Author Topic: Jack traps  (Read 16744 times)

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
Re: Jack traps
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:29 PM »
. wipe the steel down with gun oil

Thats a great idea, wipe oil all over them and and throw in the pack basket, does your auger leak gas in your hole to.

And as far as holding big bait, all you have to do to stop them from going off so easy is slide the flag down a little before you set it. The more you slide it down, the stiffer the trigger, I thought every one knew that. @)
How they biten

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:32 PM »
but they make "Big Bait Holders" for the line if you fish for bigger fish a lot. :tipup:
Yeah , a roach clip  for what, 8-10 bucks extra. Cool.
How they biten

Offline antlerdawg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Yeah , a roach clip  for what, 8-10 bucks extra. Cool.

;D     :thumbsup:

Offline MadDad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Thats a great idea, wipe oil all over them and and throw in the pack basket, does your auger leak gas in your hole to.

wow, I didnt realize how wrong it was to wipe the steel down with a little oil on a rag. its not like dipping the whole trap into a 5 gallon bucket of hydrolic oil. and no my auger doesnt leak gas in the hole. hopefully someday I can be half as knowledgeable as you seem to be.
 ::)

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:51 PM »
He does know it all doesn't he?
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I can't afford to spend 50$ on one trap but they are built well and i do like how most of the stuff on them are from maine. I would much rather buy two Heritage traps for 60$

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:23 PM »
At least 3 or 4 times a year, I read on the ice shanty about how jack traps are great and / or jack traps suck.
A smiling kid who receives a set of jack traps for Christmas is all I need to settle this debate. Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:31 PM »
A brand new set of traps which ever the brand is a great gift! :thumbsup:

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:35 PM »
What kind of maintenance do you need to do to your jacks to keep them working?
Keep the lithium grease to them every year to the wheel and the sold call life time packed pole spring, which freezes up also..

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:52 PM »
A brand new set of traps which ever the brand is a great gift! :thumbsup:
Just so long as there not jack crap traps !!!!!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:57 PM »
At least 3 or 4 times a year, I read on the ice shanty about how jack traps are great and / or jack traps suck.
A smiling kid who receives a set of jack traps for Christmas is all I need to settle this debate. Happy New Year everyone!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

whats the trap with the red flag something you did it looks like a different model

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:01 PM »
That's the latest jack trap. New this year. It's made for catching brookies. It's small and their trigger to the flag is extra sensitive and easy to trip when brookies get finicky. Can't wait for my step-son to try it.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Re: Jack t
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:24 PM »

The good the bad the ugly
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:46 PM »
That's the latest jack trap. New this year. It's made for catching brookies. It's small and their trigger to the flag is extra sensitive and easy to trip when brookies get finicky. Can't wait for my step-son to try it.

Just curious as to how much length on the brookie trap when extended  from reel to cross arm does not look like much more than 10 in

Offline CCBIGFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:15 PM »
nice traps! had mine for sixs years now still work as good as the day i got them.... ;D ;

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:50 AM »
I've got a 3 year old Grandson,  I decided it would be nice to give him a a new Jack trap for Christmas every year until he has a full set.

I had brass dog name plates made with his name and address on them and another name plate that says  "To Evan, From Gramp,  Christmas 2011, Have Fun and Be Save",

I've got one Christmas shopping problem solved for the next 5 years!!     

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Just curious as to how much length on the brookie trap when extended  from reel to cross arm does not look like much more than 10 in

They're 20" Dick:  http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/products/20-jack-jr-trout-trap

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Just so long as there not jack crap traps !!!!!! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
wondered when you'ld chime in my friend!  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:46 AM »
The fishing success rate of a given trap isn't really directly related to brand. That has more to do with leader, hook, location and bait selection.

As far as what type of trap to to get, it's just personal preference. Jack traps are well built and rugged. I'm personally not fond of their small spool and how they are would "backwards" (which is really just what you're used to) I have 5 Heritage traps that I varnished when I bought them and try my best to take care of them, they're good but they're not perfect.

