Author Topic: Is there any signs of winter in our future  (Read 2400 times)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is there any signs of winter in our future
« on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:08 AM »
This is insane I cannot believe we are having lasting weather in the 50's... I remember years where I have been on the ice before thanksgiving we are going to be lucky to be on the ice before Christmas.... Here's to hoping we have ice for then because my company shuts down the week in between Christmas and New Years so I will be venturing out hopefully.... :'(

Any Signs of Winter ?????
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is there any signs of winter in our future
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Same deal here coldsteel- I get the week bewteen Christmas and New years. I was hoping to make some champlain trips as well as hit the river. Now I'm just hoping to get out :-\ They think it might get cold next week, but their idea of cold and mine are 2 very different things.....

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2011, 12:23 PM »
haha i agree totally with that statement at this point we need single digits asap!!!! If we do get some ice lets do some fishin during that week?!?!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:20 PM »
i heard next wednesday the pattern will change to 30's during the day to the teens at night...its a start...if i can't fish for christmas break i think i am going to florida to bass fish...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline tipup7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2011, 06:28 PM »
next week  temps are starting drop and hopefully we will stay in that pattern.  I have had enough of this fall weather.

T.S.G.!!!!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:41 AM »
Jibbs I dont blame ya haha, I hope you are right tipup it seemed to be a bit cooler this morning aswell when I came into work... Hopefully jackfrost starts hangin around more

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:42 PM »
i did a internet search and came to a site called ruggie weather. his prediction last year was right on. he says that the pattern will change 12- 5 , we will see and hope he is right

Offline icefsh4gold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got pliers?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:44 PM »
it'll be like any other year, eventually it'll balance out.  a week or 2 of freezing cold nights and days in the 30's and we'll be on the ice in no time.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot"-Steven Wright

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I hope so I am going to look at an auger today after work finally getting a gas powered haha

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:12 AM »
optimism is a great start

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:56 AM »
picked up the eskimo 8" on firday at it runs great cant wait for the hardwater now even more

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:15 AM »
I was looking for some long range forecasts and ran across this, it puts an interesting spin on it !

Winter 2011 long-range research

We are now two years removed from a moderate El Nino.

The winter forecast for 2011-2012 is again a “La Nina” weighted outlook. History tells us what most La Nina winters are like. But history also shows there are some La Nina winters that behave outside what is typical. Last winter was an extreme example where atmospheric blocking patterns –AO/-NAO overwhelmed the La Nina signal until late February and March when the typical La Nina pattern took over for the end of winter and the spring. Last year was a strong La Nina by most measures yet behaved unlike almost any strong La Nina winter in history (Black swan event).

Last winter saw a +QBO, +IOD, strong basinwide La Nina/-PDO, +AMO. That basically screams torch, low solar point. This year preliminary indications point to a -QBO, weaker La nina vs 2010-11, neutral IOD, cooler AMO, and still  -PDO.  -QBO years with low sun action years in either ENSO mode. 1967/68 is fairly similar to this year, with the -PDO, second year La Nina, a weak solar cycle. Interesting matches are present with either state of QBO: 2010/11, 1967/68, 1917/18, and 1903/04 all fit the profile, so do 2008/09 and 1974/75.

Pacific Ocean temperatures returned to neutral during the spring and summer, but renewed cooling has been in evidence in recent months, and modeling indicates neutral to weak La Nina conditions for the fall and winter.  In fact the 8 September CPC ENSO diagnostic bulletin stated: “La Niña conditions have returned and are expected to gradually strengthen and continue into the Northern Hemisphere winter 2011-12, a LA NINA Advisory is in effect. La Nina has been present in consecutive winters four times since the 1950s. Of those, two were stronger by NOAA’s criteria the second time, two were weaker, and in three of the four cases, there was a three-peat (three winters in a row with a La Nina).
Usually El Nino and La Nina don't act on seasonal weather alone. Several other weather and/or climate factors also typically contribute to the overall climate of the Northern Hemisphere such as the North Atlantic Oscillation, the Arctic Oscillation, the Pacific North American Pattern, the Madden-Julian Oscillation or variable atmospheric "blocking" (traffic jams in the upper-level atmospheric flow with varying life spans).

The state of the Pacific Ocean, La Nina / El Nino can be a key factor for wintertime weather patterns in the United States and elsewhere, but there’s another one which is at least as if not more important, especially for the eastern and central states: the 'North Atlantic Oscillation,' or NAO. Its extremity the past two winters has overwhelmed other influences (a strong La Nina last winter and a strong El Nino the previous one) and helped lead to wild snowstorms and widespread below-average temperatures in patterns not usually seen with either ENSO condition.

