Author Topic: Cresant Lake Refuge  (Read 4267 times)

Offline eagle66

• IceShanty Rookie
Cresant Lake Refuge
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Fished Cresant today for about 2 hrs., no bite, ice is 7 inches with 6 inches clear.  Went to Blue Lake later, caught 3 perch and 1 Crapppie. All were nice size fish. ice was 7 inches with 6 inches clear

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cresant Lake Refuge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Is blue lake the big lake to the west on the way to island?  I heard they opened it up this year

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:00 PM »
That's Crescent.  Blue is the one way west over a 2.7 mile trail (that requires 4X4, I think). 

Good fishing,

Keith

Offline eagle66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Keith is right, they put a sign up next to the trail just off of the oil road.  4x4 is reccommended you have to open and shut all gates. its worth the drive.

Offline kazz22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:58 PM »
 4x4 only is what the sign says

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but cell phone service is zero in most areas out there.  There are spots with service, but not many.  If you get in trouble, you might have to walk out of there.  This is not to scare you, just to suggest you be careful and prepared.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline flatwalter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:13 PM »
"Blue Lake (Garden) - 311 acres, 22N of Oshkosh. BLG, CRP, SMB, YEP. Access via a primitive 2.7-mile sandy access trail on private property (no snow removal), open
daylight hours only, no camping, no hunting, no ATVs or horses, no fires, no littering, only four-wheel drive vehicles allowed (MANDATORY). Area is closed to access
during the nine-day regular firearm deer season. Access to the lake was made possible through a lease agreement with the private landowner, so please follow the rules. Close
all gates. Trespassers off marked trail and parking lot will be prosecuted. Small boats recommended, primitive boat launch, 5 mph (no wake)."

directly from NGP

Offline eagle66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Blue Lake Today with 3 of us fishing

Offline rippin-lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Damn, nice perch!!!
Scott Tincher
Clam Pro Staff. ~Power Stick~

Offline DannyBoy09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:58 AM »

Think just a little bit eagle.. With a post like that the next time you go up there.. There will be 500 pickups in the parking lot.. >:( >:(

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:59 AM »
From what I've heard its too late for that
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:34 AM »
If you get Nebraskaland or have a friend in Western Nebraska you are at least aware of those fish.  At least its a far drive from Lincoln and Omaha.
Where's the ice

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Thats just what I heard from some ppl on boxbutte yesterday...if I swing by blue lake tomorrow at sunlight does anyone think I could get a handfuls of nice perch like those above? To make my trip worthwhile lol...any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I think you would be stupid not to try.  You are already out west anyway.  If it was me, I would give it a shot.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I thought so....I don't have a 4x4 with me...ill walk the 2 1/2 miles if I can catch nice perch unless that's against the rules?

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:14 PM »
Pretty sure you wont have to worry about having 4 wheel drive.  Unless there is blizzard tonight.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Oh someone said its was mandatory like you had to but its a public lake so I couldn't figure that out...

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Any tips? I don't even know where it is but my phone will lead me there I hope lol..any advice would be awesome and greatly appreciated!!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Fish island first thing in the morning for about an hour. right when I got there I caught a ton of little perch and one ok then nothing so I drove back to blue lake for a little bit caught one nice perch and some dinks....another guy hadn't had a bite all morning and ice was SKETCHY!! lots of open spots and the open areas were growing quick with the wind and sunny day....wouldn't rec comend going anytime soon with the ice opening up and unfavorable forecasts ....be smart and safe!!

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:02 PM »
It is a private lake that is leased by the state.  Please follow the rules ( like mandatory 4WD ) and pick up your trash so everyone can continue to have access

Offline warrior1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Well said snipe

Offline Jmurphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Agreed in addition I feel that these traits should be followed on all public and private ponds so that one bad seed does not ruin a good thing for everyone else. Prime example diamond bar lake

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Pretty sure you wont have to worry about having 4 wheel drive.  Unless there is blizzard tonight.
4 wheel drive isn't for snow or mud!  Its required to prevent excessive erosion.  Running in 2 wheel and digging in the sand causes erosion thus a potential 'blow out'...ranchers hate that.  Also once erosion starts its hard to control.  So if you are traveling on any trail in the sandhills do us all a favor and just put it in 4 wheel.  I know of several sandhill lakes that got shut off to the general public because of stupidity of a few people tearing up trails....not because of over fishing or litter.  Use common sense...if you don't have any stay home.
]

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Just sayn....
I have actual farm/ranch experience not to mention have friends that's make a living in the sandhills.  I would tend to think they now something about their property.  Where I live has nothing to do with knowledge.  Im not arguing that lots of traffic takes it toll,  just sayn use your 4wheel drive!  If you don't have one....stay out...that guideline is clearly stated.  I don't give a rats patootie where you live and what you do or don't know, just be respectful to other peoples property!
]

Offline warrior1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Don't let the icer bother you  he is what you call a city kitty, common sense doesn't  always run thick with some........

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:45 PM »
All frustration can contributed to lack of ice.  I do apologize

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Just sayn....
I have actual farm/ranch experience not to mention have friends that's make a living in the sandhills.  I would tend to think they now something about their property.  Where I live has nothing to do with knowledge.  Im not arguing that lots of traffic takes it toll,  just sayn use your 4wheel drive!  If you don't have one....stay out...that guideline is clearly stated.  I don't give a rats  where you live and what you do or don't know, just be respectful to other peoples property!

x2
I live between Smith and Walgren, and while Its county gravel for me to Walgren, my route to Smith is usually over pasture trails. Most of the time 2wheel is fine but there are some steep spots where you just put it in 4. And I have seen major erosion(and I mean MAJOR). And the owners have tried fixing it, but usually all they can do is make a new trail around it. And since my uncles own about to halfway there I know how much work it is just to keep a trail drivable.

All frustration can contributed to lack of ice.  I do apologize

x2

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I live between Smith and Walgren, and while Its county gravel for me to Walgren, my route to Smith is usually over pasture trails. Most of the time 2wheel is fine but there are some steep spots where you just put it in 4.

About 10 years ago I think I was on your road trying to get from Box Butte to Smith. Might have saved 22 miles but cost us 2 hours. Got to Smith for the last hour of daylight and a blizzard but the gills were on fire so we stayed. Survey Valley Rd. seemed like it was 700 miles long on the trip home.

dc 

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:29 PM »
So let's just not follow the rules set up per the agreement between the rancher and gfp. Then not only will the lack of ice be your only trouble but a lack of lakes to fish because of people's inability to follow the rules and respect other people's property.....GG and we wonder why it's so hard to fish and hunt on private property...........

Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline Fishingnerd33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:36 PM »
The rules are there for a reason; please follow them.  If it says mandatory 4x4 then abide by it.  Private waters, especially ones like this are rare and if they get screwed up because people don't follow the rules we're going to lose out on a great fishery.  Do what you want, but if access gets removed it's not a huge mystery why if people aren't following the rules.

I don't want to appear harsh or judgmental at all, just hate to see people openly breaking rules when dealing with private fisheries. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.