Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: where to go on an ice fishing vacation?  (Read 5226 times)

Offline locdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
where to go on an ice fishing vacation?
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:52 PM »
i'd like to head north and do some ice fishing.  would like to stay in a heated ice house rental on a lake for a night or two.  any recommendations? minnesota/south dakota?

Offline marbleyz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: where to go on an ice fishing vacation?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:49 PM »
How far north do u want to go? I would recommend percheyes guide service, from devils lake north Dakota.  Jason and Chris are top notch guides and you will have a blast. You can look them up on their website at www.percheyes.com

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 12:15 AM »
Mille Lacs is still open in the middle..... :'(

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:27 AM »
How far north do u want to go? I would recommend percheyes guide service, from devils lake north Dakota.  Jason and Chris are top notch guides and you will have a blast. You can look them up on their website at www.percheyes.com

I've done a guided trip through www.percheyes.com. Was the worst guide I ever have had. It's sad when the minnow bucket the guy brings out smells worse then a truck stop bathroom. Not only that if you can stomach Jason's ego all day ur doing better then most. I know people are different, but I wouldn't go back to that guide if the trip was paid and I got paid to go. Hands down worse guided trip ever.

Now, back to the topic at hand. Depends on what you are looking for. Perch, Pike, Walleye, or something else?

If you are looking for a trip with a sleeper, Upper Red lake is hard to beat. We've caught a number of pike around 40 inches with 47 being the biggest. Plus the walleye action is unreal. I've heard that Lake of the Woods is also a great place, but have never been there.

I've done these trips.

Devil's Lake-Perch Eyes
Winnibigosh-Nodak's
Upper Red Lake- Ravelings, Chad Benson, Johnny P.
Mill Lacs-Fisherman's wharf
Waubay-Sportsmans cove-sleepers were great.

Just did Upper Red for the 4th time we've been up there, after having Mill Lacs being a let down last year. Next year we all agreed to go to Lake of the Woods. We've heard a lot of great things about it, but it's just hard to drive past Upper Red when you've had the luck that we've had out of the 4 trips we've had three wall hangers, and a trip where we caught over 100 walleye a day. Never have any of us ever gotten to the point were we were so sick of catching walleye that we actually quit. At Upper Red we pulled the rattle wheels we were so sick of catching walleye we just wanted to sleep. Waubay is a hit or miss. Winnibigosh was great for perching. Devil's had some nice perch, pike were all small and the walleye were tuff to get.

Personally, if what I've heard about Lake of the Woods is true, then I would suggest going there. I've got a summer vacation planned with the entire family so I'll know by mid summer if it is going to be on the ice fishing list.

Another good lake I haven't hit is Leech Lake.

With you're post it sounds like you are looking for a sleeper shack. From my understanding LOTW & Upper Red are the lakes you'd wanna go to if ur looking for a sleeper shacks they seem to take it to the sleeper shacks to the Max. Waubay in SD is just sportsmans cove which sets out one or two sleepers & With the weather screwing with the ice it limits where u can go on most lakes, so I'd suggest heading farther north it will give u lakes with  better ice.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:04 PM »
If you are looking for a trip with a sleeper, Upper Red lake is hard to beat. We've caught a number of pike around 40 inches with 47 being the biggest. Plus the walleye action is unreal.

I have two friends butchering the walleye on red as we speak. They have been sending me pics all day....

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Northern canada or alaska after today no safe ice in south dakota or minnasota crazy weather maybe the world is coming to an end?????? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Never to many short poles

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Going up to url sunday-wed.  Back up there on the 20th also.  Glad to hear the bite is back on again.  How many fow?

