Author Topic: Unemployment and Ice Fishing?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Unemployment and Ice Fishing?
« on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I was just sitting here, bored to death, and I was thinking. Does the unemployment rate hurt or help the sport of ice fishing equipment sales and other expenses associated with it? Does the higher unemployment force people to sell or not buy ice fishing stuff and stay home or do you think those who unemployed buy more crap because they have nothing better to do besides fish all day? I hear plenty of stories about guys who are laid off that go out EVERY day. I think ice fisherman are going to fish no matter what happens at their job and somehow money is always scarped up to fish as food is overrated to some  ;D. Unfortunately  ;) I have a job and am stuck solely to weekend fishing and actually get jealous seeing the ice packed in the middle of the week while at work. So does the poor economy hurt or help sales in many areas like jigs, bait, poles, gas, clothing, food, alcohol in your area? Anyone in this position care to shed some light on this?
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
Re: Unemployment and Ice Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:53 PM »
It depends on why your unemployed. I'm laid off till march and my wife works. I work 70 to 80 hour weeks 4 months a year and the other 4-5 months are 50 to 60 hour weeks so I'm good all winter. The economy loves me this time of year. I feel for those that don't have work or can't find it anywhere and don't have a dual income household. That might hurt the ice fishing economy. I bet most still get out and buy bait though and scrape together unemployment money for ice needs.

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:58 PM »
same here, Im laid off from the time the ground freezes until it thaws, and just about all I do in the winter is fish, so I know im spending more on this hobby right now than some people, and I know if I had a full time job right now, I wouldn't have as much time to spend on ice fishing (read money on gear, haha)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I would guess it is a lot different in the states like yours and other up that way. But here in Western Colorado seeing a ton of people fishing is a rarity in the middle of the week. That includes the summer fishing. I can go up and fish any day other than the weekends and a lot of times not see another person fishing the lakes I go to.  I went to the Largest Lake in Colorado Saturday to ice fish. Of course the lake isn't frozen but there is plenty of ice at the inlet. There were my wife and I,a guy and his little girl, 2 guy's with Vexilars, 1 guy in a single flip over, one 6X6 Tent with a couple of guys and a woman, Another guy and his girl(friend/wife) And one other guy by himself that I remember seeing for the whole 4 hours I was there.  So there were 13 people I can remember. Gives you an idea of how many people fish that lake. It is 4 hours from Denver but only 1 1/2 hours from my house.  I would think the Economy doesn't increase fisherman. Unless the lakes or ponds are close by. Not too many people going to drive far without a job and money coming in.
<===Lefty===

Offline sllloyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I am laid off from a reg job not sure when i will go bk but i get alot of side work to keep me going so i alway seem to get out sometime lol looking foward to the hard water fishing as it is my fav

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:02 PM »
The government can remove one from the unemployment line. As of a few weeks ago I landed a job as a log scaler with the prospect of becoming the log yard manager after my training period.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:05 PM »
The government can remove one from the unemployment line. As of a few weeks ago I landed a job as a log scaler with the prospect of becoming the log yard manager after my training period.
Great to hear, good for you! Now take that first check and blow all of it on ice fishing stuff.  ;D
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Great to hear, good for you! Now take that first check and blow all of it on ice fishing stuff.  ;D
Wayyyyy ahead of you.  @)

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:09 PM »

Yup. Good to hear. Now be a good American consumer and worry about the banks later.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Well I am not saying that I wish I didnt have a job but laid oof for the ice season would be nice. good luck to everyone in the job hunt.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Well I am not saying that I wish I didnt have a job but laid oof for the ice season would be nice. good luck to everyone in the job hunt.

I would rather work all year like I do than collect unemplyment all winter....Its self worth thing. Sorry.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:35 PM »
I would rather work all year like to do than coolect unemplyment all winter....Its self worth thing. Sorry.

X2 but I love the time with the kids and fish. More fulfilling for the soul. To much time away all year and need that family time.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:09 AM »
I'm short on cash so this will be my first year since I started ice fishing that I don't have loads of lures and other toys coming through the mail for myself. After I get my license for next year I'll be lucky to afford shiners. Hoping Santa will send me some gear and bait.

I'm still planning on doing a lot of ice fishing and might even go out every day until I can get a second job (current job can hardly even be considered part time), will be trying even harder this year to catch my own bait. Maybe it'll be a good thing, use my jigs more than relying on tipups.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Junior, I think you should quit your job and fish all winter,you deserve it.On a more serious note,its not that bad if you have friends to share the cost of gas and bait,no extra for equipment but have a lot of fun. ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:24 AM »
No deer this year and the cupboards are bare. No money for new stuff but I'll still be there!

Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a life time!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:26 AM »
I am laid off every winter except for the occasional work for a day and i am kind of glad u can't climb trees in the winter..well u can but i don't ;D
FISH ON

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:29 AM »
This is my first year i've been layed off for the winter.  I dont know about anyone else, but it has really hurt my ice fishing funds.  Being in a single income household i can barely survive, so anything i've gotten for ice fishing have taken out of my gas for the week fund.  Dont know how anyone can survive on unemployment through the winter.  Hope i can find a job soon, Already effected Christmas for my kids.   

