New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: looking for some help. otsego county area  (Read 1034 times)

Offline bdjn

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for some help. otsego county area
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:22 PM »
im home from college for break and would typically spend all my days on south bay but the weather is not helping.

im debating bringing all my gear back to school with me and getting after the ice in otsego county, however i dont really know to much about the fishing out there.

any tips on places to go? i mainly focus on pike perch and  bass but have gone after trout and well take anything i can get.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: looking for some help. otsego county area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:38 PM »
the way this weather has been otsego lake may not freeze this year. canadrago lake is another good one but a little bit farther away.

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:46 PM »
I'm guessing you are a student at SUNY Oneonta or Hartwick? Goodyear Lake has some good fishing for perch and walleye (you will catch the occasional out of season bass) and is about 10 minutes away. There are a couple other spots nearby that are smaller and I won't post here. Canadarago is about 40 minutes from Oneonta and has good perch and walleye fishing, but it can be a madhouse in the winter. Like o2rmk800 said, Otsego has some pretty good fishing, but that freezes last. Goodyear is going to take awhile this year, because it is a damned section of the Susquehanna and we have gotten a ton of rain. I would totally bring my gear if I were you  ;) You can hit me up with a pm if you want. I can tell you more about the access points.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:17 PM »
BIGJim223 is a member on here from Cooperstown that is very active in that area.  I would shoot him a PM too.

Offline bdjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:42 PM »
i cant seem to figure out how to private message, never posted before always just read.

id love to hear some smaller spots if your willing to give them up if you wanna pm me. also the location of a good bait shop.

thanks

Offline krayfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:46 PM »
i cant seem to figure out how to private message, never posted before always just read.

id love to hear some smaller spots if your willing to give them up if you wanna pm me. also the location of a good bait shop.

thanks

When you reach 5 post you will be able to pm.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:47 PM »

thanks

You will need to make 5 Post (3 more) and you can PM plus get into the Reports/Conditions threads which have many Lakes on there. When you have the 5 Posts you just click on the person you want to PM and there is a spot to click on to PM him from there. Good luck.

Offline bdjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:54 PM »
oh that makes since. thanks for your help

Offline bdjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:56 PM »
just posting to reach my quota

Offline bdjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:57 PM »
got it. sorry

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Sent you a pm. Sportsman Adventures in the Hannaford Plaza on Southside has bait. He usually has everything you need in stock. That's really the only place within 40 minutes from Oneonta as far as I know.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:30 PM »
If you are in Oneonta, Goodyear is your best bet (when it freezes). Bait and tackle at Sportsman Adventure as stated above ^^^^^. Seems to me there is a couple of ponds/small lakes in one of Oneonta's parks, NeWah Park maybe, I think people panfish them. Arnold Lake outside Milford has trout and allows icefishing, haven't heard if it is frozen yet, but it usually freezes early. Terrible access there, IMO, and I never really caught much there personally. Also outside Milford is Crumhorn Mt. Lake, at the Boy Scout Camp. Ice fishing permitted, but no tip ups.
  If it ever freezes, Canadarago Lake in Richfield Springs (about 35 miles) and of course Otsego, both are good, but would not hold my breath waiting for Otsego to freeze, gonna be awhile.
Good Luck!

BIGJim223

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Hodges Pond in Neahwa Park is only open to fishing one day a year for a youth derby. However, there is an oxbow/offshoot of the Susquehanna River that eventually becomes the Mill Race Creek and it borders Neahwa Park and some other parkland in the city. I am wondering if that is fishable. I bet there are perch and walleye in there. I know there is bass ;). Never seen anyone fish there though. Access at Arnold is problematic. The only public access is right where a stream flows out if it and that section doesn't freeze up very well.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:33 PM »
hello Dude
   this is mister  perch himself    are you talking about my lake   can...... LOL
  anyone have spikes yet ???
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline au·ger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICEHEAD
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I move to Morris a year ago, I'm familiar with Chenango waters and now some of Otsegos. Always looking to fish with people and battle new waters. I just run n gun jig fish and work in Norwich so bait is easy to pick up.

Au-ger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.