Author Topic: Help me understand please???  (Read 5519 times)

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help me understand please???
« Reply #60 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:44 PM »
I lke my Flasher The old LCD unit I was using kept giving me issues. the fish that it marked always and I mean always would be moving right to left on the screen. I thought to myself this cant be right so I went with a flasher

.....did you try sitting on the other side of the hole.....
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Humminbird has RTS (real time sonar):

http://www.humminbird.com/leadingInnovationHelperPage.aspx?id=2657&fid=244

The 1970's took their toll on me, there's no way I could watch those flasher whirling flashing lights for more than 10 minutes without peeing my pants and forgetting who I am for a couple of hours. :o

now im peeing my pants  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: thats funny stuff. screw it im buying a 10" auger and just sticking my head down the hole
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Holly crap guys!!!! I didn't think my question was smacking such a beehive!!!!!! I do understand what some are saying about the flasher being faster......in the cold. My old Bottomline, if left out in the cold would slow down in the refresh rate. I guess that didn't matter very much since I'm always sitting in my nice warm shanty, so cold wasn't an issue! Although the graph doesn't necessarily change colors, I often adjust the sensitivity until I can just make out my jig.....or can see it if I twitch it a bit....and then when anything comes along......like a perch....I can see it rise up from the bottom to the level of my jig......and I can usually expect that tap tap tap and whamo......another pig for the bucket! Thanks for all the responses and inputs, they really helped me get the perspective I was looking for.

ed

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:41 AM »
man they grow fat perch in idaho. ive been reading the posts on that place just wish it wasnt so far from me
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Holly crap guys!!!! I didn't think my question was smacking such a beehive!!!!!! I do understand what some are saying about the flasher being faster......in the cold. My old Bottomline, if left out in the cold would slow down in the refresh rate. I guess that didn't matter very much since I'm always sitting in my nice warm shanty, so cold wasn't an issue! Although the graph doesn't necessarily change colors, I often adjust the sensitivity until I can just make out my jig.....or can see it if I twitch it a bit....and then when anything comes along......like a perch....I can see it rise up from the bottom to the level of my jig......and I can usually expect that tap tap tap and whamo......another pig for the bucket! Thanks for all the responses and inputs, they really helped me get the perspective I was looking for.

ed

Ah, the guys were just having fun.  Anyway, anytime a question regarding fish finders comes up the scales usually start flying.  I have a theory on how to find the best unit to buy.  Wait until the ice season is well under way, then see which machine is sold out, and that's the one you want.
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:50 AM »
Good point perchmasterson: what did we ever do before electronics.  I think its funny when I see people show up on the ice and have forgotten the techs at home.  To see them panic, pace and sweat because they dont know what to do is down right funny.  Yes, this has been me before.  Nice perch too.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #66 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:08 AM »
there is always this alternative

no electronics or shanties were used in the catching of this fish

did that for years...not as much fun as this

when I took this pic, it was snowing heavily, about 10 degrees outside, and blowing about 20mph, but oh so nice and comfy in my shanty with my vex and my heater...

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #67 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:31 AM »
Silvah,  could we meet sometime about half way between Michigan and Saskatchewan so I could shake your hand.
Sure, might as well drop a line while we're at it too :)  lol

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #68 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:13 AM »
The flasher has just been working for me for well over a decade to put me on active fish so I'll just be sticking with it. But regardless of what the electronics do for me, I still need to remember how to get the fish to take my presentation so they will stay in my crib.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I like to fish in the "PRESENT" not the "PAST" you know real time=flashers  past=lcd
Have you tried the Lowrance LCD's at all?  I have been using them for the past 25 years and there is no delay in any of them.  At least I can't see a delay.  When you raise your jig in 40 fow the display shows your jig raising right along with it.  I can't speak for the hummingbirds, eagles, vexilars, garmins, or any other LCD's, but I do know that the Lowrance's that I have owned have no delay. 
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline silvah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the fish killer
« Reply #70 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Have you tried the Lowrance LCD's at all?  I have been using them for the past 25 years and there is no delay in any of them.  At least I can't see a delay.  When you raise your jig in 40 fow the display shows your jig raising right along with it.  I can't speak for the hummingbirds, eagles, vexilars, garmins, or any other LCD's, but I do know that the Lowrance's that I have owned have no delay. 
Humminbirds do not have a delay either.  Fish rises to the hook, the rod bends, fish on.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #71 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:50 AM »
lcd gives you in a delayed time and a flasher gives it to you in real time..
such as you move your jig up and down with a flasher you can see it move as with a lcd its slower but they both do the same thing one just better in cold weather......

