Author Topic: How to patch fabric on shelter?  (Read 28199 times)

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
How to patch fabric on shelter?
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:06 PM »
My clam guide has a small cut in the fabric and I need to patch it. I went to clam corp online and went to order a patch kit and pole spring clips but when I went to check out the cost for the parts I needed was $11.30 and the shipping was $10.89! No way I am paying 11 bucks shipping for 11 dollars worth of parts so I now need to know what else I can do to fix my shelter. I once read to use plain old fabric cut it into an oval shape and then apply it using shoe goop. Anybody confirm this or add new tips on fixing my cut? Thanks.

Paul

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How to patch fabric on shelter?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:12 PM »
My clam guide has a small cut in the fabric and I need to patch it. I went to clam corp online and went to order a patch kit and pole spring clips but when I went to check out the cost for the parts I needed was $11.30 and the shipping was $10.89! No way I am paying 11 bucks shipping for 11 dollars worth of parts so I now need to know what else I can do to fix my shelter. I once read to use plain old fabric cut it into an oval shape and then apply it using shoe goop. Anybody confirm this or add new tips on fixing my cut? Thanks.

Paul

A fabric store should have waterproof adhesive nylon patches. Cut to size and cover up your hole. Very cheap.

Offline FISH_IQ

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the fish won't know what hit 'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I patched my clam with a product called Bish's Tear Mender.  I bought some heavy cloth fabric and cut it larger than the hole and applied alot of the adhesive because when it dries it's like weather proofing and adhesive.  I basically soaked most of the patch, applied it, and let it dry for awhile making sure it had a good seal.  No smell to speak of, and it's held up.... going on two years.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:29 PM »
I've repaired a number of boat covers and fabric ice shacks. You an use almost any strong fabric, but I went to a camping supply store and found some tent canvas which is really made for the outdoors. I've applied it with fabric glue (Aileen's is a common brand at craft stores - Bish's is probably a variant) that is latex based making it flexible AND waterproof. I've also used a contact cement called Pliobond made by Goodyear. Very tough, flexible and waterproof but flammable when wet and nt as pretty when dry. Goop would probably work but would be a bit more bulky.

For either adhesive cut the patch to overlap by at least 1/2 inch al the way around. I place the patch dry and mark the boundaries. Coat both the area surrounding the tear and the patch with the adhesive. and let it dry to the touch. Apply a fresh coat on one of the sides (tear side or the patch), apply the patch. smooth and put some weight on it. Quick, easy and effective....

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:30 PM »
dunno if you want it to look nice or just be fixed for good.  but if you just want the quick fix, you cant beat duct tape.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:32 PM »
heat activated fabric tape and like fabrid then iron all three layers together.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:47 PM »
buy some shoe goo, sportsman's goo (all the same)... cut a patch out slightly larger than the tear/hole,  round the corners of the patch,  wipe around torn fabric with wet rag to remove dirt/dust... spread shoe goo on whole surface that will contact house and apply... press down on patch from inside and outside (may need the wife or kid to push from outside)... then let it sit for a day or 2 to set...
it's best to apply at temp above 50 deg F or so I believe... but it works great.  waterproof and flexible... have used it to patch multiple holes/tears and have never had a problem with it... good luck

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:46 AM »
I used an Iron on jeans patch, its held for at least 10 years.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Same her on the Jean patch, 14 years! and the color is a dead match for the old Fishtrap.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:30 AM »
I second the duct tape, apply it on the inside and outside,and if you want it to look nice, get some fabric paint  to match your color and spray over it.  Duct tape worked well for me, I didn't paint mine, I really don't care if it looks nice and fancy as long as it keeps my girls and I warm, and keeps me fishing longer on cold days.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:44 AM »
I geuss needle and tip up line would do the trick. ::)
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:58 AM »
I had to patch my Frabill last year and used something called The Black Hole Patch. In reality it's a pre glued piece of sign material that you can probably get at a local sign shop without having to wait to get it in the mail. Put it on both sides and it holds great.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:07 AM »
I have read about this stuff and many swear by it. Cost about $12
"Bo-Nash Bonding Agent 007" Starter Kit- This is your secret weapon for fabric repair! Use with all fabrics, delicate silks and laces to heavyweight canvas and denim. Includes: 1 ounce bonding agent (enough for up to 100 repairs!) ; and one 9"x 12" non-stick ironing sheet.

I have also used duct tape many a time for a quick repair as was said tape it on the inside and out side.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Go to a fabric or tent and awning place they should be able to set you up with a patch. If it does not have adhesive Tear Mender is a good product, it is washable,waterproof,and stays flexible.
I called frabill for a couple replacement spring clips last winter. They sent me a bunch of them for free! Sorry had to rub it in a lil bit.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:54 AM »
Pick up some "Amazing GOOP Marine". The marine is UV resistant. Hold the back of the tear together with tape and glue the other side. When that dries take the tape of and glue that also. Will last for years. I repaired some small holes and tears in my shack fabric as well as my bibs. Has lasted for a couple years thus far. It is great stuff with a LOT of uses, I always keep it on hand.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Has  anyone ever replaced a zipper on a portable??  I have an Ice Cube shack but the zipper broke last year :-\ along with a pole snapping >:(
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:24 AM »
A marine canvas shop could fix that zippper.

