Author Topic: Bait Pen  (Read 1779 times)

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
Bait Pen
« on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:25 AM »
I recently put a 3'x2'x2' pen in a private pond with 1000 shiners in it. Will the animals destroy it? Anyone have any experience with this?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Bait Pen
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Is it screened in all 4 sides to allow for water to flow through?

Is it floating near shore or at the end of a dock?

What kind of lid do you have...a heavy one and locked, pinned or bungied closed?

I'd be scared that only 2' deep, it might freeze possibly.

I dont think any critters should bother it.

I have a 4'x4'x4' screen in box with a lid on top that floats at the end of a dock and nothing has bothered that for years now. Floats with some foam insulation strapped to the inside top of the box. Never freezes.

JIGGIN.

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I recently put a 3'x2'x2' pen in a private pond with 1000 shiners in it

FYI regarding possession of bait for personal use:

TITLE XVIII
FISH AND GAME
CHAPTER 207
GENERAL PROVISIONS AS TO FISH AND GAME
Definitions, Inclusions, Methods of Taking, Etc.
Section 207:5
    207:5 Limit on Possession. – No person may have in his possession at one time more wildlife than he may lawfully take in 2 days, unless otherwise provided in this title.
Source. 1935, 124:1. RL 241:4. RSA 207:5. 1977, 247:3, eff. Aug. 19, 1977.

PART Fis 502  BAIT FISH

(c)  The daily limit for minnows, including shiners, shall be 2 quarts liquid measure.

Scott Decker, NHFGD Inland Fisheries Supervisor

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Does this mean you can't have them in your garage in an aerated system? I see posts here with hundreds of baitfish in bait tanks. Would you clarify for me? thanks

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:34 AM »
So, I think I may possess 4 quarts. If it's in my own private pond then I'm ok, correct?

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:50 AM »
So, I think I may possess 4 quarts. If it's in my own private pond then I'm ok, correct?

That's correct, 4 quarts max. for personal use.  Doesn't matter if it's a private pond or a tank.  With a bait dealer's retail license, you can possess up to 100 quarts.  Bait dealer's wholesale license up to 200 quarts.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:08 AM »
My shiners are all 1-2" tops. So, I think I'm good. Thanks

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:29 AM »
I have a pond that is close to me that is a trout pond. Can I still trap shiners there as long as I only possess a trap when going there?

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2011, 12:40 PM »
I have a pond that is close to me that is a trout pond. Can I still trap shiners there as long as I only possess a trap when going there?

No.  Can only trap bait during the open season which is 4th Sat. in April - Oct. 15.

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:18 PM »
This thread went silent after the 2 quart comment. I am guessing everyone is out checking on their 2 quarts ;D

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:12 PM »

Is this for bait you have personally trapped. For example can a person go to a bait shop purchase and store more than 4 quarts.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Shiner trapping for me this year was bad. Only ended up with 3 dozen or so. Got a later start than I wanted. Only want redfins and put all others back.

JIGGIN.

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:26 PM »
For the $25 political fee you could join the ranks of a "Retail bait Dealer" where you can use traps up to 36" and 1 1/2" opening and a minnow seine 4' deep and 50' long so you can clean the spot out so the "sportsman" then has to buy bait off you.  CAN'T BEAT EM"= JOIN EM'

In the Big Book=Traps and nets on Page 217. RSA 214:34A

Smelt laws are even crazier for "Bait Dealers" = I'll find the #'s in a while and post later on this evening..

If you got the "Big Book" that is about 600 pages you can get from F&G for $46 delivered you will see the rules that will make you really wonder on the teetered laws for "dealers".

Best bet is to find a "secret spot" in a public water body to unload your catch and trap your 2Qt a day and release them in your secret spot.

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Really? So I can just spend an extra 25 for that option? It seems like a scam but to be legal and I still would save some cash. I could even officially sell them if desired. Where can I get this dealer license?

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Really it's the truth.

Smelt thing i'm trying to look up now= I believe i read that certain ponds=like 15 on even years you can drop net them in a 42" net and other years in another 15 different ponds. Even year and odd year you can go to those ponds and smelt out of the bobhouse.

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:49 PM »
No.  Can only trap bait during the open season which is 4th Sat. in April - Oct. 15.

So what you are saying is that once the ponds freeze over you can not trap ??

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Supervisor was answering a question about trout ponds only I had asked about earlier which I know has shiners but it closes Oct 15 . You can trap bait year round as long as it is a year round lake/pond

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Driving myself bonkers looking for the smelt law for Bait Dealers.

You can get ahold of F&G in concord to get an bait dealers application. I Remember somewhere where they come and do an inspection of your facility and can come at any Hour of the day or night to check up on ya un announced. No big deal if you have nothing to hide.

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:49 PM »

Bait Dealer’s Resident Retail  $26.00 cheap Insurance guys !!  ;)2 >:D

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:36 PM »
I had a bait dealers license a few years ago. Could be the way to go for some, not only will it allow you to trap and hold more bait, but if you needed to you could go to a wholesale dealer and by your bait by the pound for a lot cheaper. Fish and game will send a warden to your house to inspect your tank to make sure it is up to there standards before they issue a license.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.