The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: need advice on puchasing 1st fish locator  (Read 1516 times)

Offline randypape

• IceShanty Rookie
need advice on puchasing 1st fish locator
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:54 PM »
hello, i bit the bullet and bought a power auger, ice shanty and accessories last year and am thinking about getting a fishlocator. i don't mind spending a fair amount of money but there's so many to choose from and i believe word of mouth is the best reference. thanks Randy

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
Re: need advice on puchasing 1st fish locator
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Opening a can of worms here. Use the search option for your question. You will get 100 of opinions im sure. GL with your decision.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Welcome to the site Randy...you're in the right spot if you want to know everything there is to know about ice fishing. My bit of advice is to check the boards that deal with your specific questions...and locators is probably the biggest area of debate/advice/expertice there is on this site. So I would suggest going here first and read all you can and then if there is something in there you haven't found...then ask...good luck!

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=32.0
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:14 PM »
The only way to go is to buy a MarVex67Bird  ;D :o
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:21 PM »

THEY MAKE ONE OF THOSE!!!  :o..................... ...... :roflmao:

Hey CP ?...How's the war goin' ? (rehtorical question)...Get on home!

Sorry...back to topic.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Welcome Randy, Good luck in your search for a Sonar. I would only recommend you take the time to see as many, as you have time for, in action and not just the units "Demo Mode". Keeping an open mind while gathering data, if that's possible. Makes it easier to choose what fits. Good luck.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:43 PM »
They are all good. You need to choose which features fit your fishing style. Personally i am a marcum fan because of the adjustable zoom anywhere in the water column. That may not be important to you. Different strokes for different folks!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:14 AM »
THEY MAKE ONE OF THOSE!!!  :o..................... ...... :roflmao:

You can get one the same place I got my "combination AK 57 oozie radar laser triple-barrel double-scoped heat-seekin shotgun". ;D

I'll agree they are all pretty good, each with unique feature that endear them to their owners. I started cheap with an old open water flasher (better than nothing) and graduated to a Vexilar. I have since upgraded to a Lowrance x67 and then the M68. The M68 doubles as bow mount boat unit, has an "ice" mode with an LED representation of a flasher dial as well as a graph, lots of features and light weight. Yup, the GPS in the M68 should have been what I bought instead of the x67.

If you're not in a rush see if you can find some guys to fish with that own any of the units you are considering. You can get some first hand feedback and see 'em in action.... Good luck!

/mike

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Ya like everyon else said do your home work and buy what best suits you. All you will get in real answers on here is ever opinion you can think of.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Welcome Randy, "IMO" you don't have to spend a lot of $$$ to a good locator. I got a Vexilar FL8 it dose a good for me, I really don't need all the bells and whistles. After all none of them no matter what they cost will make the fish bite.
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I got a Vex and I love the simplicity and the history behind the company.  Other brands are all good.  I would look for the zoom features and bottom view.  Two things I wish I had. 

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I have a vex 8 and it works well, I picked up a Marcum Troller and it is ok but I still like a flasher better than a LCD.   I would by a Marcum Lx-3 or Lx-5 and if money was not an object an LX-7

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:17 PM »
bird 385 has pretty much all you need for under 400, also the lighted led screen is awesome in the dark. adjustable everything. also update friendly. not sure on the 35-45-55, but heard they are nice with the larger flasher screen.

vex's are very nice because they are very simple to use. and been around forever, cant go wrong with this one. little pricey tho for the fancier packages.

marcums are another great new flasher. lx 3-lx5 probably the best out there right now. pretty much the same as the vex's and good interferance adjustments.

like others said. you really need to go with some buddies who have some and try them out. its the only way to really know which is right for you.

i wouldnt fish w/o one ^^  good luck

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:57 AM »
I've tried them all, Vex FL-18, Marcum x-3, and I currently have a Bird Ice-55...  They all worked very well for their intended purpose.  Some will tell you brand A is better than brand B, but you need to go to the sporting goods store and play with all three and see what you like best.  Regardless of which you buy, it'll help you put a lot more fish on the ice...  that's a fact!  Good luck, it's a tough decision as the damn things aren't cheap.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2011, 03:54 PM »
I liked the LX3 I had. Zoom anywhere in the water column, Interference Rejection just overall a good flasher. Marcum is the way to go if you want to spend 300 bucks the VX1 Pro has bottom zoom unlike the similar price vexilar fl8. They all have their pro and cons I just got a Marcum first and love it.

Offline Blitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I will be using my HDS5 out on the ice this year.

Offline gillgetter11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:55 PM »
lots of deals on birds n marcum's online. gander mountain had money back, and birds have diff rebates depending which you buy. i have a fl-12 and like the flat screen but vx-1's look good for the same price as a fl-8..

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Showdown Ice Troller is only $169 at Fleet Farm and Fleetfarm.com right now.

Offline THRILLBILLY608

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rip some lips
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:04 PM »
first one i purchased was a hummingbird ice 35 it was pretty nice then i upgraded to a hummingbird lcd screen dam nice machine i got buddys that got vex and showdowns and we all have no problem finding fish if i were to get another one i would pry try a marcum or a lowrance good luck man either way you go you will prolly be happy
heres to the heat not the type that heats our shacks and shantys but the type that burns off bras and panties

Offline randypape

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:31 PM »
thanks for the replies guy's. i just got started taking the step-son and grandson and Daughter ice fishing. I'm a gadget kinda guy who likes the electronic stuff and bells and whistles. But i do live by a philosify that things don't have to be pretty just effective. With that said i will probably settle for something in the middle of the road. looks like i have my work cut out for me finding one soon. :-)

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:37 PM »

Thats What I got!!!!! Its the best hands down!!!!!! ;D :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.