Author Topic: Ice fishing suits  (Read 1330 times)

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Ice fishing suits
« on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Hey there everyone. I know your getting just as excited as I. Won't be long. I have a question I hope you'll give me some advise on. Are those Ice fishing suits that run about $269+ worth it and what kinds are out there? I've only seen ones from Clam. I remember seeing guys with red ones or are those the same just different color choices now? Any help would be appreciated. I use a Shappell sometimes out so I'm just wondering if spending the money is a wise choice.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Ice fishing suits
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:27 AM »
Get arctic armour. It floats. its lightweight, and its the warmest thing I've ever worn!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:25 PM »
I have the ice armor extreme suit. My buddy has the arctic armor. His floats, mine doesnt. His rips if you look at it funny, mine doesnt. Mine is wayyyyyyyy warmer.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:31 PM »
where do you buy one?  Now I'm confused which one to get. I've never fell in more than my legs. I think I'd rather be warmer than worry about falling in.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I like my Ice armor better but I suggest you try them both. They are both great products and both have a loyal following. I got my IA suit at KTP in the spring for only like 125 bucks! My buddy gt his AA at AJ'S in Merideth.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:31 PM »
I have the ice armor blue suit and love it. its not as warm as the gray suit but I always wear a sweat shirt under it anyways for in the shack.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:27 PM »
Picked up the Frabill FXE Snosuit at the end of last season. Haven't used it yet, but have read other threads here on the site and heard good things.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I have always got by with carhartt winter lined overalls and a arbor wear double thick sweatshirt with multiple layers under it to match the forecast!  I guess if you are one of they guys that takes chances on the ice it would be a good idea to go with the floating suits.......I'll stick with the tried and true carhartt!  90 bucks for the overalls (last about 5 seasons) and 70 bucks for the seatshirt (lasts for 3 seasons).
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:48 PM »
bought the frabill ice suit last year from glen's got it on sale for 249 marked down fromm 399, i'd wait for a bit, their prices will come down. anyway, this suit is excellent, rugged and warm with all the right pockets. the bibs are beefy but still have ease of movement. beleive me, well woth the money, i'll have it forever

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:53 PM »
bought the frabill ice suit last year from glen's got it on sale for 249 marked down fromm 399, i'd wait for a bit, their prices will come down. anyway, this suit is excellent, rugged and warm with all the right pockets. the bibs are beefy but still have ease of movement. beleive me, well woth the money, i'll have it forever

Got mine at Wildlife over in Manchester. Both the Bibs and the Jacket were priced at $250 each for a total of $500- for the whole suit... I wasnt going to pay that... At the end of last season they had 2 left and they marked down Both the Bibs and Jacket down to $150- each... Ended up getting the whole suit for $300- :)

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Got mine at Wildlife over in Manchester. Both the Bibs and the Jacket were priced at $250 each for a total of $500- for the whole suit... I wasnt goind to pay that... At the end of last season they had 2 left and they marked down Both the Bibs and Jacket down to $150- each... Ended up getting the whole suit for $300- :)
you got the upgraded version of mine, last year i found myself only wearing the bibs in the harshest conditions, the coat kept me warm enough i could headout to the house with just pants. glens got me the suit in 4 days from point of purchase. most site have your suit listed at 299

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:14 PM »
you got the upgraded version of mine, last year i found myself only wearing the bibs in the harshest conditions, the coat kept me warm enough i could headout to the house with just pants. glens got me the suit in 4 days from point of purchase. most site have your suit listed at 299

You had me curious about the price...I've seen them marked all different prices. I got the FXE Sno-Suit. The Frabill site has them listed now at $329 for the Bibs and $329 for the Jacket! :o  I got the entire suit for $300 ;D

I got the coat/bibs in the top right corner
http://frabill.com/clothing.html?SID=r9ktca9nh7evpo6f2smkn2ith3

They still have one FXE Sno-suit left over at Wildlife as of this past Tues, marked at $150 for each piece!  size was (L) I think.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:14 AM »
  I guess if you are one of they guys that takes chances on the ice it would be a good idea to go with the floating suits.......

Hi Jim, We all take our chances every time we're out on the ice.  People jig for smelt for bait on some of the bigger lakes like Newfound and Squam.
I hate when they move their smelt shacks day before a early morning snow storm.  Those 3 foot x 5 foot holes fill with snow pretty quick.  NOT a fun experience when you find one.  Why I always wear a life vest..   ;D
I've been looking at the Arctic Armor suits for the family, but the fact that they tear easy makes me concerned.  My wife's friend is a seamstress with a professional sewing machine at their house.  I have to look at either buy materials and making our own suits from scratch, or adding a better nylon shell to the Artic Armor.  At the very least, I'd like to get a hold of a Fish-n-Game jacket, minus the CO patches.  They are wicked warm and act as floatation.