Heritage traps don't trip as easily and seamlessly as the Jacks do, but they have a nice big spool. Some people dislike the plastic spool, but as long as you don't chip your holes with it, they work fine. I actually prefer the plastic spool because my fingers and wet line don't instantly freeze to it.

Because of the easy tripping and smaller spool size, I would say that Jack's are better suited for brooktrout and Heritage traps are best on the big lakes for Togue. But I've caught many brookies on my Heritage traps and they really do work fine for smaller fish too. Modifications can be made to make them trip easier, but these modifications contribute to increased windflags, as well. 

As far as cost is concerned, if you believe in taking care of your equipment and plan on having them over several years, it's small investment. In the coming years, you'll spend more on bait and coffee than your traps. My recommendation is, buy GOOD QUALITY traps, either Heritage or Jacks and leave the cheesy ones alone, their lack of longevity will cost you more in the long run, not to mention dissatisfaction in the short run! Remember, they're cheaper than a boat!

I think the fact that Jack's come pre-varnished is one of the reasons so many people love them. Don't get me wrong, they are good quality, but I think a lot of their reputation stems from the fact that they sparkle.

These are my rules for ice fishing success.

1. Use good quality bait

2. Use light leaders and smaller, very sharp hooks

3. Buy good quality gear and take care of it!

4. Check traps every flagless 30 minutes

5. Fish where the fish are, not where it's convenient

6. Don't skimp on things. You've already spent the money to get there, The above mentioned bait, leaders, hooks and gear contribute the most to your success, skimping on them only makes you fall short. The same applies for cold weather clothing and LUNCH! Everyone has a budget, but It's important to keep the priorities strait.
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Still using my 30 year old Thompsons and Moosehead traps.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:36 AM »
That's a good point. There are other good quality traps too! Just not the old "Rite-Aid Specials"
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Well said FISHLESS!!!!!!!!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:53 AM »
If we dont have deep snow I like Polar traps. They trip about as easy as any and you can see if the fish is taking line without pulling the trap.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline SALMON SLAYER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:59 AM »
That's a good point. There are other good quality traps too! Just not the old "Rite-Aid Specials"
;D funny

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I've gone through a few set's of traps in my life..........Now all I need is my Jack's
Owner of 3 sets  not counting my son's 2 sets.

Got their laddle free too, when i bought 2 sets....and it's the best laddle i've ever owned too :tipup:

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:34 PM »

Damn, no wonder I can't catch a fish.

I've been using the same old cheap Laverderes specials for 28 years. :'(
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:46 PM »
i have had my jacks for 7 years now. no issues and no maintainance. i did take a look at re-greasing them but they didnt need it. other then swivles, leader and hooks they are always ready to roll. i love how folks hate on them and then go check their traps or pick up for the day to find bait missing. i make a point to watch them pick up or check their bait just so i can twist the knife about the baitless hooks. something that has NEVER happened w/ my jack traps w/out the flag going off. i also love it when they go to pick up and the traps have no reels on them....yet, jacks are a huge waste of money and are total junk...... @)

-Brandon

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:43 PM »
The caliber of the fisherman is not always directly proportional to the quality of the equipment.  Much of what fishless12 said is 100% spot on.  Those that don't check their stuff regularly get what they deserve.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline northernmaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Damn, no wonder I can't catch a fish.

I've been using the same old cheap Laverderes specials for 28 years. :'(
I've got some of those my Dad fished with along with some cheapy walmart traps, caught some REAL nice fish with those. :icefish:

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:50 PM »
They're 20" Dick:  http://www.jacktraps.com/store.php/products/20-jack-jr-trout-trap

I looked at the link and its marketed as a 20" blah blah blah but if only half of that is below the ice my guess was right on ... must be the surveyor in me. LOL I should have rephrased my question to how much of the trap is below the level of the top of the ice. They sound kinda nice if your fishing in 5fow or less wouldnt have alot of trap showing below the ice.. then on the other hand what happens when you have 2ft + of ice would the line catch on the edge of the hole ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.