Author Topic: Walleye in Gravel Pit  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
Walleye in Gravel Pit
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Just released about 16 walleyes into the gravel pit in my back yard. Was wondering if anyone has caught a walleye in that type of environment. And how well they do? I don't expect them to spawn but just would be fun to see how the grow.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye in Gravel Pit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:54 PM »
I have around GI.  They werent the healthiest looking fish though.  Be sure to have some source of food for them besides bugs.  Or they will look long and gangly.

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:30 PM »
They have all the little perch, crappie, and bluegills they could ever want.   

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I am hoping they will feed on the thousands of gill and crappie that are in there.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:39 PM »
How deep does it get?

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:52 PM »
35 ft i would guess it's around 15 surface acres. I also need to sink a bunch of trees this winter. There's not much cover.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Must have fished the river this weekend?

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Yeah some really good fishing

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:14 PM »
I think you had a good guide.

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Great guide only problem was his driving skills in the sand;)

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:56 AM »
boooooo

Offline PhishOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Whats the limit on Walleyes where you come from????
Hard as Ice!!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:17 AM »
4 with one over 22
Where's the ice

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I would say after I put them in my pit as many as I want haha

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:38 PM »
don't let the game warden catch you with more than a limit.... state limits still extend to private bodies of water

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:45 AM »
According to the GF&P I don't even need a fishing license. It's entirely on private ground, privatly stocked and has no inlet or outlet. " An Angler wanting to remove fish from the permises must have a written statement from the pond owner with the owners name and number of fish taken"

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:36 AM »
I can See this starting something.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Im pretty sire he's right about it tho...
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Yeah....Nebraska is strange that way.  In a lot of midwest states, transportation of live game fish for any purpose is prohibited.  My dad was in canada and they gave him an earful after a walleye even flopped in a cooler of ice after being clubbed minutes before.  But...I didn't see anything that prohibits posession of live game fish.  We tote ours home in livewells to clean all the time so I don't see the difference.  We've transplanted crappies (dinks) to feed pike in a small pond a little north of here.  But if you wanted them to thrive, depending on the size of the pond, a careful seine of creek chubs or something for food might work (but some creek dwellers can ruin a pond since they are baby carp and stuff).  I know people say that walleyes eat little gills and stuff, but the walleyes I've seen come out of Buckskin (although huge) are gnarly looking fish.  Brown and ragged for sure.   I think it has a lot to do with bottom composition.  River walleyes / saugeyes we catch are bleach white on the bottom.  The ones from Willow Creek were always kind of tan or beige in the belly and Buckskins are downright brown.   Might just be the tannins in the water though.  I should definitely come take a look at this pond with you in a couple years to be sure you're doing it right...LOL...   :-)   Hope you get a population going.  A private walleye fishery is difficult to maintain I'll bet....but worth a shot.  I hope so.  I normally release my legal keepers into a small shallow pond of hot peanut oil and then seine them out after 4 minutes or so.  To my knowledge, they have never reproduced in this environment.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Im not trying to start anything, and actually Im a "bucket biologist" myself.   I transported almost 200 gills to my grandpa's small gravel pit 2 years ago because the bass were under fed.   All im saying is be careful when you transport them.  Not only when stocking them but after catching them too.   If a duck  catches you with more walleye than you're allowed, you'll get a citation.  For all he knows, you pulled them out of  a public lake, even though it was your private pit.  Im kind of curious to see how well they do in there.   ??? ???

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I live there so I don't think I'll have to worry about it. I am more interested if the walleye will reproduce in there. And what kind of structure they would need to do so. They are more or less pets at this point. In 5 years if I have a lake over run with walleye all the better.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:41 PM »
I'm no biologist but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night...

I doubt you'll have any reproduction fo the walleye there. From what I understand, they require a rocky, oxygenated spawning bed. Unless you have a great deal of riprap or large rock you have installed along the shoreline for erosion, they won't get a spawn.

Offline Tic addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:46 PM »
I know that they claim there is no reproduction in our state at all even in the large lake Mac. Only slight reproduction in rivers that they know of so i doubt it. ( I am just wondering one thing if our money is being used to stock these waters and run the hatcheries and fund the efforts to get the eggs to do so why are we allowing people to steal them for there personal stocking?)  ARE WE PAYING FOR STOCKING YOUR POND TO THEN?
"Jiggem"

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:41 PM »
haha  don't ya know all your money is used to keep the "cowboy trail" in good shape because the nebraska game fish and parks are worthless.  You can't even ride a horse on the cowboy trail.... your suppose  to ride on the side where all the old spikes are laying....thats real smart....Or all the Hikers and Bikers you see on the trail..oh what there never is anyone....They also used your money to stock walleye in big mac then they used your money again to stock hybrid bass in there that ate all the walleye....So I wouldn't worry about Personal Stocking if any thing he just saved a few walleye from the wrath of the game fish and parks...

Offline Bigpoleti

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:13 PM »
I know that they claim there is no reproduction in our state at all even in the large lake Mac. Only slight reproduction in rivers that they know of so i doubt it. ( I am just wondering one thing if our money is being used to stock these waters and run the hatcheries and fund the efforts to get the eggs to do so why are we allowing people to steal them for there personal stocking?)  ARE WE PAYING FOR STOCKING YOUR POND TO THEN?

Am I paying for you to stock your belly?

Offline Tic addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Why yes you are!!!!!!
"Jiggem"

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2012, 01:15 PM »
We caught one of the walleyes that we released back in december of 2011.   It was one of the 16 inchers we let go and it did not get any longer in 6 months but it was very fat so they are getting plenty to eat.....goo deal

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I'm no biologist but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night...

I doubt you'll have any reproduction fo the walleye there. From what I understand, they require a rocky, oxygenated spawning bed. Unless you have a great deal of riprap or large rock you have installed along the shoreline for erosion, they won't get a spawn.

They spawn in the marshes around here, as well as rocky shoreline, but the marshes are the main spawning area.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jul 05, 2012, 09:47 AM »
at least they lived......   The spawn has come and go for the walleye this year. I would be very surprised if they will  reproduce but hey have fun fishing. 
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline hillbill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jul 05, 2012, 04:46 PM »
We released two a few years back in my dads sand pit. Since releasing them we have caught both (in good condition). I have not seen or caught any young since, so I have to say no to them spawning too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.