Author Topic: Frabill or HT?  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frabill or HT?
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:27 AM »
I am up in the air about which to buy. I have the Gander First Ice round type ones right now, but I want to upgrade. I don't know if I want to go with the HT POLAR THERM EXTREME TIP-UP, or the Frabill PRO THERMAL INSULATED TIP-UP.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Frabill or HT?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:06 AM »
I have a set of the polars and have had no issue with them. I don't think you could go wrong either way after seeing both sets in action though...
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I have an ht polar therm extreme. I have never had any problems with it and it does works well.

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:49 AM »
ht are less expansive and will make the job done.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:57 AM »
I think I'm leaning towards the HT's. They look a little nicer.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I'v got a couple of the orange frabrill's. They are hard to beat. I looked at the HT, but they didn't look like they would stack nearly as nice has the Frabrill's in a 5 Gallon bucket. 

I don't think you can really go wrong either way.

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2011, 05:41 PM »
have the black Polar Frabills, great tip-up.  Server its purpose, easy to Summerize(reverse of winterize), and in case something bad happens they float cause of the foam.  Only downfall i see in them is the hard plastic flag.  That is just my opinion though.  I move around alot sometimes, so there has been times i really had to look at them to make sure a flag wasnt up. a few times i had a flag up but because the thin side had been too me i didnt know till a neighboring party told me that i've had a flag for the past 10 min.

Offline Quantrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waugh!! I have the hair of the BEAR in me!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:11 PM »
My vote is for HT Polar..best tipups I have ever used.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Offline pioneer MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2011, 08:33 PM »
HT's seem to have a little stronger shaft and are less likely to bend when trying to pull them through a skim of ice.

Offline Pikemaster1500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2011, 01:35 AM »
Beaver dam no other way to go

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:24 AM »
I love the Frabill classics and bigfoot, great sturdy tip-ups. I bought my first pro-thermal last year but dont use it much. The only HT equipment i buy are the rigger's

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:36 PM »
I love the Frabill classics and bigfoot, great sturdy tip-ups. I bought my first pro-thermal last year but dont use it much. The only HT equipment i buy are the rigger's
HT  = CHINA and no quality control ! I own a 3 Ht Predator traps- flags blew off the first season. Glad I got em cheap.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2011, 02:34 PM »
HT husky Brimbale........all wood really nice

best tip up i have ever used

just my 2cents
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2011, 02:42 AM »
Frabil polars on sale at bass pro 2 4 $30

Offline Pointer09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:42 PM »
The Frabill Pro Thermals were the first ones on the market and in my opinion nothing compares to the Frabill name, that alone should say enough.  If for some reason you ever have a problem with any Frabill gear, they have the absolute best Customer Service out there, love the company and their products.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:49 AM »
do yourself a favor. Go on e-bay and buy some beaver dam tip-ups during the off season. Simply the best money can buy.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:49 PM »
HT Polar Therm Extreme, the ones with the extendable flag and equipment storage on the top.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:17 PM »
If you have to buy the crappy round tip ups with short shafts then get the HT. If your allowed to soak tip ups overnite do not use round tip ups. It's a PITA chipping them out of the ice hole.  The short shaft makes the spool ride higher in the hole and the spool freezes, it rides even higher if you use a hole cover.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Thanks guys! We don't soak tip-ups around here. I like the round tip-ups for storage purposes. I have the First Ice ones Gander used to sell, but I want new ones that will stack in a bucket. I never thought about the spool freezing on the shorter arms though.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Daiwa Laguna Reels

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:16 PM »
I have a few of the HT and 5 of them fit in the 6 gallon ice fishing HT bucket. The HT's fold underneath and fit better in buckets, but have shorter shafts. They don't freeze as bad and the straight stick ones, but I always use a hole cover and pile snow around the edges for insulation. If you checking every hour or so, it shouldn't freeze too bad. If you're going a few a hours and it's really cold, the round ones can be a pain. I also forgot to add if someone has a 12 inch auger the roundies barely cover the hole and get cattywhompuss on ya.  ;D

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2011, 02:55 PM »
For me it's no question, Frabills all the way.  I have HT's and beaver dams and both sit in a bucket in the garage.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I like the HT's much better. I like the metal T post on top like normal wooded tip-ups. I like to set the hook on pike by pulling them up by the "T". I have had issues with the cheap plastic post on the frabill's coming off.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Beaver dam no other way to go

Why is the beaver damb so good?

