be my last reply on rtw ,i know there are a lot of union haters out there ,you always hear the term thugs , henchmen i don't see that at my union .here's what i don't understand, the union uses pac money for political contributions that benefit the workers ,. To me the unions are fighting a uphill battle  against corprate lobbyist,the national right to work comminitee  an the republican party an chamber of commerse  an if the unions go down  there wont be anything stopping big bussiness from doing anything they want to make  profits.  The workers won't have a voice but companys will .

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #200 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:34 PM »
So then why is it then when the worker needs a voice we give the money to democrats like slick willy?  He's the one that pushed nafta...and ushered in GAT...the global agreement on trade.  Those two alone shipped jobs out of country, but then we almost sold our soveriegnty by coming up with crazy environmental agreements like Kyoto.  Seems like labor might need to find a whole new set of "friends"

Offline kodiak88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:39 PM »
totally agree pipeboy98
“Many of you have in your veins Geman and Italian blood. But remember that these ancestors of yours so loved freedom that they gave up home and country to cross the ocean in search of liberty. The ancestors of the people we shall kill lacked the courage to make such a sacrifice and remained slaves.” — George S. Patton

Offline BIGKAT9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:09 PM »
I dont know about Wisconsin but down here in Indiana the Democrats are for labor ,and in my 32 years of being eligible to vote the Republicans have never been for labor ,just wondering did you sign the Walker recall petition pipeboy ?

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:20 AM »
nope...why would i want to penalize a politician for actually doing what he said he would do while he was running for office??  that would set a bad example don't you think??

Offline rjflynn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #204 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:46 AM »
Local 2209 here and I think its a disgrace the unions get hit all the time and the companies just keep making more and more money

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:22 AM »
Federal government VA union nurse because I believe we all need a voice! Even though all they hear is the money being counted.

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:34 AM »
For the mass majority real wages have not kept up with inflation for the last thirty years, but profits for the rich have increased 10 fold. Just something I heard off the radio, can't verify the source or the facts. Gosh I wish I had someplace to fish.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #207 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:46 AM »
NAFTA was a Reagan Busch program that passed during Clinton administration so blame both parties for that one.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Some might want to educate themselves on NAFTA.

It reduces the duties and tariffs on US made items being exported to Mexico or Canada, many items previously were not exported because it simply wasn't worth it with the high tariffs and duties.  Many of those items are union made.  It increased the volume of items that could be made in the US and exported, while increasing their market, so what is the issue??? 
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Some might want to educate themselves on NAFTA.

It reduces the duties and tariffs on US made items being exported to Mexico or Canada, many items previously were not exported because it simply wasn't worth it with the high tariffs and duties.  Many of those items are union made.  It increased the volume of items that could be made in the US and exported, while increasing their market, so what is the issue???

Come on Crappie66....you mean people are supposed to actually research and know what it is they are b%$^ing about instead of just repeating what they heard from someone else at the water cooler or bar?  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.