The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: N. Platte River  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
N. Platte River
« on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Does anyone fish the hardwater on the platte? I have a spot or two and have not been able to find anything except the occasional perch. It may be the abundance of food this time of year with the water being so much lower.

Offline antero

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: N. Platte River
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:48 PM »
is it safe to fish the river?   

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I wouldn't think so....
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:06 PM »
The actual river? You are a braver man than I.

In colder climates where the rivers freeze up solidly its a really good play. The natural lakes are getting a little oxygen depleated. Rivers stay oxygenated so fishing stays good. Its tricky to run sonar with a current though.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:12 PM »
No current where he is talking.

There have always been fish there.  Fish a lot and use a flasher.  Maybe the fish are suspended.  You would miss them without electronics.  I have never ice fished there, but in years past, we caught nice trout and walleyes after shut down but before ice up.

Good luck.

Keith

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Cmon, this river post is making me sound like a crazy person! :o I have got an area with steep cliffs and tall hills. That means plenty of shady windless water. During the summer I have some very good days each year catching eyes and there are always plenty of little ones there as well. Right now there is 7" of ice othe majority of my honey hole! Feel free to join me ;D

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:58 PM »
River fishing sounds fun!!!

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Fished the river for most of the day. Despite the snow pounding us all day we had nonstop action until around 2. It slowed down a bit after that but did not quit. Final tally was a few eyes, 1 rainbow around 19", and a holy terror of monster suckers. Do not worry, I kept a few for my tip ups as soon as I can get to a laker or pike hole! I believe it was around 25 suckers. Go figure I caught everything jigging, not a single deadstick fish. My buddy had aroun a 6lb rainbow break the line at the hole! 9" of ice an counting!

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I would love to have a river hole, nicely done!
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:59 PM »
I would love to get some suckers for some cat bait!! From Casper IceFishur03?
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:54 PM »
I live in Guernsey but I frequent Casper quite often. Willing to trade? I have much more sucker meat than any one man ought to have!

Offline chancemarquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:05 AM »
ive been on the river its not that bad

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Hey Icefishur03! i would love to get some of those suckers if you have any to spare?!?!?   i will pay cash or whatever you want!   how do i get a hold of you? im from casper also

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:42 AM »
or trade anything you want. i have lots of good wild game from this year? elk  whitetail and antelope.  what else might you wanna trade?

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Oh yeah, I got tons elk and deer meat, but i am sure you got lots as well. I suppose we can work something in regards to buying gas and fishin together, perhaps a keyhole trip? At least tag along and catch some myself one day. Thanks 03.
><{{{{*>~---

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:17 PM »
I've been eyeballin' a spot on the river off the rail in the canyon outside of Guernsy on the Platte. Just a couple of miles up the river from Wendover. A nice pool which isn't flowing very much at all right now. You may have fished it before?

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Wyoutdoorrs, you may be on the money in that spot. I have not got to that one yet ;)

Today my buddy and I limited out on 15" eyes with no problems. We started off slow slayin them big ol suckers left and right again. I moved up the river into a different hole and we tore the eyes up on jigs tipped with night crawlers. Possibly my best day yet catching walleye. Even deadsticked a few perch in. One big one at 12" and the shoulders to match ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:19 PM »
When it comes to trading suckers or selling them I am not sure on the legalities of that. If anyone is interested please PM me so we can keep this in house ;) Just in case anyone is wondering, quantity and size of these suckers is mind boggling; there are plenty to go around!

Offline shiner1500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:48 AM »
my granma used to can suckers for winter eating added a little red coloring and it looked and tasted like salmon,now i use them just for bait  go figure

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Yet again my buddy and I caught our limit of walleye. Tried a new hole this afternoon and caught bigger walleye with less action from the suckers! I can't believe no one else fishes the river this time of year :o

Offline cobra_19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Sounds like the word is out no more secrets.  Thanks for posting :)  To far for me to go but sounds like good fishing, enjoy!  Do you have any pics of the fish your catching?
Caught a big'un!

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Cobra, I do not know how to post pics at the moment. I will figure ou how and get some of these river critters posted!

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Wyoboypt, I will be in Casper by next Tuesday. With me I will bring a few dozen suckers. Just in case you or anyone else may want more! Please let me know if this works for you.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Cobra, I do not know how to post pics at the moment. I will figure ou how and get some of these river critters posted!

Get yourself an account at photobucket.com. Here are directions on posting pics  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0
Would love to see some pics!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:34 AM »
My wife is from that area and her mom still lives in G.  She talks about skating on the rive but they never fished it.  Its a great idea since they do not let water down the river in the winter.  So do you drive up the river on your atv,s
olefish

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:35 AM »
I have ice fished wendover a few times...in the summertime we float glendo to wendover...how thick is the ice right now?  We hit the little res today here in wheatland and didn't do well but didn't have any bait...caught some small fish on rock lake...hopefully we will have better luck tomorrow..

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:48 PM »
Olefish, you can drive into or near all areas that I go to. However, it is still fun to take the ATV down to the river. Some places you may have to drive in then walk up the ice channel to the desired hole. The average ice is at 9" currently. Please do not let the majority thickness fool you there are areas covered in snow with just skim ice and open holes.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2011, 12:49 AM »
Been looking for evidence of fishing and drilling along the river in the canyon as we go by on the train. None yet... Ever fish the canyon?

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Hey 03,
I've fished the river in the past with modest luck. Never got into limits of them. I checked my favorite hole this fall and it seemed as though it was mostly full of sand. I been working out of town lately but would love to give it a try. Be around the next couple days and hope to do some fishing. Let me know if you'd like a partner cause you never know on the river....
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I will be out at the river for Thursday if you care to join Mulebarn!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.