Any given year can be an exception, but historically a strong correlation exists between La Nina and below-average precipitation across the southern tier of the US during the fall and winter.

La Niña appears to have staged a more rapid comeback than anticipated in August, although the overall likelihood of a 'double-dip' La Niña has always been higher than 50%, given big La Niña events have a strong tendency to re-emerge after 'taking time off' during northern hemispheric summer, as last seen in 2008. On the other hand, this month's return to weak La Niña conditions is not guaranteed to continue into the winter either: the La Niña winter of 1988-89 was followed by a brief interlude of ENSO-neutral conditions in early summer of 1989, then a brief return to La Niña in late summer, and back to ENSO-neutral during the subsequent boreal fall and winter. However, that is the only such case in the last six decades, so La Niña is more likely to continue into the fall than not and probably winter as well.
IF we end up with a La Nina this winter that is as strong or stronger than last years, then a winter as bad or worse than last winter would be indicated East of the Missouri River mainly if it is accompanied by a -NAO. CURRENT EXPECTATIONS are for a weak to moderate La Nina and less –AO/-NAO leading to a less harsh version of last winter, closer to the climatologically mean of past La Nina winters.  As always, the unpredictable AO/NAO can always modulate the LA Nina signal, but it can only be estimated in the long-range.

The current rank of the MEI has dropped even more dramatically from 28th last month to 16th this month, back to weak La Niña rankings. The 2010-11 portion of this La Niña event had been classified as strong (top 6 rankings since 1950) from July-August 2010 through March-April 2011, tied with 1975-76 for 2nd place in terms of strong duration, and only behind 1955-56 (15 months).

In the context of the rapid transition from El Niño into La Niña last year, this section features a comparison figure with strong La Niña events that all reached at least minus one standard deviations by June-July of the first year, and a peak of at least -1.4 sigma over the course of the event. It turns out that this selection covers exactly the same strong La Niña events that were introduced earlier (1949-51, 1954-56, 1964-65, 1970-72, 1973-76, and 1988-89), in addition to monitoring the currently unfolding event. The most recent moderate La Niña events of 1998-2001 and 2007-09 did not qualify, since they either did not reach the required peak anomaly (the first one) or became strong too late in the calendar year (both).

The analog list used to predict the coming winter will take into account the low solar influence (there are multiple cycles 11-year, 22, 60-70, 102, 213 etc.), GAAM (global atmospheric angular momentum), stratospheric aerosols (past volcanic eruptions in relevant regions), best guesstimate of blocking or lack of blocking (AO/NAO), second year –ENSO history, Southern hemisphere antecedent winter, cryosphere conditions (snow and ice coverage) and all the usual teleconnection global indices such as PDO, AMO, QBO, PNA, etc. (some of which follow roughly 65 year pendulum swings)

The final outcome of the hurricane season and behavior of fall weather will also be factored in at the end. The summer weather is factored looking for past matches to create an analog set. For example, the multi-year La Nina summers of 1954-1956 show a similar temperature pattern to summer 2011. Summers past where the AO/NAO were negative just like this June-August period yields 1958, 1963, 1977, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Low solar yields among others 1893, 1903, 1904, 1917, 1918.

I’ve stated earlier that it’s interesting to note that in Atlanta cold winters have twice followed hot summers and we just had another hot summer. This leads to concern that another “abnormal” La Nina winter could be on the way; given the Southeast usually has a warm dry high-pressure ridge dominate in the DJF period during La Nina.

The current early signals East of the Rockies (non computer model) point to high latitude atmospheric blocking which weighs toward a cooler than normal end of autumn after mid-fall mild conditions and to a front-loaded winter Dec.-Jan., with moderation in mid February trending to above-normal by March.

Other analog years being considered for the coming winter are: 1962,1963,1964,1970,1971,1972,1976,1978,1990,1997,2001,2006,2007,2009,2010,1980,85,86,89,91,95,96,99,2000,2003,2007. Along with the previous ones mentioned.

Remember the analog approach uses past years that are near matches to the current or expected pattern under the assumption that “what’s past is prologue”.

This allows us to construct future maps of temperature and precipitation based on what has happened in past weather history on average. However, Mother Nature never gives straight clues so there is always noise. And of course no two seasons are every exactly the same and no two EL Nino or La Nina seasons are ever exactly the same. We can only come up with a best approximation. This summary provides deep background so the winter forecast released in November or early December can be more direct.

La Niña is a naturally occurring climate phenomenon located over the tropical Pacific Ocean and results from interactions between the ocean surface and the atmosphere. During La Niña, cooler-than-average Pacific Ocean temperatures influence global weather patterns. La Niña typically occurs every three-to-five years, and back-to-back episodes occur about 50 percent of the time. Current conditions reflect a re-development of the June 2010-May 2011 La Niña episode.

