Author Topic: How cold have you tolerated ice fishing?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
How cold have you tolerated ice fishing?
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:42 AM »
Though I probably will never make it that far up north to fish I enjoy reading the posts about ice fishing in Alaska. The last couple of years have been temperature wise “wimpy”. However there were times a few years ago that going fishing was almost a survival of the fittest ordeal. Out of curiosity what were some of the worst conditions some of you faced temperature and snow wise?

I remember about ten years ago fishing off oak island on Lake of the Woods when we were faced with 40 mph winds and an actual temp of –30. I am sure some of you wouldn’t even bother with long johns at this point.

Anyway looking forward to hearing some horror stories. By the way, Happy New Year!

WS

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How cold have you tolerated ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:32 PM »
I fished at -54 for a few days outta the hardside. Wasnt too bad until you had to ride the snowmachine 13 miles back to the truck..

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:47 PM »
-40 for me in a portable.
There was almost 1/4" of ice buildup on the roof by the end of the day.

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:29 PM »
It was -33 yesterday. We were fishing in the portable. The bite was as cold as the temps. One hook up and then lost near the top :(
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:34 PM »
-20 F in the darkhouse is my limit. Portables maybe -10F if the trip was planned a long time. Otherwise I can wait to above zero. Worked outside on the North Slope for 17 years so my dance card is pretty well punched out for my cold temp quota.  :)
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:47 PM »
-45 is the coldest I've ever fished without any shelter. This was on the NW Arm of Pipestone Lake in Ontario. The only saving grace was that there was no wind at all and the sun was shining brighly. One of my buddy's got a hook buried in his thumb! We had him stick his thumb in the water for 5 minute's, after which he could not feel a thing! Exit said hook! :woot:DIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline AKrookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:42 PM »
-45 is the coldest I've ever fished without any shelter. This was on the NW Arm of Pipestone Lake in Ontario. The only saving grace was that there was no wind at all and the sun was shining brighly. One of my buddy's got a hook buried in his thumb! We had him stick his thumb in the water for 5 minute's, after which he could not feel a thing! Exit said hook! :woot:DIRTBALL2 ;)
That is some MacGyver medicine!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:07 PM »
-40 for me but that was with a hardside.
Without a shack it was probably around -30 or so. That was after spending my 2 weeks on the slope spent mostly outside at -30 to -45 . I had rented a forest service cabin in the mountains for a few days and when I left it was -15 in the parking lot and it felt down right balmy.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline macmmj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:11 PM »
My cutoff is -20, but if I have the kids with me I try to keep above 0. They have been out in -10 in a portable, wasn't bad until time to head back to the truck. Gloves and boot choices for ages between 3 and 9 aren't the best. They still ask to go fishing every other day of the winter, the remaining days they ask to go hunting.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:14 PM »
[quote They still ask to go fishing every other day of the winter, the remaining days they ask to go hunting.
[/quote]
And this is a problem why?

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:01 AM »
Too cold!  Wet fingers stuck to my zippers tearing the skin off the tips.  Nipped my toes on that day too.  We need a chinook wind FAST!!!!!  -29 as I type... >:( >:( >:(
TEAM ALASKA

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:23 PM »
My son-in-law and I took out 4 pre-teen boys for ice fishing on Island Lake yesterday. It was -23 on the lake. Three of us fished in a QuickFish 3 with a heater, while the other 3 boys stood around a big fire on the ice. Unfortunately, no fish were caught in the usually productive area and with the usual offerings, even after 1.5 hours of fishing. No complaining from the boys.
See you up the trail.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Camping and fishing in really cold weather can be allot of fun if you are prepared for it.  Knowing your limits is also important.  I found that when I'm out for extended periods of time in sub 20 below weather it pays to have two of everything.  If something important like a heater breaks on the ride in you need to have a second one to back it up or the whole trip could be ruined.  Some people call me crazy for spending close to a week at a time in a soft side.  Its not crazy if you know what you are doing in fact its quite fun.  I also know how to set up my shack for an extended stay.  Trust me the setup is the difference between a comfortable trip and a wet miserable one.  When it comes to standing out in the cold to fish I try not to when it gets down past -35.  I catch and release pretty much every fish I catch and at that temp it becomes very difficult to remove a fish for a pic when your by yourself.  At those temps it only takes seconds for a fish's fins and eyes to freeze and if they touch the ice there slime will be frozen off literally.  Now when it comes to fishing in a softside I don't think I really have a cold limit as long as its setup right.  I haven't been out when it was down past 50 below yet but I am confident that with my setup it is manageable.  I guess there is only one way to find out.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:14 AM »
any problems with condensate?
Bob

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:29 PM »
any problems with condensate?

haha one of the pics akhardwater sent me of his latest was pretty funny......REMEMBER KIDS DO NOT EAT THE ICE OFF THE SIDE OF THE SHANTY! we were fishin a few weeks back in about -15 weather and where the heater was not blowing there was 1/8" thick sheets of ice in some places....pretty near really....trick: place a tarp over your softside to create dead air space, and comdensation is pretty well controlled.....i seen it work~

coldest ive ever fished/ camped out in was between -40 and -50....no one really knows how cold it was that night but Kirk Wilson told us it dipped into the mid -40s...... with two buddy heaters in a QF6, one of which barely worked, it was not very pleasant, and the fishing sucked to make matters worse....we were very unprepared though....like akhardwater says, it all about being prepared for the wweather and having the right setup...hes got it down to a T. he even built a floor for his QF6....a guy could live in that pretty comfortably for along time if he had too.......
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline AKwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:05 PM »
My father and I spent a day on Lake Winnipeg fishing for monster walleyes in -35 ambient temp with a steady 20 mph wind last January...by the last day of fishing it was +38 and raining.  ::)
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."  ~Winston Churchill~

Offline floyd1616

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:52 PM »
-30 with wind chill here in indiana

Offline JigginH2Oat40BLO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:04 AM »
So far this season -28 F with no shelter.... spent a bit of time out,  but iced quite a few stockers (most let go). All in all a good venture; then the winds started up and time to be conservative and careful.  :tipup:

My coldest is in that -40 to -45 range.  Not much fun with no shelter... more or less going through the motions and a couple frozen fish within seconds.

The Polar kind of cold with winds and low light is by far the more difficult scenario vs. just cold.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I dont really pay too much attention to the temp I go by....
down right nice, balmy, its just butt cold  ;D  I fish them all and it depends if I'm getting a bite how long I stay out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.