Author Topic: Smitty sled  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smitty sled
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Been thinkin about making one instead of buying a $50+ jet sled. I would like to be able to take this sled apart and throw in my car since i dont own a truck, but what do you think about a third cross-member or some sort of base or floor? Need ideas! my clam 2000 was old and it froze to bass lake last year and i broke the plastic floor when packing up for home. I now have a hub shanty and need a sled FAST!  BTW Valpo goodwill has an old pair of K2 skis for 25 bux. i thought that was expensive so didnt pop on em.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smitty sled
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Sure you could add a third cross member..  Just adding more weight...
I use a large plastic tote on mine.. Cheap, light weight and lots of room.. 

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:26 PM »
I have a sled made from old skis and an old door.  I carry a plastic truck box/tool box on it and a couple 5 gallon buckets.  Heater in 1 bucket, Vex in the other.  Misc stuff in tool box.  Auger strapped on top.  If I had a popup shelter it would go on top also.  Pulls great.   I have a one man shelter on it's own tub style sled.  I'm building another sled for it to make it pull easier in deep snow. 

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:41 PM »
So ive yet to find some good skis. But after about 200 views had 2 replys.  (thanks guys)Thought that I had some questions that some other brother "shanty men" might have too. Tough cokrowd

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:39 PM »
So ive yet to find some good skis. But after about 200 views had 2 replys.  (thanks guys)Thought that I had some questions that some other brother "shanty men" might have too. Tough cokrowd
I got a pair of k2's from duneland resaleshop for 20$. Them ladies dont bargain either. Anyhow tonight was the first time that I could get out in the garage and get started. I feel that the original Smitty is about the best idea. No third ski or third crossmember. Its just not needed. If you have building one in mind then you might want to jump on the skis because more and more people are making them. With stuff in the garage, ill be in about 40$. If it works like everybody claims, it will be worth its weight in gold. Tired of ice heart attacks from pulling these flip shanties in deep snow. If I get it done I will try to post a picture on this thread. I have to make a menards run and bolt everything down.

Offline perchmasterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:47 AM »

Here's my new homemade sled for my suitcase shanty. I got tired of it being a snow plow instead of it riding on top of the snow. Now it is like pulling 5lbs behind me when I have probably 85lbs of gear on it. It puts together in 30 seconds and takes apart in 15 seconds. It glides so easy over the snow! Now I,m not afraid of walking a long distance to a hot spot if I have to. It can be built for $15-$20 depending how cheap you get your skis for and what other stuff you have on hand. My skis only cost me $5 at our local thrift store. This also comes apart really easy so you can fit in your car like I have to, NO TOOLS REQUIRED! I thought I should share this for anyone on a budget or for one to get into your car Like I have to. Smitty
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:04 AM »
Good job. Bet some guys will copy this 4 sure.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:53 PM »
there is a 19 page thread here on the smitty sled. many variations

Yep, there sure is...  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:55 PM »

I finally got my Smitty Sled done. I went with 2x8 risers and 2x4 runners. I used a wooden dowel set up so that I can choose between a 24",28" or 32" sled. I will probably use it most on the 24" setting. Thank you Smitty0312 for a Genius Idea.

Offline stripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:21 AM »
I made one of Smitty's sled's using old ski's, I got from a local ski store. The owner, told me he didn't know what to do with the old trade ins, I said I would take them, anytime he wanted to get rid of them. I pull one of the old minuteman II by shappell. Any of you, who know what it is, knows how heavy they are. The sled worked perfectly in 12" of snow, with all of the gear piled on top of it.  I'd say to anyone wanting to do it, "what are you waiting for" ????? :)

Offline pikemaster34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Find fish, Catch fish, Eat fish
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Last time i was in St. Vincents thrift store in Ft. Wayne they had a barrel full of skis and they were all under 10 bucks

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:12 PM »
I finally got my Smitty Sled done. I went with 2x8 risers and 2x4 runners. I used a wooden dowel set up so that I can choose between a 24",28" or 32" sled. I will probably use it most.           Looking at the I-bolts, thought it may be better if they were pointed up that way they won't be pulling thru the snow. Just my 2 cents.

Offline shovelheadman45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:03 PM »
ride sally ride u guys are gooooood!!

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Wish we could get some "testing" weather!
Nice job BTW!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Do you think it will pull better with it set at 24'' than the 32''? or is it just depend on what your haulin?

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Do you think it will pull better with it set at 24'' than the 32''? or is it just depend on what your haulin?
After trying all 3 sizes I would say that it definetly should pull best on 24". The sled will still haul the same width (32") so I will try it at 24. Its more sturdy for sure at the 24"( tighter).

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:17 PM »
      My version of the Smitty
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2011, 07:03 PM »
That is a nice lookin sled.

Offline Surly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)     (Image removed from quote.) My version of the Smitty
And your version of a hernia  ::) I have helped move that thing
The light at the end of the tunnel is usually an on coming train!!

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2011, 11:22 PM »
I would highly recommend that you got to the above mentioned "SMITTY SLED site on ICE SHANTY and read all the posts. I built one and I am very happy with it. There are lots of good ideas there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.