NB

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Hi Jim, We all take our chances every time we're out on the ice.  People jig for smelt for bait on some of the bigger lakes like Newfound and Squam.
I hate when they move their smelt shacks day before a early morning snow storm.  Those 3 foot x 5 foot holes fill with snow pretty quick.  NOT a fun experience when you find one.  Why I always wear a life vest..   ;D
I've been looking at the Arctic Armor suits for the family, but the fact that they tear easy makes me concerned.  My wife's friend is a seamstress with a professional sewing machine at their house.  I have to look at either buy materials and making our own suits from scratch, or adding a better nylon shell to the Artic Armor.  At the very least, I'd like to get a hold of a Fish-n-Game jacket, minus the CO patches.  They are wicked warm and act as floatation.

NB

Noewfound,
You are right.....I thought about it after I posted it......WE ALL TAKE CHANCES ON ICE!  What I meant is some take more risk than others and would be well suited to purchase the floating suits.  I've seen guys on local ponds here walking around on 3 inches of ice standing over 10 - 15 feet of water.  Those are the guys I'm talking about.  I never go out unless I'm on 6 inches of clear iceand don't count white ice when measuring.  I play it safe and therefore carharrt cold weather gear works for me in my mind for risk management. 

Didn't realize the arctic floating suits tore that easy.......has to be a solution though!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:48 AM »
Noewfound,
You are right.....I thought about it after I posted it......WE ALL TAKE CHANCES ON ICE!  What I meant is some take more risk than others and would be well suited to purchase the floating suits.  I've seen guys on local ponds here walking around on 3 inches of ice standing over 10 - 15 feet of water.  Those are the guys I'm talking about.  I never go out unless I'm on 6 inches of clear iceand don't count white ice when measuring.  I play it safe and therefore carharrt cold weather gear works for me in my mind for risk management. 

Didn't realize the arctic floating suits tore that easy.......has to be a solution though!

Jim, please wear a vest under that carhart.  I walked around for years without em..  "I'm on 2 feet of ice, why would I need one?"  I found a smelt hole off Belmont Beach on Winnisquam, and my wife and I witnessed a guy go through 2' of ice on Newfound near the boat launch after he found a smelt hole drilling for cusk lines.  I then got on the radio Newfound channel 5.5..  A couple of Newfound Circus members I know were blaming the guy that went through."He should have been walking around with a chisel first"(who does that with 2feet of ice?). Following year, the same guy that was on the radio, went through on Newfound..  Totally changed his attitude on the subject.  Lucky he and his ATV got out on a day that was below 0.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2011, 09:01 AM »
You had me curious about the price...I've seen them marked all different prices. I got the FXE Sno-Suit. The Frabill site has them listed now at $329 for the Bibs and $329 for the Jacket! :o  I got the entire suit for $300 ;D

I got the coat/bibs in the top right corner
http://frabill.com/clothing.html?SID=r9ktca9nh7evpo6f2smkn2ith3

They still have one FXE Sno-suit left over at Wildlife as of this past Tues, marked at $150 for each piece!  size was (L) I think.
that is a nice score, i'm sure you're dying to try it.you won't need a portable shack with that suit on

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I have the ice armor extreme suit. My buddy has the arctic armor. His floats, mine doesnt. His rips if you look at it funny, mine doesnt. Mine is wayyyyyyyy warmer.
i totally agree .i own artic armor and it is not at all durable!!!!!

Offline chilitokid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 11:43 AM »
I own the Arctic Armor suit also. I bought it at the Rockingham Outdoor show which is coming up in early January. I used to get all bundled up to go fishing but now its a T-shirt, shorts, and my suit......and it doesn't matter how cold it is outside because these suits are fantastic and are highly recommended. I got a good price at the show last year and got gloves and mittens thrown in for free. You can also get them through the website as the company does run sales from time to time. I'm not going to argue with anybody about which suit is better but I know that if I go through the ice in over 60 feet of water I have the best possible chance of getting out and that alone is enough.

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Icearmour gray and black suit.  It's like wearing an ice shelter only lighter:)
Remember.  Where ever you go, there you are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.