La Niña winters often see drier than normal conditions across the southern tier of the United States and wetter than normal conditions in the Pacific Northwest and Ohio Valley.

If it behaves like most La Nina episodes.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I was looking for some long range forecasts and ran across this, it puts an interesting spin on it !

(Image removed from quote.)

Winter 2011 long-range research

We are now two years removed from a moderate El Nino.

The winter forecast for 2011-2012 is again a “La Nina” weighted outlook. History tells us what most La Nina winters are like. But history also shows there are some La Nina winters that behave outside what is typical. Last winter was an extreme example where atmospheric blocking patterns –AO/-NAO overwhelmed the La Nina signal until late February and March when the typical La Nina pattern took over for the end of winter and the spring. Last year was a strong La Nina by most measures yet behaved unlike almost any strong La Nina winter in history (Black swan event).

Last winter saw a +QBO, +IOD, strong basinwide La Nina/-PDO, +AMO. That basically screams torch, low solar point. This year preliminary indications point to a -QBO, weaker La nina vs 2010-11, neutral IOD, cooler AMO, and still  -PDO.  -QBO years with low sun action years in either ENSO mode. 1967/68 is fairly similar to this year, with the -PDO, second year La Nina, a weak solar cycle. Interesting matches are present with either state of QBO: 2010/11, 1967/68, 1917/18, and 1903/04 all fit the profile, so do 2008/09 and 1974/75.

Pacific Ocean temperatures returned to neutral during the spring and summer, but renewed cooling has been in evidence in recent months, and modeling indicates neutral to weak La Nina conditions for the fall and winter.  In fact the 8 September CPC ENSO diagnostic bulletin stated: “La Niña conditions have returned and are expected to gradually strengthen and continue into the Northern Hemisphere winter 2011-12, a LA NINA Advisory is in effect. La Nina has been present in consecutive winters four times since the 1950s. Of those, two were stronger by NOAA’s criteria the second time, two were weaker, and in three of the four cases, there was a three-peat (three winters in a row with a La Nina).
Usually El Nino and La Nina don't act on seasonal weather alone. Several other weather and/or climate factors also typically contribute to the overall climate of the Northern Hemisphere such as the North Atlantic Oscillation, the Arctic Oscillation, the Pacific North American Pattern, the Madden-Julian Oscillation or variable atmospheric "blocking" (traffic jams in the upper-level atmospheric flow with varying life spans).

The state of the Pacific Ocean, La Nina / El Nino can be a key factor for wintertime weather patterns in the United States and elsewhere, but there’s another one which is at least as if not more important, especially for the eastern and central states: the 'North Atlantic Oscillation,' or NAO. Its extremity the past two winters has overwhelmed other influences (a strong La Nina last winter and a strong El Nino the previous one) and helped lead to wild snowstorms and widespread below-average temperatures in patterns not usually seen with either ENSO condition.

Any given year can be an exception, but historically a strong correlation exists between La Nina and below-average precipitation across the southern tier of the US during the fall and winter.

La Niña appears to have staged a more rapid comeback than anticipated in August, although the overall likelihood of a 'double-dip' La Niña has always been higher than 50%, given big La Niña events have a strong tendency to re-emerge after 'taking time off' during northern hemispheric summer, as last seen in 2008. On the other hand, this month's return to weak La Niña conditions is not guaranteed to continue into the winter either: the La Niña winter of 1988-89 was followed by a brief interlude of ENSO-neutral conditions in early summer of 1989, then a brief return to La Niña in late summer, and back to ENSO-neutral during the subsequent boreal fall and winter. However, that is the only such case in the last six decades, so La Niña is more likely to continue into the fall than not and probably winter as well.
IF we end up with a La Nina this winter that is as strong or stronger than last years, then a winter as bad or worse than last winter would be indicated East of the Missouri River mainly if it is accompanied by a -NAO. CURRENT EXPECTATIONS are for a weak to moderate La Nina and less –AO/-NAO leading to a less harsh version of last winter, closer to the climatologically mean of past La Nina winters.  As always, the unpredictable AO/NAO can always modulate the LA Nina signal, but it can only be estimated in the long-range.

The current rank of the MEI has dropped even more dramatically from 28th last month to 16th this month, back to weak La Niña rankings. The 2010-11 portion of this La Niña event had been classified as strong (top 6 rankings since 1950) from July-August 2010 through March-April 2011, tied with 1975-76 for 2nd place in terms of strong duration, and only behind 1955-56 (15 months).

