The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Derbys  (Read 4554 times)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Ice Derbys
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:13 PM »

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Ice Derbys
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Nice work NONYA, thanks.  As individual derbys approach, more info may be posted on the site thread, but only if they are 100% charity and pre-approved by Admin or an Iceshanty Moderator. Thick ice, tight lines.  Don  :tipup:
                                                          LT Iceshanty National Moderator  :tipup:

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:06 PM »
I think this was the proposed derbies list...

THERE IS NO PERCHASSAULT ON LAKE FRANCES ON JAN 7TH...

Also, the fee listed on FWP's website is incorrect...Perch Assault entries are always PER TEAM, not per person...so its $75 and $150 per team, respectively, for Middle Thompson and LMR.

Sorry for the confusion, hopefully I can get FWP to correct thier website...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Mike.  I look forward to participating in one of your events this year.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2011, 02:15 PM »
FIXED.You might want to contact the Montana Outdoor radio show as well,that list was the approved derby list they released.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I know...its everywhere... :o  but since I at least havent had anybody try to enter it yet, I think we're ok.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Also, isn't East Fork $35 and not $40?

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I think its $35 and $10 for the big perch pot.

Offline tlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:33 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the ice cooperates for us this year - pretty slow to form in north-central montana. 

Offline da Norwegian

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Kick a$$ NONYA...thanks for the info...got the calendar updated and rods standing by...now I just have to break open the piggy bank..

Offline speedyset

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Have a friend that wants me to go to the Beaver Creek Tournament this year but don't see it on the list. Any info on that???? I know they didn't have it last year because of bad ice but whats the story this year.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2011, 07:46 PM »
its going to be on fresno this year i herd
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2011, 04:15 PM »
According to the chart, at $25 a head it doesn't sound like the Big Money format.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2011, 06:55 PM »
was thinking the same thing, don't care if I make money or not but if I'm going to travel that far for a tourney the oppertunity to win big would nice.

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Clinton phipps at peck on the 7th is cancelled. Just called

IceCreeper

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:27 PM »
Dont know why they scheduled so many for jan 28th,after willow cr and the perch derby whos going to show?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:51 PM »

THE MIDDLE THOMPSON EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO UPPER THOMPSON.   THE MIDDLE THOMPSON EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO UPPER THOMPSON.   THE MIDDLE THOMPSON EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO UPPER THOMPSON.   THE MIDDLE THOMPSON EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO UPPER THOMPSON.

IT WILL ONLY INCLUDE "UPPER" UPPER THOMPSON, WEST OF WHERE THE BRIDGE CROSSES THE LAKE ON RAINBOW LAKE ROAD.

TOURNAMENT HQ WILL BE RIGHT AT THE PULLOUT BEFORE THE BRIDGE.  THE ONLY OFFICIAL ENTRANCE AND EXIT TO THE LAKE WILL BE AT THAT LOCATION.

EVERYTHING ELSE REMAINS THE SAME...

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Interviewed Mike from McGregor Lake Lodge today...FWP had that derby listed as Feb 11th only...but it is indeed the 11th and 12th.

Always been a two day event and this year is no different.

The entry is now $15 because of the new law that takes a "per person fee" if using state facilities.  BUT, if you donate a significant part to a non profit, you get that waived.

So, the extra $5 is getting split between the Marion VFD and the Marion School district athletic fund.  The $10 still all go's back to the anglers, just like always.

Top 4 places for lake trout and top three for rainbows

So, now you know!

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:46 AM »
We are looking at fundraisers for our local FFA chapter golf tournaments seem to make some money from what I have heard and I had heard of one sponsoring an ice fishing tournament back east.  What would be the process to go through to make one of these happen?

IceCreeper

« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Ask the guys down at the bar,they put on the willow creek tourny every year.

Offline cleve10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:05 PM »
Wish I would have seen this sooner thanks for the info.

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:06 PM »
can u sign up the day of the mcgregor tourny?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:25 AM »

Posting Macmans latest report concerning MacGregor Lake derby this weekend...