Offline teamhalverson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2012, 07:52 AM »
 We went to Lake Of The woods for the first time last last March. It was an incredible trip and we are booked for the same this year. Went out of Ballard's resort just north of Baudette. First class service and the guides work very hard to put you on fish. We caught a ton of sauger and walleye. Also iced a couple 22, and 23 in. eyes. Of course they are slots so a pic and back they went. This was a day shack trip because LOW is a black bottom lake and there is no night bite. There also are a lot of other resorts right in this area. Wigwam, Sportsman, Borderview are a few. I understand they all do a great job. I did just research Borderview and they have sleepers that are very reasonable and they will ether take you out by bomardier or they plow their own road and you can drive out and come and go as you please. Hope this helps.      RIP SOME LIPS!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Northern canada or alaska after today no safe ice in south dakota or minnasota crazy weather maybe the world is coming to an end?????? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

BS.... Plenty of safe ice in MN. Not only safe ice, but pickup truck safe ice. I fished a lake with 14'' of the best ice I have ever seen. It is so clear, I can see the weedbeds in 12 feet of water. The only reason Mille Lacs is messed up is because it is so huge and the middle won't freeze in. There is a foot on the southern bays, but chunks break off and float out to sea. That's the problem with Mille Lacs, no one is falling through, they just find themselves marooned on an ice island.

No water on the ice either, it's really good stuff. 

Going up to url sunday-wed.  Back up there on the 20th also.  Glad to hear the bite is back on again.  How many fow?

John said 14fow, but that's half the lake.... he is tight lipped!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:55 PM »
southern iowa if it gets colder was out today good ice in morning 4" and by late afternoon scarey the lake looked open but caught 82 keepers and had to buy more bait because the fish were biting crazy :tipup: ;D ;D ;D wish season wasnt going to be so short.Good luck guys be safe!!!!!!
Never to many short poles

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I have two friends butchering the walleye on red as we speak. They have been sending me pics all day....

Did they get any big walleyes? We had a couple in the 20-23 range.

Offline pis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Ottertail Lake in Minnesota was a fun trip for me.  Lot's of Jumbo Perch

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Did they get any big walleyes? We had a couple in the 20-23 range.

He never said lengths, but I would guess that many were in that range from the pics he sent me.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:53 PM »
Fished Url a week ago had many in the 20+ range. Alot were barely 17inches for some reason. Got some eaters and had a helluva time.  Heading back up there Friday.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:41 AM »
Fished Url a week ago had many in the 20+ range. Alot were barely 17inches for some reason. Got some eaters and had a helluva time.  Heading back up there Friday.

Did you catch any 15 in. crappie? I haven't see them for the last couple of years, but I seen a group that went up and limmited out on waldos every day and had 22 crappie that were 14-15 inches.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Sah-Kah-Tay resort on Cass Lake. Was there two weeks ago and loved every minute of it. Great accommodations, nice people and good fishing. PM me if you want info on them.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:32 PM »
No crappies this time but heading back up tommorow. Hopefully get a few.  If not the bottle bass always bite.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:46 PM »
i'd like to head north and do some ice fishing.  would like to stay in a heated ice house rental on a lake for a night or two.  any recommendations? minnesota/south dakota?

So did you ever plan or go on a trip?

Offline locdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:58 AM »
no I ended up going to Green Bay to watch the Giants/Packers divisional playoff game.  would have loved to stay longer and do some fishing but had to head back home.  was pretty cool to see the Giants win!  go G-men!

Offline Furley Outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:53 AM »
There is a new "sleeper" option this year in southern Wisconsin. Furley Outdoors is renting a 2-3 person sleeper shack on Lake Koshkonong. Most anglers target walleye and norther pike with tip-ups and live bait on this large, shallow lake. Lake Koshkonong is located just southeast of Madison. Good luck this year and stay safe! :tipup:

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:13 AM »
southern iowa if it gets colder was out today good ice in morning 4" and by late afternoon scarey the lake looked open but caught 82 keepers and had to buy more bait because the fish were biting crazy :tipup: ;D ;D ;D wish season wasnt going to be so short.Good luck guys be safe!!!!!!

OMG I was getting so jealous wondering how yall had ice already, scratching my head. Then I seen it was 2012 post lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.