Author Topic: 8' Strikemaster Mora  (Read 2777 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
8' Strikemaster Mora
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:34 AM »
I have arthritis in both shoulders and find using my 8" quite difficult. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a 6". It is only a year old and didn't get much use. How much should I ask for it ? I wish I could afford a gas auger, but that's out of the question right now. They refuse to pick my numbers in the lottery! ;D Any ideas? Thanks!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mongo782

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 8' Strikemaster Mora
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:03 PM »
You could maybe get 20 bucks, you might want to look at a 6" lazer. I think thye are around 70 or 80 Bucks but they are worth it . bought a 6" two years ago cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:56 PM »
You could maybe get 20 bucks, you might want to look at a 6" lazer. I think thye are around 70 or 80 Bucks but they are worth it . bought a 6" two years ago cuts like a hot knife through butter.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was told that a Nils was really great, but quite pricey!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I also had a 6in Lazer, great auger. Nils would be something different, never heard anything bad about them

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:16 PM »
i had a 6"mora for years,worked great when blades are sharp. wear you out if they dulled.bought an 8" mora last year and it was a b***h to drill with. i went out and bought a gasser.never used a laser though,hear great thing about them though!

Offline catfish_onthelake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2011, 12:01 PM »
I'm from Jersey but saw this thread and wanted to chime in. I have an 8-inch Mora and my friend has an 8-inch Lazer. We spend almost every trip on the ice together and drill the same amount of holes. He has an easier time drilling holes, but also has to replace his blades about twice as often as I do. Definitely something to take into consideration. If you're talking about ice over 12-inches though, forget the 8-inch Mora. I'm 33 and in great shape and I almost keeled over after drilling a couple holes with the Mora with brand new blades. I imagine the 6-inch Mora would be easier and the 6-inch Lazer better than that. Gas is still the way to go. Also keep in mind that Fish301 has a blade exchange that can save you a lot of coin if you're drilling a lot of holes. Back to NJ, hope everyone has a safe and pike-filled season. :tipup:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:04 PM »
i had a 6"mora for years,worked great when blades are sharp. wear you out if they dulled.bought an 8" Mora last year and it was a b***h to drill with. i went out and bought a gasser.never used a laser though,hear great thing about them though!

I've had an offer to trade mine for a 6" Mora. Don't know condition but its got to be waaaay better than my 8" on my shoulders. When I can afford it, if ever, I'm go to pick up a used gasser myself.. Then I'll probably go with 8" again! Seems like a good all around size for gas!! Thanks for the input!!  :icefish:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:04 PM »
A ice head from an Ohio forum (IFO) and I are going to trade. He has a like new 6" and mine is a like new 8". He travels through my area so were going to meet and trade!! ;D Thanks to all for your input!!  :clap: :icefish:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2011, 10:10 PM »
The 6" will be much easier to drill with, figuring the surface area an 8" hole is 50.25" and a 6" is 28.25 " using the basic math equation....oddly enough its almost half as much.....good luck !

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:46 PM »
The 6" will be much easier to drill with, figuring the surface area an 8" hole is 50.25" and a 6" is 28.25 " using the basic math equation....oddly enough its almost half as much.....good luck !

Thanks!! As I said, if and when I can, I'll get a gasser or a propaner if possible!! :icefish:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Thanks!! As I said, if and when I can, I'll get a gasser or a propaner if possible!! :icefish:

When it comes to that time to get a gasser....go with the Strikemaster Strike Lite.......4 stroke and around 23 lbs.....very lightweight and fast cutting...a little pricier that some of the other ones out there, but well worth it !

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:06 AM »
When it comes to that time to get a gasser....go with the Strikemaster Strike Lite.......4 stroke and around 23 lbs.....very lightweight and fast cutting...a little pricier that some of the other ones out there, but well worth it !
A little pricier ??? $540-$550 !! That IS pricey!! But at 23#'s and no mix??  By the time I'm ready to buy I hope more propane models are on the market, or that I could pick up a  Strike Lite II. Thanks for the input. Do you have one, or do you just like spending other people's money? :laugh: :icefish:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:18 PM »
A little pricier ??? $540-$550 !! That IS pricey!! But at 23#'s and no mix??  By the time I'm ready to buy I hope more propane models are on the market, or that I could pick up a  Strike Lite II. Thanks for the input. Do you have one, or do you just like spending other people's money? :laugh: :icefish:

I have used one, and have several friends that have them.....not saying that you have to buy one, just making a recommendation.....and no, I'm not sponsored by Strikemaster....

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I have used one, and have several friends that have them.....not saying that you have to buy one, just making a recommendation.....and no, I'm not sponsored by Strikemaster....
. I too have an 8" mora, I'm 38 in good shape and thought I was gonna die last year drilling holes!! The ice was thick and rough with the mora.. I just got a strike master strike lite used in great shape for 275 and I'm the happiest dude around except the fact there's no freaking ice in NY yet...

