Author Topic: Heating an Ice shack  (Read 8595 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heating an Ice shack
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Check out Fish House Supply http://www.fishhousesupply.com/ they have several options for heating.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Check out Fish House Supply http://www.fishhousesupply.com/ they have several options for heating.

That's a great site.  I'm glad I didn't know about it during my last shack build -- I would have gone broke buying all the gadgets. 

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:52 PM »

Nice link, Thanks

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:53 AM »
I used an old 30 gallon compressor tank and stood it up to save on space makes a great cook top and it is verry efficient!

This does work very good, NOW where is mine ?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:00 AM »
small wood stove... hands down the greatest way to heat the shack...  just the atmosphere it creates makes for an great addition to the overall experience of being out on the lake in the shack!!

Offline shoeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:33 PM »
for both of my shanties i use small woodstoves and burn cut up pallets all winter you can't beat it for warmth and price!pallets are free.just have to cut them up.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:58 PM »
The problem with pallets is that are often times made out of pine and the pine sap when burned creates creosote which collects in the chimney and that can catch fire.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline shoeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:09 PM »
one time in 25 years i had a problem with it and it was as you say a creosote buildup.the stove wouln't draft and upon inspection i found it completely closed up tight.after that we learned 2 keep an eye on it and have never had another problem.have tried propane and wouln't use it unless absolutely had 2.lets hope we have 2 use one or the other SOON!!!!!

Offline fishingwithkids

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pop your magic twanger froggy........
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:22 AM »
woodstove is the way we heat ours. Cheap easy and good heat. I made mine out of a propane tank and a pancake compressor tank for the ashpan. it has a brake rotor welded to the top for a hotplate.

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:39 PM »
A wood stove is worth sacrificing a little space.  ;D

Well quoted Skunkboy  ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:42 PM »
The problem with pallets is that are often times made out of pine and the pine sap when burned creates creosote which collects in the chimney and that can catch fire.
some people up here figure a good chimney fire is the way to clean the chimney
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Have used a few different types of heat . But always go back to wood . Nothing like being on the ice at night and hearing the snap and crackle of a fire . I can sit there for hours and just watch the flame .
Keeps me warm - can cook on it - and there's always a pot of coffee on .
 I know it's a little extra work but I feel it just adds to the whole experience !
---- Joe ----

Offline wyofly99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Buddy Heater for me.... ;D

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Have used a few different types of heat . But always go back to wood . Nothing like being on the ice at night and hearing the snap and crackle of a fire . I can sit there for hours and just watch the flame .
Keeps me warm - can cook on it - and there's always a pot of coffee on .
 I know it's a little extra work but I feel it just adds to the whole experience !
nicely stated!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.