Author Topic: New To Ice fishing what Tip-ups should I get?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline hookembob

• IceShanty Rookie
New To Ice fishing what Tip-ups should I get?
« on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Hi All, I have never Ice fished before. We live on Amston Lake. And I have a six year old son with Autism, so I was thinking this maybe something he and I could do together with out getting into to much trouble. I have taken him fishing in the past, as long as he is getting fish he is fine, when the bite stops he wants to play around in the water no mater how cold it maybe. So if its all Ice on the lake all he can do is run on the ice.
   I have fished for years but never Ice fished. What Tip-ups should I get? And seeing we can't use gas of any kind on Amston Lake is there one hand Auger better then another??? Thanks for any help. Bob

Offline RLinc07

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New To Ice fishing what Tip-ups should I get?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:44 AM »
I have had the Frabill Arctic Fire tip ups for 2 years and have never had a problem with them. I'd recommend them to anyone, and they are relatively cheap at 15 bucks a piece.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:25 AM »
Welcome aboard! ;D I think it's awesome you are getting your son into the sport...

There are a lot of ways to approach ice fishing... I know it's a bit of a hike for you but if you are so inclined, stop by my shop, CT Outfitters. We have by far the best selection of gear around. Everyone that works there fishes and is as passionate and knowledgable about the sport as you could hope to find in a shop. No pressure to buy anything but stopping by would be a great way of seeing the different gear out there. We can educate you on the pros and cons of different set ups and answer any questions you may have.  ;)

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 11:51 AM »
Bob,
You are going to get a lot of opinions on personal preferences here. I have my own. I suggest you take a ride to CT outfitters, handle the different traps, see how they all function and have Blaine show you the pro's and cons of the different types. He is a wealth of knowledge and then you can make up your own mind. If your going to do any night fishing consider how the tip-up lights will attach to the flag, some designs are better than others for this. CTO will be worth your ride. Nothing better than getting out there with your kids. Good luck.
Hawk

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I'd second the trip to CTO, very helpful shop and well stocked.   Also, use the different boards here on Ice Shanty.  Tons of info regarding tip ups, augers and even how to entertain kids on the ice.   With the recent change in the fishing regulations, the two of you can have up to 12 lines in the water or 6 a piece.    With more lines in the water, more likely to see some action which helps keep kids from getting too bored. 

Good luck to you and your son on the ice this year.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:29 PM »
The way this season isn't going  I would look for float-able tilts that cast easily from shore ;)!!!

Seriously, I would recommend you invest in two kinds of tip-ups.
Polars are great if there isn't much snow on the ice. The tops spins as the fish is spooling so you don't have to look down the hole to have an idea of what's going on. But if we get a significant amount of snow you're going to need a few "tall boys", where the flag flies high above the snow.
You should be able to get fairly good quality tilts for around $20 each.:tipup:

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Partial to the low boys myself. Love watching the tip top spin as a fish moves off. I have both polars and Frabils and they both work great. Ct. O is one of the premiere shops in the state. They can get you all set up and ready to go in no time. They can also steer you to a DEEP CARE class in your area. A great way to get introduced to the sport. It's hands on out on local lakes with people who want you to catch fish.
With no power augers you may want a Nils. It can be upgraded to a power auger with just a nut and bolt.
Good luck and have fun.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 05:12 PM »
i also say go to see blaine and gary at ct outfitters they will set up up rite and they will tell you anything else you will need to know. most helpful place i go to , and i go there most of the time because of the service.

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Welcome to the ice season! If you're looking for a good quality tip up that will last long but has a high price id go with Heritage Lakers. They're wooden, strong, and my dad has had them since he started. But they do cost a good amount (20-30$). But I've seen people with frabill artic fire tip ups or other variations and they seem to work just fine. Hope this helped!
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline fishguttts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Heritage Lakers and use 80 pnd daicron and crimp your own leader with tyger and three # 2 gamacatsu bait holder hooks and askblaine about his golden pond dhiner he has for sale at the shop best bait around and he has suckers to blaine will be able to hook you up all the way . i hope this helps you in the long run have fun and be safe
 :) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:36 AM »
I will say the same as others. Take a ride to ct outfitters. It's a great shop with unparrelled advice. You will not get that at  chain stores. Both Blaine and Mike P. Have always been helpful. Good luck.
Gadabout

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:53 PM »
from the anglers guide:

ICE FISHIN G Not more than six tip-ups, floats (bobbers), similar devices,
or hand-held jigs or any combination thereof not exceeding six in the
aggregate may be used at one time. Persons under sixteen years of age
may use not more than two devices. Not more than three baited hooks,
with or without attractors, or three ice flies, or three artificial lures, or
any combination thereof not exceeding three in the aggregate may be
used with each tip-up, float (bobber), or similar device or hand-held
jig. Devices must be personally attended. The name and address of the
user must be legibly stamped on or attached to all devices.

Offline fishguttts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:44 AM »
It changed 6 traps per persons and for 16 and younger  6 traps per person you must have looked in the old regulations because i kno its differant for 2012
 :)

Offline Matt_Atkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:39 PM »
hookembob
about the auger, I recommend a nils. Do not get a strikemaster Mora, it will make you not want to icefish. Again CTO has the nils. Nils are handsdown the best auger but a Strikemaster Lazer is easier to get blades or sharpen.

For tipup I prefer a polar setup

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Hey fishguttts I thought it was 6 lines per licensed person and two for people under 16. Can you send the link where you see this 6 line for people under 16.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:12 PM »
Wording of the new regulation lifts the restriction of only two tipups or lines for anyone under 16. The new regulation is the same as for an adult/license holder - a total of six (6) tipups/lines may now be used.

Effective 10/4/11.

26-112-43. Definitions and restrictions:
(u) "Ice fishing" means fishing through the ice with tip-ups, bobbers or floats, similar devices or hand-held jigs. The following restrictions shall apply to ice fishing:

(1) An individual may use, at one time, tip-ups, bobbers or floats, similar devices or hand-held jigs in any combination thereof, not exceeding six in the aggregate.

(2) Each line shall be restricted to not more than three baited hooks, with or without attractors, or three ice flies or three artificial lures or any combination thereof, not exceeding three in the aggregate.

(3) All tip-ups, bobbers or floats or similar devices shall have the name and address of the person using the same legibly printed thereon or attached thereto.

(4) No tip-ups, bobbers or floats or similar devices shall be used unless they are personally attended.

OLD language that was eliminated: Persons under sixteen years of age may use two tip-ups, bobbers, floats, similar devices or hand held jigs in any combination thereof, not exceeding two in the aggregate.

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:33 AM »
law was changed this year 6 per person all ages but they should be able to watch their own tipups (that may be my own rule for my kids)

Offline bowshow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Must agree with previous posts.  Go to CTO and get some advice.  I would still be lost on the ice if it was not for the help at CTO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.