The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing around Stanley  (Read 1291 times)

Offline crow223

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing around Stanley
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:41 AM »
Will be drilling a well 16 miles North of Stanley next week. Any good spots to fish after work? Was looking on a map and saw upper and lower lostwood. They any good? not looking to fill my freezer. I'd like to ice a northern or two if I could though.
Thanks,
Dan

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Ice fishing around Stanley
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:17 PM »
   you might try Cottonwod Lake by Alamo .

Offline Perch tugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:27 PM »
Check with the guys at Outback Sports in Stanley.  They should be able to give you some spots to try.  I think I would give White earth Dam a try if the ice is good.

Offline crow223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:33 PM »
Got to rig tonight and it was 42 degrees outside! I think I'll be staying away from the ice for a while.

Offline crow223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Was able to get away for a couple hours last night. Went to Powers lake, since it's only 15 miles from my rig. I have to stay close in case there is a problem with the gear I'm running on the rig.
Went out from the boat ramp about 30-40 yards off shore. The warm weather has melted off the snow. That ice was SLICK! Even with cleats on, drilling holes therough that 14" of ice was a chore.  No fish were caught, but it was nice to get off the rig for a while, and soak some bait in some different water. Will try it again tomorrow after work.  Plan on hitting smishik lake some next week as well.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:43 PM »
YOU SHOULD GET INTO THE PERCH THERE WITH WAXIES :tipup:
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline jdcox82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:32 PM »
What fish species are in Smishik lake?

Offline crow223

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Managed to get away from the rig for a couple hours during the daylight yesterday. Had 3 flags and iced 2 pike yesterday. They were no monsters. Each is about 2 lbs, but they are the first pike I've ever caught, so it was really cool for me!

Offline jdcox82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:47 PM »
congrats where did you end up fishing?

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:50 PM »
Check out gf.nd.gov . It is the North Dakota Game and Fish web site.  They have stocking reports and contour maps (no contour map of Sakakwea or Oahe) of all of the lakes they manage in ND.  If I were you, I would check out the Van Hook arm of Sakakwea.  It is about 20 miles south of Stanley.  I do not know the fishing very well but if there are fish being caught, it will be evident by the people.  This cold snap we are having should make for good ice on the big lake but I am always cautious especially on Sak.  Darling would be another option but a little further away.  Darling can be great.  I don't fish the area anymore since I moved to Bismarck so I have no precise info for you.  Good luck!
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.