Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Cornelia ice conditions?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
Cornelia ice conditions?
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:21 PM »
How's the ice looking down on cornelia? On winter break and looking to try something different. Would be nice to get away from the huge crowd on clear lake too.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cornelia ice conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Ill bet the ice conditions are a lot better than the fish conditions.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I was there on the 10th. We drilled lots of holes and finally got in to some yellows around 8". It was a good time and the ice was 5" and clear.

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Well we made it down there from 12:30 to about 5:30 tonight. Solid 6" of ice everywhere we drilled. 112 6" yellows will become catfish food, also caught around a dozen small crappies, half dozen perch, 1 white bass, and 30ish gills. Brought home 10 gills from there. LOTS of small yellows, whoever put them in there is due for a public hanging for ruining the lake >:( Either way it was still a good time.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:37 PM »
   Six inch yellows weigh in a lot better than 6" crappies. And no one will give you crap about keeping them. Just make sure your knife is really sharp.
   We must have caught 50 5 and 6" yellows before we got on some better fish. I think we plan on going back on Friday. Some one really needs hung for over the yellows but they really were a blast. I never did use live bate all the yellows and perch were caught on a Swedish pimple with a green inlay.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Caught yellows on deer jerky before even.  Almost dumber than trout ;)

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I would love to know who these bucket biologists are and what their intent is with putting yellows in these small lakes.  Is it to piss off the DNR and other fisherman, are they just piss poor fisherman and can't catch anything else, are they completely stupid, or is it a combination of all those options? ???

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Some think this just happened on Little Wall. I caught my first yellow there over 6 years ago.

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:02 PM »
Caught yellows on deer jerky before even.  Almost dumber than trout ;)
Haha, almost forgot. Once we ran out of waxies I cut a chunk of belly meat off of a yellow and continued to catch yellows and gills for the next 2 hours....on the same piece of meat ::)

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:10 PM »
You had to be using the jerky to catch a eye. No one would waste good jerky on yellows.
I think I'm trying Corni again this Friday. But I still have the itch to join you on Clear.

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:19 PM »
They just need to bite the bullet and kill off Corny now its not gonna get any better with all the yellows and whites in there.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Dont be so harsh on Corny, Iowaboy.  Name me 5 other lakes in North Central Iowa that arent overrun with little fish.  Be it yellow bass, crappies, bluegills, whatever...

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:01 PM »
We plan to head up.where's the best spot to fish with kids?

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:03 PM »
We hit the bigger yellows and perch about 30 yards straight out from the bath rooms on the north bank. We were in 10 FOW. I love my ice fishing but I'm chickening out with this warm weather. It was only below freezing for about 2 hours on Corni last night and it's staying in the 40s tonight. I just don't think I'd be going out tomorrow with kids.
There's still open water and trout to catch. Ada Hayden is still ice free and 20 minutes away.

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.the bathrooms by the camping?only been up there in the summer.I agree kids might not be good.how was the ice lastnight?

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:10 PM »
Fished for a while tonight.  Still 5" or so of ice.
Caught my first yellow out of the lake probably six or seven years ago.  Whites have always been in there.
They just need to bite the bullet and kill off Corny now its not gonna get any better with all the yellows and whites in there.
If you would have seen the gills we caught just before ice out last year, or the eyes this fall, you might rethink that statement.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:54 AM »
With those kind of #'s in a small lake its the fishing we use to know is done.  End up being drained  just like alot of the lakes in SW Iowa.  Real shame.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:01 PM »
With those kind of #'s in a small lake its the fishing we use to know is done.  End up being drained  just like alot of the lakes in SW Iowa.  Real shame.

I'm still new to fishing and it really pains me to hear how decent the fishing used to be on some of Iowa's lakes. I've been to Minnesota a few time to fish and really enjoy the quality of fishing there but I would rather find spots here in Iowa and help my fellow Iowans with my tourist dollars. My .02 cents...

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:43 PM »
I agree. There is no hope for the lake. If the yellows are as thick on the rest of the lake as they were on the north bank its doomed soon.
Was there today and there were spots of open water ten feet out along the north bank.

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Did you fish today?is there any ice that is safe.we plan on heading that way tomorrow morning.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Didn't like the looks of Corni so we went up to Clear. We were on Farmers. There was 8" of ice with water on top. The ice was good but also some open water.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:31 PM »
open spots in the farmers beach area?

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Did anyone fished cornelia today?or check the ice

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Lots of open water around the shore on the norht end. Did pretty good last week.

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2012, 01:24 PM »
We went out on Saturday morning.ice was ok.4 inches or so.caught alot of perch and yellows.vary windy.hope to make it back this weekend.

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Just drove out there,I wouldn't plan on getting on ant time soon.  Open water at the ramp,north and east shores, and 6 or 8 spots in the middle.  Elm and Morse aren't much better. :'(

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:46 PM »
Yeah the ramp was open a bit when we were there.but the ice was pretty good next to it to the north.my buddy lost his bucket in the wind.went all the way to the beach and floated in the open water.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:31 PM »
wind today opened up A LOT of corny, elm, briggs, and a bunch of ponds in the webster city area...places i was fishing on decent ice 3 days ago.  :( 

Offline metalworkz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2012, 10:50 PM »
At least its supposed to be below freezing all week at night.if the wind dies down by the weekend some of the small ponds should be ok again.

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:46 AM »
drive by Morse, Cornelia, and Elm this morning.

Morse had a big open spot in the middle and looked very low.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The south half of Cornelia was open and underneath the walking bridge a large portion was opening back up. The lil cove was all iced over.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Checked the North side of elm. It was all iced up except the spot off that point that never freezes. It also looked pretty low and alot of descent sized rocks were frozen down in the ice right out from the boat ramp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.