If you're talking delayed time you are referring to the history scrolling across the screen. If you watch the extreme right margin you can watch your jig and approaching fish in real time. I may be a minority here, but I actually prefer my Lowrance x67 (LCD) to my Vex f-18. I think the Vex will outlive the Lowrance, however.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:10 AM »
That was fun.....Happy New Year - my brothers.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:11 AM »
The unit you have is the unit you use .. therefore the best unit is yours . huh???  Yes little guppy the secrets of the ice are mystical. Listen to the older iceblock sitters.. we will tell you of a time when a spring bobber was considered high tech and spuds made holes in the ice.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:14 AM »
What is the advantage of a lcd? If you are running a lcd graph in flasher mode why not just get a flasher? The only reason I can think of is that there are a lot of the lcd units priced a lot cheaper than the good flashers, or you want dual use out of it boat and ice. In a boat I would rather have a lcd graph.
And yes I still have my old 1 Lb weight on a cord with a knot tied every 5 feet, and we didn't even have spring boobers we use tiny cork boobers, now that is old school, but it doesn't seem that many years ago. Someone mentioned they been using a LCD for 25 years, damn I'm getting old it seem like yesterday LCD's just came out. lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:16 AM »
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #76 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Sooo...your views on the LX-7?  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:45 AM »
who cares about seeing the history? i was there i know what happened.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #78 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:47 AM »
What is the advantage of a lcd? If you are running a lcd graph in flasher mode why not just get a flasher? The only reason I can think of is that there are a lot of the lcd units priced a lot cheaper than the good flashers, or you want dual use out of it boat and ice. In a boat I would rather have a lcd graph.
And yes I still have my old 1 Lb weight on a cord with a knot tied every 5 feet, and we didn't even have spring boobers we use tiny cork boobers, now that is old school, but it doesn't seem that many years ago. Someone mentioned they been using a LCD for 25 years, damn I'm getting old it seem like yesterday LCD's just came out. lol
Soooooo, what's yer opinion of the new flagship of the fleet LX7?  ???

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #79 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I have only seen pictures of the LX-7 online, never seen one live, and have no friends who have it yet. I generally wait a few years before I buy anything new there will be bugs to work out plus the price usually comes down quite a bit. I bought a vcr when they first came out paid $800 for it. I bought a gps accu-navII when they first came out paid $800 again, after a few years you could buy them for $300. I'm not even considering a Showdown yet still too new on the market, but I do have a friend who bought one last year. I will see how he likes it after another year under the belt with it. My LX-5 is only 2 years old, my last Vex. FL8 I had for 20 years, so I doubt I will be dumping the LX-5 any time soon. But my daughter needs a new locator or she confiscate's mine every time she comes out with me and I am left watching a spring bobber.

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Sooo...your views on the LX-7?  ::)

Don't start yet, I gotta mix a drink and get the popcorn    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

in a mood Reb ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #81 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:15 PM »
I have only seen pictures of the LX-7 online, never seen one live, and have no friends who have it yet. I generally wait a few years before I buy anything new there will be bugs to work out plus the price usually comes down quite a bit. I bought a vcr when they first came out paid $800 for it. I bought a gps accu-navII when they first came out paid $800 again, after a few years you could buy them for $300. I'm not even considering a Showdown yet still too new on the market, but I do have a friend who bought one last year. I will see how he likes it after another year under the belt with it. My LX-5 is only 2 years old, my last Vex. FL8 I had for 20 years, so I doubt I will be dumping the LX-5 any time soon. But my daughter needs a new locator or she confiscate's mine every time she comes out with me and I am left watching a spring bobber.
The reason I asked is because I noticed you don't care for LCD units with screen heaters and the LX7 and Showdown both have this feature and you seem to be a Marcum guy. I guess my feelings are whatever works for someone  is good. I can also remember the days of chopping a hole with an axe and finding the depth with a nut. Now that I think of it we didn't fish many holes or move much back then either.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #82 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:21 PM »
Don't start yet, I gotta mix a drink and get the popcorn    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

in a mood Reb ?

You betcha, buddy!!!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:27 PM »
If you're talking delayed time you are referring to the history scrolling across the screen. If you watch the extreme right margin you can watch your jig and approaching fish in real time. I may be a minority here, but I actually prefer my Lowrance x67 (LCD) to my Vex f-18. I think the Vex will outlive the Lowrance, however.
Now that is what I am talking about........X2
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #84 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 PM »
I can also remember the days of chopping a hole with an axe and finding the depth with a nut. Now that I think of it we didn't fish many holes or move much back then either.

I hear you there, I bought a power auger (jiffy mod 30) about the same time I bought the FL8 about 20 some years ago, (still using the mod 30) before that when you drilled 3 holes through 3 foot of ice by hand, by god that's where you fished.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #85 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I hear you there, I bought a power auger (jiffy mod 30) about the same time I bought the FL8 about 20 some years ago, (still using the mod 30) before that when you drilled 3 holes through 3 foot of ice by hand, by god that's where you fished.
Bought my first power auger in 1980 after using an 8" Mora in 36" of ice for one season. I got tired of being on my knees when it went through the ice and didn't move much that winter either.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #86 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Bought my first power auger in 1980 after using an 8" Mora in 36" of ice for one season. I got tired of being on my knees when it went through the ice and didn't move much that winter either.

Same thing I had a 8" Mora. And when the blades got dull you needed one person to lean on the top to put weight on it while the other guy cranked. Those were the days of sore elbows and shoulders.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:13 PM »
Same thing I had a 8" Mora. And when the blades got dull you needed one person to lean on the top to put weight on it while the other guy cranked. Those were the days of sore elbows and shoulders.

My shoulders and elbows are aching just reading/remembering those 'good old' days.  ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #88 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:23 PM »
My shoulders and elbows are aching just reading/remembering those 'good old' days.  ;D
Maybe they weren't so good eh? :o ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Maybe they weren't so good eh? :o ;D

No, they were good! We just didn't know any different. Would any of us trade the comfort and ease of ice fishing today to go back to what the sport was in the 70s? And yes that is a rhetorical question, eh.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.