Author Topic: fires/ fire pits on lakes-are they legal?  (Read 10028 times)

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
fires/ fire pits on lakes-are they legal?
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:07 AM »
Just wondering-I thought I read somewhere that open firepits on frozen lakes are illegal? can I make one-? obviously I would make one with a solid base, and not with the intention of melting thru. can I use a portable fire pit?

just a thought for keeping the kids entertained, roasting marshmallows etc. seen lots of guys doing it so I was wondering.

ps I would clean up after, unlike some ::)

J
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fires/ fire pits on lakes-are they legal?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Hi,

Personal opinion is they are very unsightly!
Messy coals and black spots left behind.
And who knows what burnt toxins are left to get into the water.

Small portable BBQ would seem to be the way to go!

SeaDog1

Offline shawn999

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:15 AM »
if the fish-cop gives hassle get your youngest to offer a fresh roasted marshmallow lol Ive been making fires on the ice for 10 years now, and had the conservation off.'s there before and nothing was said.... hes usually more interested in our catch/beverages haha. as for the debris, i extinguish and scoop the junk into a pail for disposal. forest fires have been around since the dawn of forests and the lakes seem to be doing fine regardless ;-)

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:42 AM »
As long as you have a pit with a solid bottom that will catch all the ash and coals, you should be fine. I've been told in the past by CO's that the ash left behind from fires right on the ice will sink down and can coat the bottom and contaminate spawning beds. Not to mention all those lovely black coals floating around in the spring, washing up on beaches.

Mmm, roasted lunch over a fire, reminds me of when I was a wee-one!

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Rumtan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:51 AM »
My buddy built one and fashioned it to be pulled around like a sleigh,  keeps the fire contained and no ash left on the ice.  There is even a place at the back to stash extra logs.  I will try to get a pic next time im out that way.

Offline shepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • aw ...give the fishy a kiss.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:52 PM »
thanks guys!-I was thinking of some sort of portable fire pit, like the ones you can take camping. I agree on the big mess that some leave behind, and I would clean up for sure. good way to keep kids entertained as well as roasting a few sausages  :)
CAN'T.....STOP....FISHING. ...

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:56 AM »
They are definitely unsightly messes, and I can't help but think they must weaken the ice under them somewhat. That being said it is sure nice some days to have the warmth available not to mention the cooking opportunity. Good on those of you who bring out a portable fire pit you get all the advantage and leave it clean. I'll have to look into getting one myself. They're our lakes and we have to look after them, god knows the government won't.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.