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:39 AM »
I would imagine that most people would just as soon have a job to go to as to go icefishing. I know it is a great sport and past time but a job pays the bills. I am disabled and I wish I were working. What I wouldn't give to work 10 hrs. a day.   Jerry

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:44 AM »
I will say I was on unemployment last year due to the company I worked at for 2.5 years shut down. And I did do alot of fishing and I was lucky to have most of my gear already from prior years of fishing. All the gear and bait I bought from my local bait shop and had a great season with a few great friends.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Depends I guess:

Are you just starting or getting back into ice fishing?...probably won't spend a whole lot of $ on it.

Are you an 'ol veteran that has just about everything necessary?...don't need to spend much $ on it.

Do you have the Dave Ramsay 4-6 month emergency fishing fund set aside?...spend away! ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:59 AM »
To those of you out there that are unemployed, I feel for you. I was laid off in May of 2010. Sitting on the govt cheese was never my style but as we all know, there arent a ton of jobs available out there now and there weren't then. I used my unemployed time to start my own business. I run a window cleaning business, its pretty part time (busy weeks are 20ish hours) but I make more money and work less hours than I did working for the man. Not the most glamorous job out there but it pays the bills, I work all year long and go fishing whenever I want.

Not to say any of you should do exactly what I did but.... There are plenty of low startup cost businesses out there that you can get rolling and not break the bank. Total cost on mine was a couple hundred bucks, I made a little over 30k my first year and am on pace to beat that by a good margin this year, assuming my year ends in May again. It can be done.... My financial wellbeing is in my own hands, not those of someone else. Its a good feeling!

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Depends I guess:

Are you just starting or getting back into ice fishing?...probably won't spend a whole lot of $ on it.

Are you an 'ol veteran that has just about everything necessary?...don't need to spend much $ on it.

Do you have the Dave Ramsay 4-6 month emergency fishing fund set aside?...spend away! ;D
Always put $$ back for the winter for sure....Winter is daddies time to sit back and fish ;D but summer all i do is work every day so it is nice to have some time to do SOMETHING besides work... :icefish:
FISH ON

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:18 AM »
I would imagine that most people would just as soon have a job to go to as to go icefishing. I know it is a great sport and past time but a job pays the bills. I am disabled and I wish I were working. What I wouldn't give to work 10 hrs. a day.   Jerry

I'm with you on that one. Been Disabled way too long and wish I could just get a job and work. Then when I do something wrong(twist turn lift) I know I wouldn't make it with a job. I would possibly work 2 days and have to take the next 3 or 4 off to get my back to stop having spasms.
Since I have been disabled I now have 2 bad thumbs which one of them has had an operation, a double hernia and Planter Fasciitis. I also have Arthritis in my Left hip and both knees.  There are times I go fishing and am fine after, but then there are times I go and have to lay flat on my back on the floor to get the spasms to stop.  But this won't keep me from trying and having fun here and there.
<===Lefty===

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:08 PM »
I guess if I was unemployed and things were getting real tough, I could sell most of my stuff and still be able to fish...just go back to basics. A couple of Schooleys, handful of jigs, some bait, bucket and a spud...well...maybe keep the auger.

I primarily fish only a couple of lakes anyway and know where to go on them, so a locator wouldn't be absolutely necessary; nor would a shack or heater...I'd just go on the nicer days. Be tougher, but I could/would do it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:32 PM »
I have never spent a single day on unemployment so can't speak for that.  But I can say that if I did end up unemployed I would still ice fish......I keep my tackle simple.......full set of Heritage Lakers bought years ago......hand auger.......bucket of bait.....p and j's and thermos of coffee for lunch!  That's how I fish when funds are fine so I think even surviving on unemployment I could scrounge 5 bucks a trip for shiners......and I have 10 bodies of water within 15 miles of my house so gas would be a non issue.

I think the only guys that unemployment would effect are the ones with all the gear known to man and that like to go on long trips to the big lakes!  They would have to scale it back maybe and that might effect the economy.....but my effect would probably be minimal if I were to end up on unemployment.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:40 PM »
well I will tell you that being unemployed is going to affect my ice fishing ALOT.   I went out this past weekend for a few hours and there is a very good chance it will be the only time I get out all season, just can't afford to drive anywhere or take that many hours off the job search. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:44 PM »
Not to mention the price of bait....!!!!! Crazy!!!  :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:52 PM »
well I will tell you that being unemployed is going to affect my ice fishing ALOT.   I went out this past weekend for a few hours and there is a very good chance it will be the only time I get out all season, just can't afford to drive anywhere or take that many hours off the job search.

Hey.....good luck with the job search!!!!! 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Before i got on year round with the MA state parks, i was laid off every winter.  i made ice fishing derbies a job, i would use my free time to fish the lake the derby was on all week, using my camera, vex and gps to mark locations where i found the big fish. My best season, i made over $1500.  Hit a couple 50-50 raffles as well.  great way to off-set my unemployemnt

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Being laid off for the winter is a bit differant than losing your job and being unemployed, so the fishing and buying are going to be a bit differant too.
Alot of the city workers get laid of for the winter and they fish everyday. Makes me green, but what can u do. My current job restricts me to the weekends
as where my last job gave me time off during the week. That was nice to have the lake to yourself during the week, hit all your hotspots without having to alter your course. Didnt see a lot of people on the lake in the summer, but in winter there are alot of unemployed guys out everyday or 3 times or more a week.
Summer fishing on the weekends is sometimes tough, what with more fisherman, skiers, jetskis & the plain idiots full throttle just crusing around ???
but winter is ok on the weekends as no one really bothers you in your shack, or buzzing you as your fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.