Author Topic: New to Denver and ice fishing the rockies  (Read 709 times)

Offline brian434

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Denver and ice fishing the rockies
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:20 PM »
So I'd be more than happy to share information on where to fish and what with off the coast of MS and LA but I'm a long ways from my old fishing holes.  Can anyone shed some light on where to ice fish and what to use for bait?  I grew up fishing for gills in Michigan but that was gills and perch only really.  Wax worms and mousies work here for trout and what not?

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to Denver and ice fishing the rockies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Hey Brian. Welcome to Denver. Most of the perch techniques will work for trout. Small jigs with a wax or meal worm work great. As far as where to fish for trout... There have been good reports from Chatfield, but I am not sure what toll the warm weather has taken on the ice there. Antero is the popular choice for most people. It can be pretty crowded, bit that might be an opportunity to talk to other guys to get some local tips. Good luck.

Offline elklver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:14 AM »
Hi Brian
If you are willing to travel a couple of hours you will have the opportunity to fish for everything from pike to lakers.  Check out elevenmile as well.  Granby is not too far and the laker and kokanee fishing there can be out of this world.  Try using tube jigs tipped with sucker meat for the lakers in Granby.

Take care

Offline brian434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Thanks folks!  I hope we can get some good cold weather to get that ice safe enough to fish.  I have LOTS of free time now just waiting for the phone to ring for my next gig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.