Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 764 times)

Offline SoDakSlimers

• IceShanty Rookie
Need some help
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Ok, so I'm going to give this trout fishing a shot. One problem, I have very little knowledge on trout. Any sort of advice would be great, my biggest question is what kind of depth range (water depth, and fish depth) should I be looking for? I won't have a graph for at least another month so I'm going to be shooting in the breeze. I am seeing that wax worms are the way to go, is there anything else that is a hot item to have in the bag? Thanks for any help:tipup:

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I fished basicly blind for most of my youth and did fine without any electronics-so here's what I can tell ya: if you can get a map of the lake contours and do your homework you'll be way ahead of the game, if a map's unavailable look for fishy spots just like you would in the summer, over the channel that runs through the lake, off points, edge of weed beds,etc. drill a hole. I used to pull my jacket over my head and look in to see if I could see anything. Drop a weight on a line to the bottom and determine the depth- I've done very well in 24' down to 6' of water. put a lure a foot or so off the bottom and enjoy the day-Good luck,Brian
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Very sound advice, plus use some 1 to 2 inch pink or white Berkley Atomic tubes tipped with mealies or raw shrimp, a small brass or silver Kastmaster or Swedish Pimple to attract them to your hole and you should be in business.  Chatreuse, pink or white Ratso's and Genz worms are better later in the season when they get picky.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I find most trout at 12 FOW. I can fish in 30 FOW but most of the bites are around 12 Feet. I also have caught trout in as little as 4 FOW. I went to a lake one day and drilled a hole close to shore. Dropped my line down and it hit bottom right away. I went to get the auger and move out when I got hit. I ended up staying there and caught another 4 fish. Funny thing is,you sett the hook hard and the fish is already out of the water. Good luck out there. I have been doing real good with the Slender Spoons and Custom Jigs and SPins Ratso,Shrimpo and Nuclear Ants. Green,Chartreuse and Pink and white.
<===Lefty===

Offline SoDakSlimers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, I landed a 19" rainbow and lost two at the hole. It was a fun day, I could get used to this trout fishing.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Where did you get the 19" bow?

Congratulations on your maiden trout voyage!!

Offline SoDakSlimers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:42 PM »
11 mile, didn't get out there as early as I wanted but the bite turned on from 1:30-2:30

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Weird time for a bite at 11 Mile.  That's usually the dead zone.  Congratulations again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.