Author Topic: HANDHELD SONAR?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
HANDHELD SONAR?
« on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:33 PM »
I must have drilled 30 holes today, trying to find that hole off of the flat on Bass lake today, alot of wasted time.  I was gonna go pick up a Marcum LX-i tomorrow, I'd really rather save my money for a flasher.  I opted for a Lakemaster card for my iFinder H2O.  It was $40 less than the handheld sonar and now I'll know the depth, contour and general structure before I drill.  If I get a good tax return this year, i'll pick up the new Marcum Showdown before last ice.  Any pros and cons with the showdown out there?
Mike
Frozen Snot....It's a fashion statement!

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HANDHELD SONAR?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Sounds like you need to get the Showdown Ice Troller. Ive been askin some questions about it on here and I think Im gonna pick one up.... Good luck!!!!!

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:18 AM »
From everything I've heard/read, the Showdown has pretty much been a flop.  I'd get a MarCum LX-5 if the money is there.  If not, the lower models or even a Vexilar FL-8 would be a better flasher for you.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Get a vex it will last you forever....the showdown will be in the garbage within a couple years!

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Ya gotta love the, I heard, they said, comments from the people who don't even own the unit ! I have run a vex and a marcum and I can tell you from personal experience, the Troller is a lot easier to use, less money to own and will last as long as anything out there !

Proof in the photos, Right ? ;)2 The Troller works and it works well !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Ya gotta love the, I heard, they said, comments from the people who don't even own the unit ! I have run a vex and a marcum and I can tell you from personal experience, the Troller is a lot easier to use, less money to own and will last as long as anything out there !
(Image removed from quote.)
Proof in the photos, Right ? ;)2 The Troller works and it works well !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Very impresssive amount of burbs/lawyer/pouts in the daylight for certain. 
Chris Raymond

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Tried them all, and in my opinion you cant beat a vexlar.  They work awesome and take a licking and keep on ticking. My old fl8 from many years ago has been through 3 owners and still works perfect and I now own a fl18slt.  I am not knocking the showdown but you cant go wrong with the most popular flasher unit on the market.
Fish on !

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I've had a chance to fish with just about every unit out there (Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird, Lowrance etc.) and the bottom line is that they all catch fish. Personally I think that marcum has the best technology on the market but thats just my opinion. The showdown is a great unit but I prefer a 3-color flasher. The vertical display is nice but it is much easier to see detail in color rather than a gray scale. I would opt out for a vexilar Fl-8 or Marcum VX-1 if it were me. Regardless of what you choose you'll be catching fish, good luck and let us know what you decide :tipup:

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:08 PM »
oh and nice fish surflizard!

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:49 PM »
This is my third year with my vx1 and have been very happy.  Im sure any unit you get you will be happy with as it is way better than fishing blind.

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:07 AM »
I'm sure i will be Woody, Thanks.  Tell Josh he can watch football highlights later, I'm challenging him to a fish off on Big Shag!  On my way there in a few minutes!
Mike

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Surflizard.....I think its the other way around. If you have ran them all...maybe you would have a clue. You keep telling yourself that pile of junk showdown is gonna last forever....u better treat it like a baby! A vex can take a beating for many years....ill take the word from millions of vex owners over the couple guys that think just because they own a showdown there the best. You just keep telling yourself that!

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:28 PM »
LMAO......  ;D

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Guys at Gander Mnt. In Mqt told me the showdowns are the best there is! I'll never buy anything else because them guys know there stuff!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:25 PM »
I've had a chance to fish with just about every unit out there (Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird, Lowrance etc.) and the bottom line is that they all catch fish. Personally I think that marcum has the best technology on the market but thats just my opinion. The showdown is a great unit but I prefer a 3-color flasher. The vertical display is nice but it is much easier to see detail in color rather than a gray scale. I would opt out for a vexilar Fl-8 or Marcum VX-1 if it were me. Regardless of what you choose you'll be catching fish, good luck and let us know what you decide :tipup:

X2...what he said!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:06 AM »
"I've had a chance to fish with just about every unit out there (Marcum, Vexilar, Humminbird, Lowrance etc.) and the bottom line is that they all catch fish. Personally I think that marcum has the best technology on the market but thats just my opinion. The showdown is a great unit but I prefer a 3-color flasher. The vertical display is nice but it is much easier to see detail in color rather than a gray scale. I would opt out for a vexilar Fl-8 or Marcum VX-1 if it were me. Regardless of what you choose you'll be catching fish, good luck and let us know what you decide "

I agree 100%
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:46 PM »
another vote for the Marcum vx1... The pot is stirred now!  :tipup:

Offline MOPARDOCTOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Addicted to the ice
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Well...I'm done with my popcorn now....I put money down on a Vexilar Fl-8se Genz pack today and will pick it up on payday...Thanks for all the input, I know i'll be happier with a flasher.  Even the guy at gander said the flashers last for many years and he's been seeing the showdowns quit after only a half a season and rarely last past two seasons, seems the lcd can't handle the extreme conditions.  Again, thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.
Mike.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:34 AM »
Good idea...that should be fine for what you're doing.  Don't let the pics fool you.  I've caught 25+ >12" perch through the ice in 50' of water in a single morning with no electronics at all (fishing blind).  So the pics aren't proof at all.  Showdowns are not what some people give them credit for.

You'll be so much better off with a Vex than you would be fishing blind though.  You'll be able to figure out what type of mood the fish are in within a short time on the ice.  Plus, I always hated feeling like I was ripping jigs from fish that were nosing the bait/jig and I never knew they were there.  I hate even thinking about it anymore.  Now, I know every time a fish is nearby when I have my flasher and I can slow down to see what the attitude of the fish is.  Learn to slowly raise your rod just a touch when a fish is interested in your offering and you'll hit more fish than ever before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.