Offline DIRTBALL2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Same her on the Jean patch, 14 years! and the color is a dead match for the old Fishtrap.

I have used this method also. To me this is the fastest and easiest way to patch up your fishouse. It help's to have another person on the inside of your fishouse holding a flat piece of board on the tear. Then you just apply a hot iron to the patch on the outside. Work's for me! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)
YOU CAN'T BS AN OLD BS'ER!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:51 AM »
I have used this method also. To me this is the fastest and easiest way to patch up your fishouse. It help's to have another person on the inside of your fishouse holding a flat piece of board on the tear. Then you just apply a hot iron to the patch on the outside. Work's for me! ;DDIRTBALL2 ;)

That is exactly what the Bo Nash stuff is but it makes it so you can do that with any piece of material, apply the adhesive and then hot iron it on. They say it works better than the store bought iron on patches.

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I have a large rip right along the seam on my Clam pop-up. Right where the shack fabric rests on the ice and flares outside on the skirt edge. So I'm essentially joining 2 straight lines of fabric or 2 sheets together. Now don't laugh...but originally I was just gonna do Duct Tape since I'm not into fashion, just function. Well after seeing the minute long commercials for "Flex Seal" i figured I might have to try it. After all - a rubber water proof seal that is flexible and can be heated or cooled without damage sounds like the right way to fix it.

So I plan to duct tape and then flex seal over the area. It is quite a long tear, maybe 18" long or so. I will let you guys know how well it works and how easy it is to repair.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Save your money on the flex steel, I'm pretty sure all it is is the same thing as the spray cans of rubberized under coating you can buy at any parts store.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Pardon this, Gorilla Tape is forever. :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:54 PM »
One of our sponsors, Fish307 sells different patch kits for different shanties called tear aid.
Click on the link and scroll to the bottom.
http://www.fish307.com/icefishingtools.aspx
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Go to a sailing supply store.  They have the king of all duct tapes to repair tears in sails.  Lite and sticks like crazy. Can be used right away.

Offline fish56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but thought it was worth posting.
I also recently went to the Clam Corp site, wanting to buy a patch kit for my Fish Trap Pro. Turns out the patch kit was on sale. I ended up not buying it and emailing Clam.  Here is my email and their response. (and I don't believe their answer, as I had asked them about shipping charges back in February, got the same form letter type of response)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Please do something about your quoted shipping costs. I was going to order the blue patch kit that's on sale now for $6.99 and the UPS shipping came up to $12.12! That's ridiculous. Why can't a light weight item like a patch be put into an envelope and shipped USPS First Class? It would be under $2.00 to ship. A small customer relations thing like this would keep people coming back. Regards, Bill
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Clam Corporation. My name is Inge  and I would be happy to assist you.
We have heard from our customers about UPS shipping price.  We are looking to put into our website other options for shipping.  I apologize, but UPS is all that we offer at this time, however, Like I said early, we are looking at other options for our customer and hope to have them in by September. Thank you.

If you need further assistance or information, please feel free to reply back to this mail and I will be happy to assist you.

We appreciate your business and value you as a Clam Customer.

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2012, 05:10 PM »
At "Clam Corp" It is No longer about Customer Service, it is All about the Benjamin's !!

I had an issue with some 3 year old Frabill tip ups, the spool shaft had corroded on one of the 4 traps. I called Beth at Frabill Customer service and explained the problem. She mailed me 4 brand new complete spool and shaft assemblies for FREE !!! That is what I call Customer Service !!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2012, 07:36 PM »
i cut up an old pair of nylon gym pants and used fabric glue i also put a patch on each side of my hole been working perfect for going on 7 years

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jul 14, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Another variation on the iron on patch technique.   You can do the same thing with the material of your choice and any old hot melt glue gun.  If you like you can run a hot iron over the patch when finished to smooth out the glue bead if you used too much.  I've had very good results with this method on everything from torn camo pants to a slit in my pickups toneau cover.  The repairs have lasted for years, even through many trips through washing machine. ;D

Offline fish56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jul 14, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Great ideas, thanks. Yep, too bad Clam Corp can't understand a bit of common sense when it comes to customer relations. I've owned two of their shanties, maybe it's time to move on. Anyway, I ordered a tear-aid patch kit. Gonna give it a try.
Bill

Offline Big Slabs1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jul 20, 2012, 04:23 PM »
I have also used Tear Mender and it seems to be holding up well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.