Author Topic: Muck Boots  (Read 1463 times)

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Muck Boots
« on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:27 PM »
A lot of discussion lately about Ice Fishing clothing.
Leaning toward getting the Fabrill FXE Bibs and a AA jacket.
However in doing my research for boots, I think I want Muck, but I don't know what would be best for NH conditions.
I think the Muck Arctic Pro would be too warm..  I don't plan on being out there in -30-40 temps.
They will be used for snowmobiling too.  I'm looking at the Woodys so I can use both hunting and ice fishing.  However for more warmth, I'm looking at the Plain Arctic..    I'm looking for some local opinions again on this subject.  I know it's been beatin like a dead horse, but it's a new season with new opinions.  Again, I want something that is warm enough for all but the coldest conditions and high enough to keep me dry on those slushy days.

Thank you,
NB

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: Muck Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Im on the Lacrosse Alpha team on this one.  Best in my opinion.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:21 PM »
I really like my Lacrosse SST 2000's. Never get cold on the ice no matter the temps. They are a bit heavy though and you have no need for scent control on the lake. That is what I wear though. Never owned Mucks only ever had Lacrosse. Probably a useless response for ya I guess.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:22 PM »
After thorough research on here, I went with Muck Wetland Premium Field Boots.  I like them. Light weight, comfortable, rated -20 to 60 degrees. Good price too.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I love my Bogs...water proof, VERY Warm, and I even got my 7 year old a pair this year I was so impressed with them on my feet i know his will stay warm.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:07 PM »
I have both, muck artic pros & lacrosse alpha 1500s, and hands down the lacrosse are the warmest.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Im also a Lacrosse Alpha Fan.   I also have a few other pack style boots that have so much insulation they are rated for -50*

Main thing Im concerned about is that my feet stay DRY! With all the slushy conditions these past years a good rubber boot with decent insulation (1000grams or better, are usually all you need) The pack boots are definitely warm but will leak after a couple long days in deep slush or standing water... not too mention they are alot heavier than the Lacrosse  Just My $.02  ::)

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Thank you very much for all the replies.

Lacrosse Alpha's?  Like these at KTP?
Lacrosse Men's Alphaburly Sport Insulated Realtree APG HD Hunting Boot
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/prodid/26551

or these:
LaCrosse Men's Alpha Burly Sport 18" Winter Boot

I guess a personal thing.  how much to spend and pattern..  They all look like great boots.

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:33 PM »
I just got some Muck boots an have been wearing them around a little. Very comfortable but have yet to stand on ice with them.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Im also a Lacrosse Alpha Fan.   I also have a few other pack style boots that have so much insulation they are rated for -50*

Main thing Im concerned about is that my feet stay DRY! With all the slushy conditions these past years a good rubber boot with decent insulation (1000grams or better, are usually all you need) The pack boots are definitely warm but will leak after a couple long days in deep slush or standing water... not too mention they are alot heavier than the Lacrosse  Just My $.02  ::)
what level of insulation you get? 1500 or the 2000?

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:55 PM »
what level of insulation you get? 1500 or the 2000?

I tend to do alot of moving around on the ice and very rarely sit still... knowing this I have the 1000gram Lacrosse Alphas and my feet dont get cold.  As I said, the main thing for me is that the boots dont leak and my feet stay dry. I also like the smart wool socks and always have a spare pair or two with me, so if my feet sweat I can change them.  I feel it all comes down to personal preferrance and what your specific needs are. If you plan on sitting and jigging for most or your day, then I can definitely see getting a higher level insulation.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:58 PM »
I think I'll opt for either 1200 or 1500..

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:47 PM »

Mucks are good for ice fishing but for hunting they have a tends to tear on barbs or anything you can snag.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:08 AM »
This year was my last year for my Lacrosse Alpha 1000's. Great boot but split in several places (flex points) and couldnt take any more rubber patches.

This year I'm trying the Cabela's Comfort Trac (I believe) 1200 gram all rubber boot I got when on sale. They do stink right out of the box so not recommended for hunting. I tried on the 2000 grams and they were a bit heavy and way too hot for anything other than stationary fishing for me.

I'll let you know at the end of the season if these were a good pair or If I should of gone back to Lacrosse.

JIGGIN.

Offline minnowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waiting for the big behuba
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:26 AM »
I have the muck artic.  Pretty warm and dry but not that comfortable.  I usually only wear them when my lacrosse packs are damp.
when hell freezes over, I'll be icefishing there too!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I swear by sorrel's for the har water, I do have mucks for hunting and i definately want to get some lacrosse aswell
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 04:14 PM »
last yr. was my first yr. with my lacrosse alpha 1500's, and i was happy with them. i got them because sometimes your into the slush up past your ankles,
and these kept you nice and dry.....except for sweat....lol....thats why i bought a boot and glove dryer for this yr.....i wold where them sat. and they still would be a
little damp for sunday...one thing about the boot dryer...do not use it in the living space of your house!!.......PHEW!!....stinks up the house, and gets the mrs. all
in a tizzy!..... ;D
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.