Author Topic: red hooks vs silver hooks?  (Read 18382 times)

Offline boydlakemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
red hooks vs silver hooks?
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:34 PM »
went out opening day unprepared had to change hooks on two traps all i had were regular # 8 hooks with spinners. didnt get a single flag on the two traps all day!!! however my regular #8red circle hooks netted me 6 flags for 2 nice14 in trout! anyoe else experience something similiar. needless to say im stocked up on the red now!

Offline barkspud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Real fisherman take children fishing
Re: red hooks vs silver hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I like the red hooks as well.  Ive caught lots of mackeral on a plan red hook no bait.
DUDE THAT'S A NICE FISH CAN I USE IT FOR BAIT?     

Fish stories limited too 40'' or 40 minutes wich ever comes first.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Red hooks have treated me well, both open water and ice fishing. I don't use anything else.

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2011 Ice Shanty Fantasy NASCAR Champion
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Red hooks and flurocarbon line..got to have 'em both

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:51 PM »
yep I have even confinced a few fishing buddies whom go with me.  They would watch me chase flags while they changed over to my red hooks. 

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I tried those flicker hooks with the spinner blade on them last year. I dont think i ever got anything using them. I think the hooks on those are actually gold.

Silver vs red, i think red wins.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:14 PM »
I've used red gamakatsu octopus hooks for years now with great success. I dont know how much of a diff the red color makes but I like em.

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:43 PM »
RED. I only have red hooks in my box. I didnt beleive tha they would make as much difference as they do but seem to out fish all other colors. I have tried the neon colors as well but the red ones are the best.

Offline teabagger1773

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:51 PM »
I was told by a guy who was fishing next to me last year that red hooks wont rust out of a fish if you have to cut the line. I have noticed an increase in bites with red hooks but i am always worried that it might not be the best thing for catch and release so i got away from them this year. Could anybody shed some light on the corrosive properties of red hooks?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I've used red gamakatsu octopus hooks for years now with great success. I dont know how much of a diff the red color makes but I like em.

Thats what I have used too with great success except im experimenting with some circles right now that are black.

Offline Art Vandelay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:58 PM »
http://
Not sure it really makes much difference.  That said, I prefer a red octopus hook #8 with 6lb flouro

Offline Kindguyry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Phish on!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Green all day.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:23 PM »
I have heard that too about the red hooks but I don't loose many hooks when Icefishing now if you were throwing red hooks into the weeds and loosing them all day I would agree.

Offline teabagger1773

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:28 PM »
if i'm not going to fillet it for grandma i cut the line on anything that's not lip hooked. hate to see a fish swim away with a fatal piece of jewelry though. once i am out of red hooks i don't think i will buy more just in case.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:37 AM »
I dont think its the "red" hooks necesarrily that wont corrode away. I have read that it is the gold plating (or other type of plating) under the red that is protective against corroding. I am not sure that all red hooks are plated with a protective material or not..

Offline Dookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:05 AM »
I also only use red hooks for ice and open water. They have done me good

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I prefer red hooks. When I snell them I also add a small bead just above the eye of the hook. Works great on trout and salmon.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Always red on the hard water and open water.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:07 AM »
I've used red hooks and I use black and I havnt noticed any difference of either...to me it would be like saying a red car out performs a black car of the same model...however I have read some info about red being "invisible" in deeper water due to light penetration...seems to hold some value but don't think red makes much difference if any...my .02

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Only the reds for me.  ;D

Offline hap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:42 PM »
There is some legitimate science behind red hooks being less visible at depths. Lower frequency light waves travel deeper in water than the higher frequencies. U.V. light for instance can travel great distances in water and to great depths, where red being at the other end of the spectrum, if there is no red light waves to be reflected, red things won't be seen. There is an attractant based on this premises. It's basically an environmentally friendly u.v. spray meant to reflect the available u.v. light in deeper water to attract fish. It's also proven that fish can see u.v. light.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:03 AM »
I was told by a guy who was fishing next to me last year that red hooks wont rust out of a fish if you have to cut the line. I have noticed an increase in bites with red hooks but i am always worried that it might not be the best thing for catch and release so i got away from them this year. Could anybody shed some light on the corrosive properties of red hooks?

The plating used on red hooks is less corrosive then your standard plain bronzed hooks, and also more resistant then nickel plate, gold, and platinum black. few platings are less corrosive then red, these include, "sea guard"s, duratin, and solid stainless. all hooks will rust out in a fish's lifetime except for the stainless hooks. a red hook takes about three times longer to rust then a bronzed hook.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:19 AM »
i KILL it with fluorescent yellow, orange and green circle hooks from Gamakatsu

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:41 PM »
what size hooks do yo guys use? red hooks that is  hahaha...
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:37 AM »
i use size six or size eight RED trebles with a few beads and a colorado blade above it, all on fluorocarbon line

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:23 AM »
I found a red treble hook in the belly of a 20' Walleye a few weeks ago, two things stood out to me.  First the hook was part of a handmade rig made with 10lb seven strand steel leader and crimping sleaves.  There is ZERO doubt in my mind that I made this rig and I could tell you with certanty that this fish snapped that line two days before.  With the hook and the rest of the materials used this was without a doubt a rig I made and had givin to a friend who then was snapped off.  He had the other half of this rig and the two peices matched up perfect. 

The other thing that stood out was almost all the red on the hook was gone.  I use only Gamakatsu hooks which are of the highest quality if you ask me.

Alot of people including me think that red is almost invisible under water but there are plenty of lure manufactures that claim there red hooks look like a bleeding minnow.  I'm not sure about whos actually correct but I sure go through alot of red hooks each year.
“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I' also have learned over the years that hook color can trigger bites on otherwise finickey fish. That's why I include red, black, silver, bronze, and gold hooks on similar patterned jigs and such. Try gold on dark overcast days in springfed lakes sometime ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I use the colored (painted) #8 Gamakatsu hooks with success.  Red and orange for perch, glow and chartreuse for crappies.  Two orange or glow beads above the hook, too.

Offline thinskim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:04 AM »
hmmm, have to try some reds.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Red, white and gold hooks for me. Gold and a minnow really works on perch sometimes. Glow-white single hooks with a minnow when tip-up fishing deep water tends to outfish others I've tried.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.