Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Storm Lake Ice Conditions  (Read 3231 times)

Offline SaxMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Storm Lake Ice Conditions
« on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Wondering how the ice is up on storm. I'm in Des Moines and my vacation week is the 26th through the 2ND, staying with the girlfriends parents and hope to put a hurt on the eyes. Just hope its fishable. It'll be my first time up, so anyone who can help me out would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline bryanl87

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Storm Lake Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:49 PM »
My dad drove up there today and said he saw no one on the lake, not one person.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2011, 01:13 PM »
How about now...thinking of traveling up on Dec. 26th...

Offline SaxMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2011, 07:42 AM »
Going out on Storm this morning. Shoot me a pm if anyone's going out!

Offline tjslim3271

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Anyone been out on storm lake at all lately?? hows the ice and the bite? thinking about coming up sometime

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:08 PM »
How is the ice holding up with this stupid wind?  Thinking about heading over Saturday.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:09 PM »
I know the IGL's are taking a beating with the wind, 1/3 or better of Spirit is open, can't imagine Storm faring much better...

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I know the IGL's are taking a beating with the wind, 1/3 or better of Spirit is open, can't imagine Storm faring much better...

sandman has been telling me stormy is being opened up.  he hopes the wind dies down in the morning so he can throw permanents on the east side by the campground on saturday.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Thanks guys.  Guess we will play the waiting game and see what happens.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  Guess we will play the waiting game and see what happens.

he will text me when he goes out saturday.  if its good, i will be out sunday.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:40 PM »
Lets keep the language family friendly...

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Please update when you hear Saturday.  Was planning on coming up from Sioux City on Sunday....would hate to waist time and money.

thanks

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Please update when you hear Saturday.  Was planning on coming up from Sioux City on Sunday....would hate to waist time and money.

thanks

i work in sioux city and live in anthon, so i know the feeling.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:55 PM »
dave sanders (sandman) just sent me a picture text.  he has his permanent on the east side, 7 inches of good ice he said.  ice looks clear from the photo.  i can upload when i get home.  if i know the spot, he is on the east side just south of the campground and north of the marina.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:00 PM »
he said most of the lake has locked back up but he doesnt know how good.  and he is on the east side where i figured.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:42 PM »

dave said.....

About 60 feet from shore in 4-5 FOW with clear ice 6-7 inches. Looks like a little patch of open water by the little Shorty's island but most of the lake is finally starting to lock-up. (would still stay close to shore for a few days). Hard to get on the lake from the east boat ramp due to big ice chunks piled up a shore. We did clear a path on the south side of the ramp that is not too bad.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:45 PM »
dave texted me a photo showing me 10 other shacks on the ice in the area.  GAME ON!

Offline perch.eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Headed that way tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a bait shop?

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Headed that way tomorrow. Can anyone recommend a bait shop?

Adam's Bait & Tackle. 612 Superior St.

best small town style bait shop i have seen EVER.  guy has everything, runs it out of his garage, but has EVERYTHING and is very knowledgeable.  he's in his 70's so be patient, and he still fishes stormy to this day!

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:39 PM »
the bait shop in storm lake is out of large minnows for awhile now, so if your coming for walleye, stop on the way wherever you can to get large minnows.  small minnows are not getting the eyes, just large.  small chubs would work also.  the bite is light, sometimes just biting on the tail of the minnow, so bring your slip bobbers also.

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Has anyone been out today? Hoping to make it out there tomarrow, was wondering how thick the ice is and where the best place to walk in at would be. Never been there before, any help would be appreciated.
There is no substitute for union craftsmanship.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Has anyone been out today? Hoping to make it out there tomarrow, was wondering how thick the ice is and where the best place to walk in at would be. Never been there before, any help would be appreciated.

i will be out there in the morning, at 6am.  big minnows on a normal hook with a slip bobber are working.  small minnows are not.  bait shop in storm lake is all out of large minnows, so stop at scheels or bacon creek general store before you come out.  east side is safe ice, by the camp grounds.  pretty much out there by the wooden permanent shack and you are golden.  the bite is light, so bring a slip bobber :)

see you out there!

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:21 PM »
look for a 87 red toyota 4x4 , rusty but trusty, with woodbury plates and the tailgate down.  you should be in the right spot when you find my truck.  head on out and lets ice some eyes!

Offline giggity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Thanks alot for the info Shane, much appreciated. Will say hi if we see ya, there will be 3 of us in a tan ford with Nebraska plates.
There is no substitute for union craftsmanship.

Offline perch.eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Thanks Shane, appreciate it.  That info makes traveling 2 1/2 hours a lot less stressful!  Hope to see you there.. ;D

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Thanks alot for the info Shane, much appreciated. Will say hi if we see ya, there will be 3 of us in a tan ford with Nebraska plates.

enjoyed seeing you guys out there.  hope the bite turned on at dark like normal.  during the day it was hit and miss for me, but i did alot of hitting :)

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:12 AM »
How is the bite on storm lake after dark say in that 6:00 to 10:00 time frame? I have never ice fished up there sounds like a blast.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:30 PM »
from what sandman says, its really good.  especially on the west side, but the west side was not safe last weekend, but should be by this coming weekend :)

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:38 PM »
Thanks shane, I fished the west side this spring open water and did good. Hopefully this cold weather will build some ice over that way.

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:23 PM »
by this weekend, ice should be plenty good enough by the inlet. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.