Author Topic: Eskimo Break In Time!  (Read 1584 times)

Brentster7189

Eskimo Break In Time!
« on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I just got my Z71 today.  I want to make sure and break it in right.  I'm reading on it, but it looks like people are recommending Amsoil Sabre, or Opti-2 oil?  Any suggestions on break in, and oil?  I haven't really done any serious searching for oil, not sure the best place to look around Eagle or Middleton...Caldwell, Nampa.  Anyone give me some spots?  I'm in on the ethanol free gas though, looks like a place in Eagle carries it.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Break In Time!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:41 PM »
I recomend any good synthetic 2 cycle oil . I use the same gas in my chain saw as I do in my auger . I use Pennzoil . I don't think there is a break in period . Unless you call drilling thin ice at the first of the season and thicker ice as winter progress . Be safe , last year I watched  a guy get his insulated coverals caught in his auger . It stopped the auger and spun the handle out of his hands and almost broke his arm . Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline JigginInID

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2011, 12:24 AM »
Congrats on the new auger. I'm sure you've found plenty of threads on recommended oils. I agree with Curt, use any quality 2 cycle engine oil or go with the mfg. recommendation. I would also suggest using a fuel stabilizer such as Star tron.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:00 AM »
Congrats Brentster7189 on the new Z71.
The introduction to proper break-in is in reply #958.
The break-in procedure by Rebelss is in reply #959
Here is the link to the page, scroll down to those replies, read and print.
             http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.940

Here is the rest of the story: Amsoil has engineers, chemist and all that goes into developing the best lubricants. They have never compromised quality for price and that all began way back in 1972.
I have used only Amsoil since the early 1980s, I will not use cheaper products because they just are not cost effective due to down time, break-downs, and wear related issues.
  So, you mentioned Amsoil Sabre ~ good choice. Now to find it in your area. Put in your zip-code in the proper place at the following link for a list of outlets.  Best call them first.    Good luck and happy augering.
              http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I think your going to like that Eskimo.......

Brentster7189

« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Congrats Brentster7189 on the new Z71.
The introduction to proper break-in is in reply #958.
The break-in procedure by Rebelss is in reply #959
Here is the link to the page, scroll down to those replies, read and print.
             http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.940

Here is the rest of the story: Amsoil has engineers, chemist and all that goes into developing the best lubricants. They have never compromised quality for price and that all began way back in 1972.
I have used only Amsoil since the early 1980s, I will not use cheaper products because they just are not cost effective due to down time, break-downs, and wear related issues.
  So, you mentioned Amsoil Sabre ~ good choice. Now to find it in your area. Put in your zip-code in the proper place at the following link for a list of outlets.  Best call them first.    Good luck and happy augering.
              http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx

So these are people that are selling this oil...can't just buy it at a store?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:32 PM »
So these are people that are selling this oil...can't just buy it at a store?
Sure ya can, I'm just tryin' to save ya some fuel money by you callin' around to find it. You might just call all the auto parts stores and ask if they stock any AMSOIL, then ask for 2cycle Sabre.
Any store that has a "Retail on the Shelf" account with Amsoil can get it, if they don't have it.
I've found Amsoil in the white pages and yellow pages of most phone books, also.
Keep us posted, as there are other ways to get it without me driving hundreds of miles for delivery, ha. 

Brentster7189

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:42 PM »
What about the Eskimo Viper 2-Stroke oil.  That's probably a specialty item, I didn't see it at Cabelas, and I forgot to look at Sportsmans.  Has anyone seen it around the Treasure Valley?

Thanks for the reply IdahoGater.  I just wanted to make sure I was reading the site right when I was looking...you know, cause everyone is so used to "retail".

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:12 PM »
What about the Eskimo Viper 2-Stroke oil.

I will not use cheaper products because they just are not cost effective due to down time, break-downs, and wear related issues.

Now that you know the truth, you're free to make a  choice of using something other than the best ~ It's not what you pay, it's what it costs you in the end.
Don't forget, you may also order Sabre  from Amsoil toll free at 1-800-777-7094.   Your customer # is 314199.
To be cost effective, I suggest at least the one quart size. That'll keep you ready for up to 24 gallons of mix over many years.

Brentster7189

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Ordered some.  Thanks Tom, can't wait to try it out and finally get my auger fired up.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:57 PM »
Sounds like you took the right track to success, good luck. You should be close to the time of decent ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.