Author Topic: tire chains on ford ranger ?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
tire chains on ford ranger ?
« on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:13 PM »
i  got a 2wd 4 cyl ranger i have winter tires on the rear tires and it does great on the road, but when i get to the lake i seem to get stuck at least once every time mainly cause of the ice, would chains help me out alot, if so does anyone know about how much they would be and if they are a pain in the butt to put on
thanks

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tire chains on ford ranger ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Studded tires or no?

Studs are worth their weight in gold on the ice.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Chains would help out some. On the lake i have my perm on there are some younger kids with a two wheel drive ranger and they chain up and seem to get around ok until we get snow.. studded tire  would be fine but who would want to change tires  at the lake. Chains will work but get good tire chains.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Chains would help out some. On the lake i have my perm on there are some younger kids with a two wheel drive ranger and they chain up and seem to get around ok until we get snow.. studded tire  would be fine but who would want to change tires  at the lake. Chains will work but get good tire chains.

Change tires on the lake? Run the studs all winter.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Not on the roads here you would get a ticket i think. I have been driving for 13 year and never seen chains or studs. We are just good drivers in wisconsin

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:18 PM »
I drive a Ranger 2wd and wouldn't be without chains, even if I ran studded tires, which I don't. Just be sure you get good quality V-bar type. They'll get you through a lot of snow and the slight hassle of putting them on is nothing compared to shoveling or getting a tow. Couple of concrete sidewalk blocks over the rear wheels helps them bite in even more.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Not on the roads here you would get a ticket i think. I have been driving for 13 year and never seen chains or studs. We are just good drivers in wisconsin

You cant run studded tires in Wisc? Odd...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I've got a 2WD F150, and chains are worth their weight in gold for driving on the lake. I've got the super heavy-duty Vbar chains, they take about 10 minutes to put on, but are completely worth it. You can probably find some for your truck for about $100. Tirechains.com is a good source.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.