Author Topic: Jack traps  (Read 16740 times)

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
Re: Jack traps
« Reply #60 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:43 PM »
wondered when you'ld chime in my friend!  lol
I had chimed in earlier but they pulled my post.  >:( >:( Think its gonna be a long winter!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Maine outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:20 PM »
I bought a set of "Jack Like" traps in 1981 similar in design to his 26" model which I still use, and I have had a set of 31" Jack traps since 1997.   I just brought the 31"traps in to Tim for a tune-up this fall.  He was amazed at the condition. I have fished them all over the state. No problems, great reliable and durable trap.  My brother and I have over 35 years experience ice fishing and we own 5 sets of these in our family.  No, I don't work for Jack Traps!!  I know some of you don't like Tim, but give credit where credit is due he makes a great trap. 

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I had chimed in earlier but they pulled my post.  >:( >:( Think its gonna be a long winter!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,jack CRAP traps,  ;D ;D ;D

so they dont trip when your smelt fishing, try the new jack jr's, they are sensitive enough to catch smelt ;D

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:49 PM »
The fishing success rate of a given trap isn't really directly related to brand. That has more to do with leader, hook, location and bait selection.

As far as what type of trap to to get, it's just personal preference. Jack traps are well built and rugged. I'm personally not fond of their small spool and how they are would "backwards" (which is really just what you're used to) I have 5 Heritage traps that I varnished when I bought them and try my best to take care of them, they're good but they're not perfect.

Heritage traps don't trip as easily and seamlessly as the Jacks do, but they have a nice big spool. Some people dislike the plastic spool, but as long as you don't chip your holes with it, they work fine. I actually prefer the plastic spool because my fingers and wet line don't instantly freeze to it.

Because of the easy tripping and smaller spool size, I would say that Jack's are better suited for brooktrout and Heritage traps are best on the big lakes for Togue. But I've caught many brookies on my Heritage traps and they really do work fine for smaller fish too. Modifications can be made to make them trip easier, but these modifications contribute to increased windflags, as well. 

As far as cost is concerned, if you believe in taking care of your equipment and plan on having them over several years, it's small investment. In the coming years, you'll spend more on bait and coffee than your traps. My recommendation is, buy GOOD QUALITY traps, either Heritage or Jacks and leave the cheesy ones alone, their lack of longevity will cost you more in the long run, not to mention dissatisfaction in the short run! Remember, they're cheaper than a boat!

I think the fact that Jack's come pre-varnished is one of the reasons so many people love them. Don't get me wrong, they are good quality, but I think a lot of their reputation stems from the fact that they sparkle.

These are my rules for ice fishing success.

1. Use good quality bait

2. Use light leaders and smaller, very sharp hooks

3. Buy good quality gear and take care of it!

4. Check traps every flagless 30 minutes

5. Fish where the fish are, not where it's convenient

6. Don't skimp on things. You've already spent the money to get there, The above mentioned bait, leaders, hooks and gear contribute the most to your success, skimping on them only makes you fall short. The same applies for cold weather clothing and LUNCH! Everyone has a budget, but It's important to keep the priorities strait.

their 4 inch spools are too small? i fish jacks and heritage, out of the box the jacks are better, the heritage are great as well but need some tweaking

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:43 AM »
That's a good point. There are other good quality traps too! Just not the old "Rite-Aid Specials"
hmmm seems Rite aid has done me well bought several Heritage Lakers with metal spools from there  at a 20 buck price tag!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Heritage traps bought at Rite Aid are not what I meant by "Rite Aid Specials"

My point is that good quality gear lasts longer and performs better than cheap stuff. Does the cheap stuff work? You bet. I happen to think nicer equipment is a better value in the long run.

I caught the biggest striper of my life on a Cheap Tiger spinning rod from Walmart and you know what? the reel was just about junk after the first season.

You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline Togueman8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:13 AM »
hmmm seems Rite aid has done me well bought several Heritage Lakers with metal spools from there  at a 20 buck price tag!

Does anyone know where you could get the metal spools?
U Maine Fort Kent Hardwater Team

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:15 AM »

Bottom of lakes and ponds  ;D  (sorry I couldn't resist)

You can find them here:  http://www.heritagetraps.com/m0101.html

Offline Togueman8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Bottom of lakes and ponds  ;D  (sorry I couldn't resist)

You can find them here:  http://www.heritagetraps.com/m0101.html
ha ha well thankfully that hasn't happened to me, I build my own traps, I like that spool just need to make 5 more for her.... thanks for the site
U Maine Fort Kent Hardwater Team

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 21, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Just tried my new Jacks for the first time today. I got the 20" trout trap that I am using for pan fish and trout, and they seem to be nice quality. I like how sensitive they are. I think they are going to do the trick.  :tipup:

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:09 PM »
     fishusa / Heritage metal spools / $6.45 ea.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I own one 26" inch standard Jack Trap and plan to get the same one they are great quality.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.