The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boots  (Read 2361 times)

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boots
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:50 PM »
My feet get really could, even in the hut with the heater going. I need some advise on really warm boots. I find myself in the slush at times and need water proof. If anyone has any ideas, your input would be appreciated. Thank you. Not to worried about cost, but would like to keep it under 2 bills.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:55 PM »
My feet get really could, even in the hut with the heater going. I need some advise on really warm boots. I find myself in the slush at times and need water proof. If anyone has any ideas, your input would be appreciated. Thank you. Not to worried about cost, but would like to keep it under 2 bills.
I wear Arctic Mucks when its above -10 but when it gets stupid cold, I throw on the Cabelas Trans-Alaskas's. They're rated to -130 if I remember right.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Military surplus mickey mouse boots.  Got mine for about 50$ i wear 1pair Of winter socks amd fish out side.  But even those may not keep your feet warm if i generally have issues with cold feet.
Don

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Baffin Impacts...... Feet stay super warm and do not sweat... Normally around $185 retail but I found mine on geartrader.com brand new shipped for $85 shipped   :o

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I just got a set of Baffins, no ice here for a while so I have only worn them to try them on. They are like having pillows on your feet. They seem real comfortable and only weigh 3lbs each (size 12). The prices are in Canadian $'s, I paid under $300 for a pair for me and a pair for my girlfriend off Amazon. Make sure you get at least a size over if you order them. I'm an 11 and the 12's are snug.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/4000m001.htm

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Thanks for input, I have some Arctic mucks and the bogg version, good but only for a while, still end up with froze toes. :( I'll check into the trans-alaskian and the mickey mouse boots. Mickey Mouse Boots sounds like a gag, but someone at work told me about them, so thanks for the verification.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Found these discussions here on the Shanty.....

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=185536.0
                http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=198217.0

And almost everything else you want to know about clothing for icefishing.... :tipup:               

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Baffin, never heard of them I'll check them out. Thanks

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:13 PM »
The old mickey mouse boots are very warm, but also heavy, and kind of clumsy with their size. They also are rubber and if your sock slips down they will wear the skin off your leg. I wore them for a few years. If I was tight on cash, I would buy them again. But if you have the extra money I'd go lighter and more comfortable.

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:18 PM »
the last couple of years I've been wear insulated red wing over shoes. they r water proof and have metal spikes on the bottom.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:23 PM »
I've got an old pair of Sorel Dominators that are probably ten years old and still keep my feet warm. I do a lot of walking and have never fished in a shelter/hut and they've held up great. I drench them every time I drill a hole and they've always stayed water tight.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:27 PM »
This is my second season with Predator Extreme boots  (from world's foremost store in Sidney, Nebraska).  Last winter I fished without a hut at  -25 and my feet were fine.  They are a bit bulky, but not heavy.  I think they are around $150 - watch for a sale and you might get them around $120.

Good Fishing!

Keith

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Thanks for everyones input, I didn't mess around. I ordered a pair of Baffin Impacts, off of amazon $141.96 and that was with one day shipping, should have them friday. Just in time for first trip to the ice. Thanks again. ;D

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Good choice!!!! You wont be dissapointed!!! I hope you ordered a size bigger.... ;)

Offline newyotcx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:31 PM »
check out hoffman calk boots they have them in all different kinds we all have the lined pac boots but they have metal cleats on them and don't plug up like slip on cleats and very warm and no more slipping always good footing

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Did you get them one size over what you would use for a sneaker or work boot? They even recommend it on their site, and I can tell you for sure you want them one size over.

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:56 AM »
Send them back and get the mickies. Its not a gag. I use them and they are great boots. I've been on the ice in -20 and my feet didn't get cold. I've also gotten them wet and still not cold. Best winter purchase ever. I got mine for around $40.

Offline Greenie00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:47 AM »
I wear mucks all winter no complaints.

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:54 AM »
I wear a half size, so I bought them a half big rather than 1 1/2. I read that the foam molds to your foot. hopefully they will work out. I think I have poor circulation or something, my feet get cold easy. So a 20 dollar pair of socks and boots rated at -148 degrees should do the trick.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Send them back and get the mickies. Its not a gag. I use them and they are great boots. I've been on the ice in -20 and my feet didn't get cold. I've also gotten them wet and still not cold. Best winter purchase ever. I got mine for around $40.
I remember you wearing those things last year at the hut party. Those things are HUGE! looked warm though.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:27 AM »
you will love them I have had mine for 3 years now and they are like keepin your feet in a hot tub lol nice and warm comfy and we dont mess around when we are out it can be -20 and we fish from dark to dark and not one time have I ever been cold  :tipup:
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:04 AM »
I've found socks make the difference to me, I've got 4 or 5 pairs of boots from light to heavy, as long as i have a good(not walmart cheapies) pair of socks on the boot I choose doesn't matter as much. Conversely I can put my highest dollar cold weather boots on with cheap socks ans the feet get cold pretty quickly. just my 02
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline thushbeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:36 AM »
I use fleece socks over cotton socks to get moisture away from the foot.  With circulation problems in my feet a possiblity these are very effective.  They are available from Sierra Trading Post at a reasonable price.  My next step will be a pair of heated boots if age causes my circulation to reduce. 

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:19 AM »
   Stange recommends polypropylene socks under heavy alpaca socks and making sure your boots aren't too tight. You might also want foot or hand warmers if it's brutal out.

Offline durty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:21 AM »
I like the artic mucks too.  Waterproof and they keep my feet warm as well.  Plus, they are slip on, so they are fairly easy to take on and off

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:16 AM »
If your boots are the slightest too tight it will restrict the blood flow in your feet and make them cold.
Don

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I don't mean to minimize cold footitiis, but the best cure for chilly feet is lots of active fish. . .the time between can be a little tough, though.  ;)2
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Fishing the lakes around Pinedale and Jackson, you will end up standing in overflow at least a few times a year.  I also like to blast out the slush with the auger which sprays water all over the feet an lower legs.  I have had many different brands and styles of boots for ice fishing, and find that any boot that has sewn areas within the bottom 6-8" will eventually leak.  That includes boots with Goretex liners.

I bought a pair of Boggs with 1000 g thinsulate (got a good deal, was looking for the Arctic Muck boots) and I love them.  The fact that there are no seams makes them bulletproof. 

I have found that no matter how good your boots are, if you are not keeping whole body warm, the feet and hands will be the first to get cold.  The temperature ratings on the boots crack me up.  When they say "keeps feet warm down to -100" does that mean if I am standing around naked on the ice in my boots, my feet will still be warm? :o

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:25 PM »
   Would it matter!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.