Author Topic: Newbie will be on Candlewood Lake this season...  (Read 1129 times)

Offline VinnyH

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie will be on Candlewood Lake this season...
« on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Hello,
I'm a NY reservoir warm weather bass and trout guy and will finally try ice fishing this winter. Lucky for me my sister has a house on Candlewood Lake now and I have convenient access to the ice. I'd appreciate any basic tips. I'll mainly be at the south end toward the Danbury Launch. I have a couple of "TipDowns" that I got from a friend and will be exploring the classic Tip-ups.

Besides bass that I've caught around there, what species might be worth targeting?

All ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Best to All,
VinnyH

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Newbie will be on Candlewood Lake this season...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:09 PM »
That area may freeze enough for you to get out there.  I have yet to ice fish candlewood but have spent hours there fishing during the summer.  Largemouths and Smallmouths would be the primary target in that area.  Maybe some trout, a fair number of them are stocked in candlewood every year.  Other than that you could jig for panfish.  There are walleye in there but not so much in that area. 

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:16 PM »
lowaccord66 have you ever caught walleye in there? I know the records there but they're pretty much extinct. And yeah Small mouth and perch are primary for me.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:36 PM »
lowaccord66 have you ever caught walleye in there? I know the records there but they're pretty much extinct. And yeah Small mouth and perch are primary for me.

;D I'm glad you think they are extinct there, tell your friends!  Do your homework, the state stocked them in the 30's directly in Candlewood.  Later they started stocking them in Squantz, you did know that Squantz and Candlewood are connected right?

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:09 PM »
My group spends countless hours each yr in that section of cwood (buddy lives on water there) and it can produce except the walleye turn around when they hit Danbury line and head back to the tunnel (joke)
Good fishing and well see ya when it freezes.

Offline VinnyH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I think I've heard that the walleye tend to be up in the Squantz launch part of the lake.

Best to All,
VinnyH

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Welcome Vinnyh  to the site . the valley angler  tackle shop does a great  ice outing every year called the jig and pig . If you are around that weekend its well done and a lot of fun .I fish candlewood open water and some ice there but i am no expert by any means .  John at the  valley angler probably forgot more about candlewood than i will ever know . He is well worth talkin with . Good Luck and be safe .

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:03 PM »
John is a stand up guy I can attest to that!  Jammer they only go in the tunnel when your targeting them!!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Lowaccord, i hear ya thats why i wait on the other side (too many evenings).

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:45 PM »
LMAO!  Where's elcaptainmas he knows exactly when they get to the other side!

Offline VinnyH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Welcome Vinnyh  to the site . the valley angler  tackle shop does a great  ice outing every year called the jig and pig . If you are around that weekend its well done and a lot of fun .I fish candlewood open water and some ice there but i am no expert by any means .  John at the  valley angler probably forgot more about candlewood than i will ever know . He is well worth talkin with . Good Luck and be safe .
The Valley Angler is the shop on Route 37? I've been in there a couple of times and they've always been helpful.

Best to All,
VinnyH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.