Fishermen:
The much vaunted McGregor Lake Tournament is this up-coming weekend the 11th and 12th of February.  It will be a $15.00 entry with $10.00 of that going toward prize money and $5.00 going for Fish and
Game dept. fees and to support local community functions (Fire Department, etc).  Last year there were 720 entrants which gave over $7000.00 in prize money. 
Because ice conditions are great and long range weather forecasts are good for those two days, I’m anticipating over 1,000 entrants this year.  I’ll be at the lodge Friday afternoon to discuss fishing techniques with arriving fishermen.  This last Saturday I fished McGregor to test our newest creations which are a ¾ and 1 oz. variation of the Glo Grub.  It features a compact head with a short hook finished with either a grub body and a crystal flash tail or a Lil’ Hustler glo tube bait.  I fish this below a fly and bait both the fly and jig with green cut bait soaked in shrimp oil.  The dozen lakers I picked up are typical of a day on McGregor (see picture). 
If you feel a very light bite with no success hooking a fish, instead of a hard hook set which is necessary for Lake Trout, try just reeling slowly in and you’ll probably  bring up what I did.  We’ve brought crayfish up from as deep as 205 feet. 
If you’ll follow these instructions even if you don’t get in the money you should have a good day fishing. 
1.       Start out shallow in depths of 60 to 100 feet.  If the fishing slows go deeper, a 100 to 200 foot depth. 
2.       Fish within a couple of inches of the bottom with most of the time jigging slowly intermittent with holding your pole stationary. 
3.       Change your bait often.  After every fish or every 15 minutes
4.       Use only a small triangle of neatly trimmed bait.
5.       Move often.  I move after 15 minutes to a half hour without a strike.  Lake trout are territorial so a pro-active fisherman will catch more than a passive fisherman. 
6.       A fish finder along with a Bathymetric map are excellent tools for determining  which structure and depths hold fish.  At the bottom of a steep drop will generally hold the most fish.  The fish are most scattered in long flat areas.  Fish feeding on shrimp will be deep.  Fish feeding on minnows will be shallow.
March 16th will kick off the “Spring Mack Days Contest” on Flathead Lake.  For more current information call us at 406-675-0068 or my personal cell number is 406-250-0241.  Email us at:  [email protected]  if you’d like to be on our fishing report email list we’ll be glad to include you.  Check out our product line at: www.zimmertackle.com
Good Fishing,
The Macman

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:25 AM »
can u sign up the day of the mcgregor tourny?

YES

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:57 AM »
I know that Mcgregor is a big derby this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone was fishing the Duck Lake Derby this weekend?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Snappy Sport Senter Fun Derby at Lake Mary Ronan tomorrow!  You can sign up at Snappys or Ronan Sports and Western today, or at the Lodge right up until tomorrow.

TONS of prizes for the kids, and several categories for biggest perch and kokanee for adults, ladies, old timers...

The perch fishing has been pretty solid and you get to see where some of the best Perch Assault anglers fish, if you are paying attention!!!

You must be in the weigh in line by 2:00PM and you can start fishing at 3:00AM Saturday morning. (Lake is closed to angling from midnight to 3:00AM daily)

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Snappy Sport Senter Fun Derby at Lake Mary Ronan tomorrow!  You can sign up at Snappys or Ronan Sports and Western today, or at the Lodge right up until tomorrow.

TONS of prizes for the kids, and several categories for biggest perch and kokanee for adults, ladies, old timers...

The perch fishing has been pretty solid and you get to see where some of the best Perch Assault anglers fish, if you are paying attention!!!

You must be in the weigh in line by 2:00PM and you can start fishing at 3:00AM Saturday morning. (Lake is closed to angling from midnight to 3:00AM daily)
To bad its not the weekend before the PA like last year the kids had a great time last year.

Offline Batanga

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Overheard someone say that the bitterroot bash has been canceled due to thin ice at the south boat ramp.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Overheard someone say that the bitterroot bash has been canceled due to thin ice at the south boat ramp.  Does anyone know if this is true?

I am talking to Gene tonight for my radio show...I will let you know

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.