Author Topic: New toys for 2012  (Read 3790 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
New toys for 2012
« on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Well while most of us except the daring are still waiting to get out on the ice I figured I'd ask the question as to what new toys anyone got for this season.  Personally I got a new pair of the Arctic Muck Boots which I can't wait to try out, and I also got my first flasher which I'm extatic about!!! How about everyone else?

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New toys for 2012
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:47 PM »
A pair of floaties.

Offline fishsammich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I remember when I got my first fish finder.  You can tinker with those things
for hours.

I got the regular stuff this year.  A lot new jigs and things.

I have to wait for at least 3 and 1/2 inches to get on the ice being because of I weigh 285 Lbs. + with gear.

I wanted to drill some holes today but I gotta wait.

Fish

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:58 PM »
haha I hear ya, I've been reading the book over and over.  And yeah I'm not headin out till I see a solid 4 of black

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:00 PM »
Well while most of us except the daring are still waiting to get out on the ice I figured I'd ask the question as to what new toys anyone got for this season.  Personally I got a new pair of the Arctic Muck Boots which I can't wait to try out, and I also got my first flasher which I'm extatic about!!! How about everyone else?

Those Muck boots won't disappoint you. That's what I want to get. The flasher is a good investment so long as you don't venture out on thin ice (tongue in cheek.....you who get this part know what I mean) and find it at the bottom of some lake because you couldn't wait for SAFE ICE.

As for me, I haven't spent a dime on ice fishing this year and with the season we've had I'm glad I didn't. I do want a new sled from Dow's though when we have some hardwater. BTW:- I'll be fishing for "stocked" lunkers at the Pequest and maybe even find a few wanderers from the Delaware river. On a side note I like Muskie/Pike fishing but they don't fight like Steelhead up at the Salmon River nor do they compare to Kings either. I would add that a 24" Pike don't fight like a 24" stocked trout either. But that's just my opinion. Touche!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Of course a 24" inch pike doesn't fight as hard as a 24" trout because the trout are more than twice as heavy! I yanked the 29" pike from yesterday out in less than 30 seconds and it took me about 5 minutes to land this 28.5" brown.

I didn't weigh the pike because it was small, but I'm guessing it was 5-6lbs and the trout was over 12. Now a 40"+ pike is a different story. I've had a few take me over 15 minutes to get in. But if you want a real fight try bringing in a 40lb carp.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Btw that air mattress is meant for humans.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Back to toys, has anyone else used inner tubes to float tipups? I might pick a few up and give it a try this weekend  :tipup:

Offline dish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying my new marcum lx5.  Can't wait to compare to my old flasher.

I figure that this seasons late ice is because I bought a new flasher....sorry guys....my bad.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Of course a 24" inch pike doesn't fight as hard as a 24" trout because the trout are more than twice as heavy! I yanked the 29" pike from yesterday out in less than 30 seconds and it took me about 5 minutes to land this 28.5" brown.

(Image removed from quote.)

I didn't weigh the pike because it was small, but I'm guessing it was 5-6lbs and the trout was over 12. Now a 40"+ pike is a different story. I've had a few take me over 15 minutes to get in. But if you want a real fight try bringing in a 40lb carp.

(Image removed from quote.)

I got to tell you I don't always agree with your logic and or get your busting chops but you are one heck of a fisherman!!!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Thanks. My sense of humor is tough to swallow for some people, try not to take it the wrong way. I'm just trying to pass the time and keep from going clinically insane with this lack of ice.

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Back to toys, has anyone else used inner tubes to float tipups? I might pick a few up and give it a try this weekend  :tipup:

Styrofoam squares

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I think the carp has a bigger waist then me  ;D

Offline jigger man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:03 PM »
went to cabela's today picked up new sled     mounted trolling motor  hooked up sonar just looking for my life jacket's

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:26 PM »
got a new nils power auger and can't wait to use it on Thursday in Vt.... will post a report when i get back.. supposedly there is 6+ inches in the islands..

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:25 PM »
just got a new humminbird off ebay, new anchor mate for my boat, and im in the process of building a push pole for it (just hacked up my finger pretty good with a saw....little hiatus from that project) and got some so many new ice fishing jigs that have yet to be de-virginized!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:16 AM »
I'm honestly glad I didn't cave and buy a flasher a couple weeks back. Did get some nice freshwater stuff for Christmas though. Got a Dobyns 795ml swimbait rod paired with a Curado 301e and a Powell 706cb rod that will be nice to throw pointers and cranks with.

For ice fishing I did get one of those new fenwick jiggin sticks(ml) and a micro president to put on it. Also booked my trip to Champlain for the first week of June, didn't get to go last year due to me having to get married. :unsure:

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:55 PM »
haha I agree Dish, I apologize for the weather, my gf tells me it's because she got me the flasher and I got the boots.  Really hoping we can get out soon so everyone cause use their stuff. That trout and carp are beasts!!!

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:24 PM »
now thats a trout were did you catch the monster

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:50 PM »
The trout was from CT and the carp was caught right here in Jersey.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:21 PM »
What flasher did you get AJ?
:icefish:

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:05 PM »
Umm not sure which model, but it's the Lowrance that is the same model as shawns, except the newer version so idk exactly what different except i belive the coloring is a little more vibrant and the depth might be a little more, but other than that not too sure since I haven't been able to play with it yet :-\ but I'm choppin at the bit to get it out there.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2012, 04:55 AM »
Umm not sure which model, but it's the Lowrance that is the same model as shawns, except the newer version
does this mean you'll out fish him now :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:51 AM »
That day will never happen! !!
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline littlebigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Nils 8 in power,havent drilled any holes with it but i did take the blades off it and used it to shave.wanted my wife to take pic so i could post it but she said i is nuts ::)

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:23 PM »
New toys for 2012.  Just got a set of picks in case I go swimming... probably gonna need them this year. ;D

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:06 AM »
have a spare IDI suit I'll sell you :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Umm not sure which model, but it's the Lowrance that is the same model as shawns, except the newer version
does this mean you'll out fish him now :tipup:
That day will never happen! !!

I don't know Shawn "icehopper" is getting better every year !!   ;D  :icefish: 

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:13 AM »
have a spare IDI suit I'll sell you :tipup:

gunna need it with the thin ice this year

Offline acaravaglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those trout.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:23 PM »
NIce Brown Trout!!!

I got a new auger, a few new rods and tip ups and am dying to use them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.