Author Topic: Pack Baskets  (Read 7662 times)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pack Baskets
« on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Does anyone know where one can find a good quality pack basket. I have been looking for a while now and they all seem  pretty cheap and massed produced. I got one about 25 years ago and and love it but time has taken its toll on her. I had it rebuilt 4 years ago but more extensive repairs are needed and the cost to get it fixed was about $150 and it wont be the same basket when finished So if anyone here got some contacts please let me know. I am a firm beliver for that maine craftmanship and handmade quality

thanks

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pack Baskets
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:11 AM »
Our pack baskets are made in Maine out of 1/2" stripes of white ash by a man named Lee Merrill. I haven't had one come back yet.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:13 AM »
Danny won a Loring Pack basket 2 yrs ago at the Fish for a Cure derby, and that thing is awesome. Built way better then the wood ones in my opinion. Worth checking out.
http://loringpackbasket.com/index.shtml

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:34 AM »
"Home on the grange" in Lee  sell's home made pack baskets..  Hand made from ash,  Guy is 90 years old and has been making them for 60 years I think..   The larges run about 150.00 ea, well worth it..   They are too good for me I would be afraid of crushing it somehow.. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline aziscohosaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Danny won a Loring Pack basket 2 yrs ago at the Fish for a Cure derby, and that thing is awesome. Built way better then the wood ones in my opinion. Worth checking out.
Great basket will last a life time and then some.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2011, 01:49 PM »
I had to stop using fragile equipment like nice pack baskets cause I stove em all to h##l. My equipment needs to be rugged. :whistle:
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:14 PM »
  I picked up a Loring pack last year. This basket is built tough & has a lifetime warranty.  :tipup:

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:36 PM »
If you want one to use, get a Loring Basket, if you want one to look at, go with an Ash basket !

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Loring x 5, love mine. Johnsons Sporting Goods Congress St.

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Duluth pack makes some AMAZING pack baskets. top notch quality. lifetime warranty. Made out of wood. a little pricey, but i wouldnt hesitate. do yourself a favor and check them out. http://duluthpack.com/
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I have an old Beans Pack basket that I got in my twenties and I haven't seen one like it anywhere these day, and it is still going strong. I also have a Jack Trap one and it is not half the basket my Beans one is and cost a whole lot more. Both baskets are made out of narrow stripes of white ash.

If I had to buy a new one, I saw great looking baskets at Dags, they look to be made very similar to my Beans Basket.

I believe the key to a well made basket is the narrow strips, vs the wide strips, the narrow strips give it strength and durability. Good Luck in your search.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:42 PM »
got a nice one a few years back right at dicks  price was good and quality was fantastic  still going strong!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Don't buy one from Cabelas, they are junk.

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:04 PM »
My dad's been using the same baskets he bought at Laverdieres 20 years ago. I think he paid $25 a piece for them.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:59 AM »
I always put about 6 coats of polyurethane on my new ash packbaskets, inside and out. It really stiffens them up and they last well. Mine were used for beaver trapping, which is quite hard on packbaskets due to carrying heavy beaver, axes, skimmers, etc.

Do any of you have the packbaskets made out of tough plastic (Poly) 1/2" strips? They sell them at Maine sportsman's shows. Seem pretty tough and hard to break

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:09 AM »
I always put about 6 coats of polyurethane on my new ash packbaskets, inside and out. It really stiffens them up and they last well. Mine were used for beaver trapping, which is quite hard on packbaskets due to carrying heavy beaver, axes, skimmers, etc.

Do any of you have the packbaskets made out of tough plastic (Poly) 1/2" strips? They sell them at Maine sportsman's shows. Seem pretty tough and hard to break

The plastic ones are the loring baskets link is above has one made just fur trapping

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:52 AM »
  Jack traps has a taller basket at the store. It's one that he had Loring make just for them. It's nice if your using the taller style of traps. :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I need the liner that has the top is all
PS I cant sew
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:13 AM »
The plastic ones are the loring baskets link is above has one made just fur trapping

Thanks, FishingSurveyor -- those Lorings are excellent, tough packbaskets.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:14 AM »
I need the liner that has the top is all
PS I cant sew

I picked up my liner at Ben's.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline VENT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:25 AM »
  I picked up a Loring pack last year. This basket is built tough & has a lifetime warranty.  :tipup:
http://vimeo.com/10117976 check out this loring demo from "flip outdoors"

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:09 AM »
x2

Offline Boomauger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:19 AM »
x2

Are the Loring baskets sold in any stores in Maine or do you have to order direct?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:21 AM »
Are the Loring baskets sold in any stores in Maine or do you have to order direct?

Indie says Johnson Sporting Goods Portland has them I think Indian Hill might have them too but I would call prior

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:43 AM »
If I used a basket, which I dont, it would be a Loring.

Theres one kicking around in the attic made from woven aluminum banding strips, which I think was made at Tommmy Town or Windham prison if I recall. Thing will outlive me for sure!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Boomauger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Does anyone use a liner in thier loring pack basket?  I like the idea to keep the traps from banging around.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Does anyone use a liner in thier loring pack basket?  I like the idea to keep the traps from banging around.

DenMar Sports out of Bangor makes inside liners as well if you choose to go another basket rout other than a Loring.  They are good to keep the weather out if you fish cross style traps.  If you fish ladder style they also make an outside pack sleeve which I prefer.  Holds them nicely and leaves room in the packbasket for other things.  Here's a not so great pic but I think you can get the idea:

Offline Boomauger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:26 AM »
DenMar Sports out of Bangor makes inside liners as well if you choose to go another basket rout other than a Loring.  They are good to keep the weather out if you fish cross style traps.  If you fish ladder style they also make an outside pack sleeve which I prefer.  Holds them nicely and leaves room in the packbasket for other things.  Here's a not so great pic but I think you can get the idea:

Thanks for the info.  Looks like they make a 'Large'.  Any eason these wont fit the Loring basket?

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Looks like they make a 'Large'.  Any eason these wont fit the Loring basket?

Don't see why not. :tipup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:52 AM »
On the left is my pack basket I bought about 8 years ago from Reny's, got the liner at Beans.  The one on the left is my wife's she got last year from Wayne Loring, its a tall one with the liner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.