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Non here either, except in my ice cube tray. I joined on Ohio forum and have met several guys to fish with this winter. I'm still new to ice fishing this area, so it's nice to hook up with people that know the lakes. In fact, one of them is trading me his  6" Mora for my 8" Mora. He bought a gas auger and will keep mine for backup. Works for me!! At least until I can get onr of my own. The Strikemaster Strike Lite II sounds like one heck of a nice auger and at 23#'s it is easy to take along. I like it being a 4 stroke, no mixing gas and oil. Heard they are great on fuel consumption also. Quite pricey to say the least!! I'll look used when I'm ready to buy!! :icefish:

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Oldsailor, they now have attachment to hook an auger to your portable  drill. I don't have one but have seen them in action at Indian. They work good. It says that you should get 50-55 holes, I am sure it depends on size of your auger though. I saw one at Gander but I believe that it was for an Eskimo auger.

Offline janwil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:14 PM »
I used a 6" Mora for years then last year I switched to a 5" Niles for pan fish.  I will never use any thing else.  My buddy has a 8" Strike Master power auger and we don't even use it any more for pan fish unless the ice is 12" or more because of the gas smell, noise, weight & general hassle & because the Niles is so fast & effortless.

I'll trade you my 6" Mora for your 8" if it will help you.  I only used 2 times on the new blades before I got the Niles.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:20 AM »
I used a 6" Mora for years then last year I switched to a 5" Niles for pan fish.  I will never use any thing else.  My buddy has a 8" Strike Master power auger and we don't even use it any more for pan fish unless the ice is 12" or more because of the gas smell, noise, weight & general hassle & because the Niles is so fast & effortless.

I'll trade you my 6" Mora for your 8" if it will help you.  I only used 2 times on the new blades before I got the Niles.
Thanks, but I already have a trade worked out. (See reply #8.) I have heard nothing but good on the Nils hand augers. I'll trade you my 8" Mora for your Nils!!  :roflmao: Sorry, I couldn't resist ;D Where are you at, and where do you fish? :icefish:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Oldsailor, they now have attachment to hook an auger to your portable  drill. I don't have one but have seen them in action at Indian. They work good. It says that you should get 50-55 holes, I am sure it depends on size of your auger though. I saw one at Gander but I believe that it was for an Eskimo auger.

I've seen them online. I  have an old Black&Decker 12v, but that wouldn't work for that. I'm not going out and buy a new  high volt drill for that. I've seen a 36v li-ion Dewalt used. Had a lock-on adapter so the flight couln't drop down the hole!! For all of that money, I could get a Nils. ;D :icefish:

Offline janwil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Hey OldSailor; no dice on the Niles! I am retired and live in Rossford, Ohio and the places I fish hard water are too numerous to list but the most frequent places are:  East Harbor, Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie (when there is safe ice which is not often) Marinas between Oregon & Sandusky, Canals & Marinas in South East Michigan and some Irish Hills lakes.  How about you? 

Hope to cross paths with you on the ice this winter.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Hey OldSailor; no dice on the Niles! I am retired and live in Rossford, Ohio and the places I fish hard water are too numerous to list but the most frequent places are:  East Harbor, Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie (when there is safe ice which is not often) Marinas between Oregon & Sandusky, Canals & Marinas in South East Michigan and some Irish Hills lakes.  How about you? 

Hope to cross paths with you on the ice this winter.
I'm retired also and not much extra money. I fish Indian Lake and hope to try Kiser Lake als. I also belong to IceFishOhio and have met some guys from down here that know the area. One of them is going to swap augers with me. PM me if you ever get down here, otherwise the chances are slim to none on me getting up north!! No mon, no fun!! Good luck this year and thanks for the ping!! :icefish:

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2011, 12:16 PM »
I've been in the same situation.  I have an 8" Lazer that has served me very well, but I got tired after drilling a few holes.  It's a great auger, but I'm not a youngin' anymore.  I picked up a used 5" Mora a while back that has been a tremendous advantage to this gray ole beard., now approaching 60. With the 5"Mora, I can still drill 10-25 holes with being pooped out.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:07 PM »
it's nice to hook up with people that know the lakes. In fact, one of them is trading me his  6" Mora for my 8" Mora.

Good for you, problem solved.  A 6" is going to make it a whole lot easier. 

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Good for you, problem solved.  A 6" makes is going to make it a whole lot easier.

Going along with someone who has a gas auger will make it easier yet ;D I'll save the 6" for pond fishing right around here. We have NO prospect of ice for a loooong while yet!! >:(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.