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:19 PM »
before i spout off and voice my opinion, what will you be using them for? bass, pike, perch, walleye, trout, etc?  how deep of water? how many times a year will you use them?  how many do you want to buy or how much money are you looking to spend?    how hard are you on your equipment? do you toss your tip-ups in a bucket and leave them in the back of a truck or are you ''careful'' with them, bring them in the house at night, etc?  do you fish in deep snow with blowing winds?   
i feel there are better tip-ups available for a fair price that are a better value than either of the ones you are looking at.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Great questions.  Ok i will try and give u lots of info .  Fishing for  mostly walleye, jumbos, crappy, with the odd huge musky thrown in for excitement.  Lots of dinks .  Usually in 3-15 ft water with average at 5-6 ft. Deepest point is 23 ft.  Weedy lake.  I take care of tip ups, place in nice bag at end of the night ...but like a quick "rap-up" at end of fishing night. Don't want tangles and lengthily packing procedures.  I don't want "hole freeze over" or would like to avoid it as much as possible.  hense the interest in Polar insulated tip ups.  I like using bells and lights if possible.  I usually bring in house at end if night. Iam  looking for "the perfect tip up"
Using windlass's right now. They are ok but hole freeze is an issue and I can only use one hook ( vs 2) for pack up issues. I love the Tackel boxes on polar as I can store right there the hook assembly. Hate the plastic flags. Seen one guy on a beaver with a foam circle underlay to mock the Polars, great idea.  Best of both worlds ?

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:21 PM »
OK, other than price we are on track.  you now own and know how to use the windlass. don't get rid of them. use them when conditions are ''right''.   one of my biggest mistakes in ice fishing was selling off 6 good made in the USA windlass tip-ups to a guy in Maine on ebay.
i'm not going to push the HT polars with the metal spool but, for under $15.00 each they are hard to beat. taken care of, they'll last a long time.
beaver dams are a great tip-up made right here in the US of A. $25.00 each at the local bait shop. they don't have a crank for the reel so you either do it by finger or buy one of their piece of wood and a pencil winder.   not worth the money.  hokey design IMO. 
anything cross stick, IMO, slaps the ice and rocks too much for perch and walleye.  heratige laker, indian hill, HT fisherman, etc.  not worth your time and money as described for your use.    SORRY, they're a great tip-up for big-agressive fish, made in America but, not tuneable for the little guys.
fish brothers, made in Michigan have a unique design that stores 2 tip-ups inside a black plastic box. the tip-up fits into a notch and the box becomes the hole cover.   easier to see than a polar but, they slap and rock on the bare ice.  with a bit of snow under them, are quiet.  i've modified mine to use a longer spring or flag wand that tensions directly to the spool.   EZ to do. reduces slap and rock. flies the flag a minimum of a foot higher than the original set-up.    you can adjust the ''drag'' on the spools from almost nothing to hold back an f-250.  with a little bit of modification (under $3.00) these are killer.  i own 3 pair now and would be lost without them.
plastic hole covers made from corrigated black or whatever color plastic make great hole covers. you can get the stuff from the local party store, vote for me signs or . . . .  cut them smaller than the lid of a 5 gallon bucket and they'll drop to the bottom for storage. a 3/8'' hole drilled in the center and a slit cut with a utility knife from edge to center hole works perfect.    that is what i use. have for years, can't find better.
i used to put glow sticks, alarms and mercury switch alarms on my tip-ups. the sticks would freeze and die in the cold temps. the alarms let everyone around who was watching either by eyes or bino's that i had a fish. the mercury lights are now about $12.00 each plus $7.00 for the batteries.          i went to wally-world. bought their one buck flash light from the camping section, put duracell batteries in them and lay them on the hole cover shining on the flag.  i can see the flag trip and the flashlight shows snowmobiles and quads there is a tip-up there.   my way, right or wrong.  cheapest mod so far.
SO, the gooseblaster recommendation is. one set of fish brothers for $20.00 = 2 tip-ups made in America. add $2.00 for a flashlight for each. drop into your bucket at the end of the day.  i said in a different post 6 will fit into a milk crate.
HT polar tip-ups with a metal spool @ 200' per spool. get the orange ones or ''bubblegum color'' for visability.  (there's an iceshanty thing about pink).     use a hole cover from corrigated plastic and never look back. 8 fit into a kitty litter bucket without a mess. the plastic hole covers fit into the buckets as well.
use velcro to hold the hook to the spool and another strip to hold the shaft to the body on the HT'S. velcro holds the hooks nicely on a fishbrothers too.
i do not have an account to post pictures and never will.  my camera sucks for quality but, will email as best i can when i can to help others.
best of luck.

Offline Ocean

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:00 PM »
Slick man.  Great info! Thanks. Gonna digest this.  Thanks for the super reply. 

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:58 PM »
I have both ht and frabill tip ups and they are both great tip ups but I usually end up taking the frabills out and let friends or family use the ht's. Can't go wrong with either brand they are both quality tip ups but its just like what trucks better ford,chevy or dodge people will always have preferences to what they want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.