Author Topic: My jig box is a cheap piece of crap. Need a new one. Advice wanted.  (Read 3900 times)

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
This is my 2nd year ice fishing. Last year I got a jig box for a gift, but it turned out to be pretty cheap (foam became brittle, hinges and clasp are not very well built).

So I am in need of a good jig box/case. I like the ones that contain foam, but after searching the intarnet, it came back with a gazillion responses.

Any tips on which ones are worth their bang for buck?

Thanks in advance.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Flambeau makes some nice boxes. I have 2 of the green ones with a removable insert. Fish307 carries them I believe
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have two of these and they are great.

http://www.rose-creek.com/polaricejigbox.html

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
Mid-season I bought those small double sided jig boxes and loved it. They have a nice rubber gasket seal and a sturdy locking clip, no more need to worry about bustin' those danty clips on the larger boxes. I plan on getting another (the larger model for spoons) before first ice. They are really handy slip right into your pocket! no more goin back to the tent and gettin' a diff jig.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have two of these and they are great.

http://www.rose-creek.com/polaricejigbox.html
I heard these are nice boxes.
Fish on!

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
I heard these are nice boxes.

Best Box on the market.......Ive been using them since they first came out....I can throw a jig box, have it skid across the ice to a buddy and not have my jigs come loose. Also wont wear out like the foam does!

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Rose Creek boxes are really nice. The only complaint I have is they don't hold my small 2 1/2mm tungsten jigs tightly enough.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
put them in so the hook point is pointing up.....belly off the jig is touching the box......

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
I have 3 scientific angler boxes and they work good plus water tight and floats.  You can get a lot jigs in them.  The pic shows one side of the box...so it a double sided box with two lids.

I just bought a bug luggage box from yourbobbersdown that holds 136 jigs and is same price as the rose creek boxes....they only hold 120.  The pic shows some size 10 jigs I just threw in it.  I put a 3mm fiskas in it but the jig needs to be secure with hook point down.  Very nice box as well...just not water tight nor floating.

]

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
I just purchased this years new model clam box... it is a bigger box, double sided clear holds alot of tackle... gl on your choice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Just hit the fly fishing section of your sporting goods store. I know the gadget clippy doohicky boxes are popular, but the foam interior fly boxes work best for me. IMO, it is just easier to stab tiny jigs into foam when you are in the dark with frozen fingers.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
Ahaaa, it's amazing what you can find on the web when using the right terms. I did not think to use "fly box" as a search term. When I did, I was able to locate a lot more than "jig box".

The tough part is deciding which ones. Thanks for all the responses so far.

ryno,
Which Scientific Angler box is that? I am really interested in those, and went to their site to learn more. They have a lot of different sizes, but they don't indicate box dimensions (e.g. length, width, thickness), just how many jigs they can hold (which is important too).

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like the Clam ice jig box, just wish it was bigger.

Waterproof and floats, one side has foam and latching tray sections on the other.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
I like to use those flat business type fridg magnets glued magnet side up inside of an altoids container. it is very cheap to make and you get fresh breath.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like to use those flat business type fridg magnets glued magnet side up inside of an altoids container. it is very cheap to make and you get fresh breath.

Hey, good idea!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
No kidding! I am cutting up a magnet with a picture of a bankruptcy attorney right now! Lawyers are good for something after all!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No kidding! I am cutting up a magnet with a picture of a bankruptcy attorney right now! Lawyers are good for something after all!

:clap: NICE!

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict

ryno,
Which Scientific Angler box is that? I am really interested in those, and went to their site to learn more. They have a lot of different sizes, but they don't indicate box dimensions (e.g. length, width, thickness), just how many jigs they can hold (which is important too).
Scientific Anglers(TM) Waterproof Fly Boxes, System X Waterproof Fly Box- Green

Design: Accommodates a wide variety of flies for general trout fishing

FLY SIZES 10,12,14,16,18,20 SIZE 6” x4” x1.5” (15cm x10cm x3.8cm) COLOR Clear Box/Standard Green insert FLY TYPES Dry Flies,Wet Flies,Midges,Nymph, Terrestrial Accommodates a wide variety of flies for general trout fishing Model Number: 857063 UPC: 051131857063
]

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
In the pic I posted their is almost a hundred fiskas....so you could have same number on other side....probably about 200 total jigs in one box.  Now that is pretty crowded so 150-175 would give ya more room or if placing larger jigs.  I use my hemostats to take em out and put back.
]

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
I really like the bug luggage the best. Have 2 of them and they are sweet. Hold the jigs better than another that I have. Cheers.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like my flambeau blue ribbon fly box. They also make a bright green one for "ice jigs" same box, different color. You can find them on the flambeau website.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Plano 1070; holds both micro jigs AND spoons
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
bug luggage gets my vote.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
bug luggage gets my vote.
Plus made in USA with a 20 year warrant!
]

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
I like my flambeau Blue ribbon swing leaf box.

Offline thumbbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
I use a hardside pistol case. Hook the hooks into the foam on one side and you're good to go. No bouncing around so your colors last longer.

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
I like my flambeau Blue ribbon swing leaf box.
X2

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have Plano's and just got the Clam one, so far only moved the clam box 10' since loading it and got a dozen jigs ratteling around, Planos have never been a problem with jigs coming loose....  Clam ones are identical to the Scientific Angler one posted earlier...

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have been using the Clam med and small for a couple years now.  Love them, in fact switched to using them with my summer flys too.  Bug Luggage is fantastic but harder to find around here.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline turbo5oh

• IceShanty Rookie
I have all 3 sizes of the clam ones. Can't honestly reccomend them . The med and large boxes both have issues with the foam coming un-glued. Given I do have them pretty full but its not like every little slot is full. While waiting for a response from clam corp I placed an order with rose creek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.