The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Homemade Portable Darkhouse  (Read 7261 times)

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
Homemade Portable Darkhouse
« on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I usually spear out or a popup, but because ice has come so freakin' slowly this year and I'm stir crazy, I made this. It's heavy, kind of a pain to set up, and smells like treated canvas, but it's homemade, MINE, and it doesn't hurt to have 2 shacks :).

This is basically a prototype. I figure I can cut a bunch of weight off if I fab a floor out of aluminum square tubing and thin sheeting. I would coat everything with undercoating for grip.

The 3/4 marine plywood is HEAVY!

I had the cover made out of waterproof canvas I purchased from mytarp.com (a friend did the sewing).

A buddy and I formed the curved poles out of 1/2" EMT couduit. I then seated them in adjustable tent pole bases from an local military surplus store.

An extendable aluminum boatpole works as the centerpiece to keep the teepee in place (I wanted a teepee shape to be unique, and withstand wind better than a cube).

The piano hinges allow me to fold the shanty up and put in in my Jetsled or on the front of my quad.

Just a 2 man shack.

Can't wait to get the floor bloody! ;D

(The towel is the spearing hole)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Homemade Portable Darkhouse
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I like the fact that you went with canvas and not the thin stuff, I too made a portable this year and I will get photos soon. The canvas is much more heavy but it lets in Zero light and is very strong for windy days.

nice job  :thumbsup:

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Do you know what the weight of just the canvas is?  How much of it did you use?  Thought about going in that direction.
  BE THERE!

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I used this:

http://www.mytarp.com/canvas-tarp-12-oz-60x1-roll.aspx

You can see a little light through it, but it's still darker than anything I've ever used besides impermeable, non-breathable vinyl.

I used 11 yards.  That was enough for the zipper flaps, doubled up snow skirt around the bottom, extra material inside to attach it to the floor, and 2 pockets inside that are 24" wide and 12" deep.

Probally have about 15 to 20 lbs on fabric material alone on this build.  Like I said, it is not light.  As I said in the original post though, I will be able to cut at least 20 lbs off the total weight when I re-design the floor after this winter.

Offline WhiteTailHunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I cut an hinged my flood in my shappell 3000s its nice but on windy days its no good that canves would work alot better
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Army National Guard HOOAH!!! 88M

Offline UPPower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Jcrean,  I know this is a little old but I was just thinking about buying a hub but would this work better.  Just too many days my hard side can't be moved.  Is this link to the exact canvas you used?  What color?  You would be able to share plans for that shack?  Sorry for all the questions just looks good.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Nice looking Pike Dungeon!!!!!!!
I'm using a Shappell 5500 this year.

gd :clap: :thumbsup:
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline JCrean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Jcrean,  I know this is a little old but I was just thinking about buying a hub but would this work better.  Just too many days my hard side can't be moved.  Is this link to the exact canvas you used?  What color?  You would be able to share plans for that shack?  Sorry for all the questions just looks good.

Sorry for the delayed response UP, but personally I'd stick to the hubs.  By far the lightest, most cost effective, convenient shacks out there.  I think a completely dark house is overrated.  When a pike is really dialed in on the decoy, one can set off firecrackers and not alter their course!

Also, I've set my hubs up and fished in winds up to 40 MPH.  Buy a cheap drill and 1/4" bit to sink anchors quickly and you're in the chips.  I rarely use my heavy canvas portable anymore.  Guess I just made it because I have a never-ending desire to re-invent the wheel.  99% of the time, I fail :).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.