Author Topic: Question for the Mod's  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Question for the Mod's
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Just curious, I noticed that some states are broken down into two forum topics; "general ice fishing" and "reports and conditions" while others (Utah for example) are lumped into one category... why the difference?

I only ask because the two-topic approach seems to be cleaner, especially for the reports/conditions, and also it seems that the two-topic approach promotes more activity.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Question for the Mod's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Dizzy,

I've been on this site since 2003.  Utah has never had many members of this forum.  And it seems less that two forum topics produces more traffic, rather that more traffic produces a need for two forums.  If and when there are enough of us from the Great State of Utah regularly visiting and posting to warrant two headings, they'll divide it in two.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Like Fishermn said, Utah does not have the same amount of members or traffic that the other boards get. If you reallly feel strong about it, post a comment in the suggestion area for the owner of this site to see.

here is the link:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=2.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Thanks guys.

I guess we need to generate more members/traffic for the Utah forum in order to justify a split.

I certainly see enough people out on the ice to support it... gotta keep flyin' the flag!

Tight lines.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:57 PM »
There're lots of guys on the ice, they just happen to be on another website.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:21 AM »
I`ve been seeing a little more traffic on the board,this is the reason I started the Utah reg site thread,, If I see that guys want a Reports and Conditions thread,I`ll be happy to start one.... JT

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:00 AM »
We get a lot of readers, but few posts.  I leave during the summer but from october to april i am on IS all the time!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I`ve been seeing a little more traffic on the board,this is the reason I started the Utah reg site thread,, If I see that guys want a Reports and Conditions thread,I`ll be happy to start one.... JT

i think a reports and condition board would be great. if its like the other state boards it should increase members
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 09:23 PM »
I tell ya what,,You guys send me a list of lakes with lake name,max depth,and surface acres and I will start you a thread.. have it look like this...       Lake X
                                Max Depth  120 ft
                                2475 surface acres
 Pm me the details and I`ll get started on it for ya..

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:48 PM »
cool hoosier ill see how much info i can dig up from the DNR on lakes in the state
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:28 AM »
I tell ya what,,You guys send me a list of lakes with lake name,max depth,and surface acres and I will start you a thread.. have it look like this...       Lake X
                                Max Depth  120 ft
                                2475 surface acres
 Pm me the details and I`ll get started on it for ya..

Thank you Hoosier for offering this up!  :tipup:

I just sent you a PM with base info for about 16 of the more popular ice fishing lakes here in Utah... should be a good start. Since I raised the point I kind of felt obligated to jump right into the deep end.  ;D

Muskyon46, I CC'd you in on the PM so you can see what I sent and maybe add to it (or correct some of it).

For others interested, I included the following info;
- Lake:
- County:
- Size (acres):
- Max. Depth:
- Fish Species:

Let's see what happens.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:07 AM »
i think you got it covered dizzy thanks for gettin that info. deffinately a good start. thanks hoosier for settin it up.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:31 AM »
you guys rock!  let me know when and where i can assist with the efforts!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 01:45 PM »

you guys rock!  let me know when and where i can assist with the efforts!

Thanks Duneman!

I would venture a guess that Hoosier has all he needs at the moment (and then some) to set up the base format for a separate "Utah Reports & Conditions" forum. Between Muskyon46 and myself, Hoosier has the necessary information on the following bodies of water;
- Utah Lake
- Willard Bay
- Deer Creek Reservoir
- Bear Lake
- Hyrum Reservoir
- Newton Reservoir
- Lost Creek Reservoir
- Porcupine Reservoir
- Causey Reservoir
- Flaming Gorge Reservoir
- Mantua Reservoir
- Jordanelle Reservoir
- Pineview Reservoir
- Pelican Lake
- Strawberry Reservoir
- Scofield Reservoir
- Yuba Reservoir
- Echo Reservoir
- Rockport Reservoir
- East Canyon Reservoir

I "think" this list covers most of the major, public fisheries in the ice belt (but I could be mistaken). Once the forum is up and running, I assume that any IS.com member can request additional lakes/reservoirs to be added to the forum simply by sending a "PM Request" to the Moderator for review.

Hoosier, if any of this sounds out of line with what you had planned, please feel free to step in and correct me… I'm just basing my info on what I have experienced under the IS.com Pennsylvania Forums.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Dizzy, checking out your Utah board. I didn't realize how many reservoirs are in your new state! I think PA is finalling going into deep freeze next week. The lakes on the plateau have a thin cap. Mark D

Good to hear Mark... I hope it keeps building. You guys must be chomping at the bit to get after those Lake Naomi jumbos!  ;D

The problem you get into in Jan/Feb is that you get these great Alberta Clippers that bring single digits... but also a lot of wind, and without a solid cap it breaks everything up regardless of the temps.

Regarding Utah, yes - I was actually surprised at the number of reservoirs and the diversity of the fisheries out here. Toughest part (of course) is finding the time to enjoy them!  :P

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Regarding Utah, yes - I was actually surprised at the number of reservoirs and the diversity of the fisheries out here. Toughest part (of course) is finding the time to enjoy them!  :P

I couldn't agree more, the other hard part is deciding what to target...  coming from a trout elitest family i feel the urge to catch big trout, but my fat butt really wants some beer battered panfish! 

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:18 PM »

I couldn't agree more, the other hard part is deciding what to target...  coming from a trout elitest family i feel the urge to catch big trout, but my fat butt really wants some beer battered panfish!

Same here. I love fly-fishing for trout... but as far as EATING fish? Gimme perch, gills, and crappies (oh, and white bass).

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Ya i hear you guys on the trout fishin, grew up fishin with my dads parents hittin the streams and rivers around wyoming (only troutin for them). Then hit the lakes with my moms mom in southern utah (same thing only troutin) granpa was a baker and there was always some good grub when we got back. I still love fishin trout but have had to figure different times of year for different species. I never did get the taste for trout except smoked.  I do luv eatin walley, crappie, bass, perch, burbot and still havent tried gills but im sure it wont be long. Now all i need is more TIME!  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Fish lake?

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:28 PM »

Fish lake?

Fish Lake is definitely on the "to add" list.

Probably many others missed as well. Once the Reports & Conditions forum is up and running it will be much easier to see where we're at.

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2011, 12:38 PM »
Hey prospector! Are you asking ice conditions at fish lake?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Hey prospector! Are you asking ice conditions at fish lake?
No sir, But if you have some info., I am all ears. I am coming down in a week. Wanted to try for some gills at Mantua and crappie at Pineview. Fish lake is not out of the question at all though. "have rod, will travel" Love to meet some of you guys on the ice too! Thanks, Joe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.