In the context of the rapid transition from El Niño into La Niña last year, this section features a comparison figure with strong La Niña events that all reached at least minus one standard deviations by June-July of the first year, and a peak of at least -1.4 sigma over the course of the event. It turns out that this selection covers exactly the same strong La Niña events that were introduced earlier (1949-51, 1954-56, 1964-65, 1970-72, 1973-76, and 1988-89), in addition to monitoring the currently unfolding event. The most recent moderate La Niña events of 1998-2001 and 2007-09 did not qualify, since they either did not reach the required peak anomaly (the first one) or became strong too late in the calendar year (both).

The analog list used to predict the coming winter will take into account the low solar influence (there are multiple cycles 11-year, 22, 60-70, 102, 213 etc.), GAAM (global atmospheric angular momentum), stratospheric aerosols (past volcanic eruptions in relevant regions), best guesstimate of blocking or lack of blocking (AO/NAO), second year –ENSO history, Southern hemisphere antecedent winter, cryosphere conditions (snow and ice coverage) and all the usual teleconnection global indices such as PDO, AMO, QBO, PNA, etc. (some of which follow roughly 65 year pendulum swings)

The final outcome of the hurricane season and behavior of fall weather will also be factored in at the end. The summer weather is factored looking for past matches to create an analog set. For example, the multi-year La Nina summers of 1954-1956 show a similar temperature pattern to summer 2011. Summers past where the AO/NAO were negative just like this June-August period yields 1958, 1963, 1977, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Low solar yields among others 1893, 1903, 1904, 1917, 1918.

I’ve stated earlier that it’s interesting to note that in Atlanta cold winters have twice followed hot summers and we just had another hot summer. This leads to concern that another “abnormal” La Nina winter could be on the way; given the Southeast usually has a warm dry high-pressure ridge dominate in the DJF period during La Nina.

The current early signals East of the Rockies (non computer model) point to high latitude atmospheric blocking which weighs toward a cooler than normal end of autumn after mid-fall mild conditions and to a front-loaded winter Dec.-Jan., with moderation in mid February trending to above-normal by March.

Other analog years being considered for the coming winter are: 1962,1963,1964,1970,1971,1972,1976,1978,1990,1997,2001,2006,2007,2009,2010,1980,85,86,89,91,95,96,99,2000,2003,2007. Along with the previous ones mentioned.

Remember the analog approach uses past years that are near matches to the current or expected pattern under the assumption that “what’s past is prologue”.

This allows us to construct future maps of temperature and precipitation based on what has happened in past weather history on average. However, Mother Nature never gives straight clues so there is always noise. And of course no two seasons are every exactly the same and no two EL Nino or La Nina seasons are ever exactly the same. We can only come up with a best approximation. This summary provides deep background so the winter forecast released in November or early December can be more direct.

La Niña is a naturally occurring climate phenomenon located over the tropical Pacific Ocean and results from interactions between the ocean surface and the atmosphere. During La Niña, cooler-than-average Pacific Ocean temperatures influence global weather patterns. La Niña typically occurs every three-to-five years, and back-to-back episodes occur about 50 percent of the time. Current conditions reflect a re-development of the June 2010-May 2011 La Niña episode.

La Niña winters often see drier than normal conditions across the southern tier of the United States and wetter than normal conditions in the Pacific Northwest and Ohio Valley.

If it behaves like most La Nina episodes.

ummmmmmm.............. ??? ???i dont get it ??? ???................could you repeat all that?
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:09 PM »
i think they mean our winter may be like last years but starting a bit late

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Sorry Tippin, my bad ! To sum all that up only takes 5 words, They Don't Have A Frikken Clue !!  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:37 PM »
Sorry Tippin, my bad ! To sum all that up only takes 5 words, They Don't Have A Frikken Clue !!  :woot: :roflmao:

....lol....agreed!....i wish i could screw up that much, without losing my job!..... ;D

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:32 AM »
This long term forecast brings some revolutionary new facts to the table, they predict that this winter it will be warm in Mexico and Central America and will be cool in Alaska and the Yukon.

Great, who would have thought?  ::) ;D
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:56 AM »
This long term forecast brings some revolutionary new facts to the table, they predict that this winter it will be warm in Mexico and Central America and will be cool in Alaska and the Yukon.

Great, who would have thought?  ::) ;D

lmao brilliant!!!! on a side note are any of you guys going up to fish for the cure I am going to give it a try this year

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2011, 05:03 PM »
lmao brilliant!!!! on a side note are any of you guys going up to fish for the cure I am going to give it a try this year
where and when is that?

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:43 AM »
where and when is that?

it is in Sabbattus Maine Jan 28th take a look at the maine board there is a link to it

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for days i don't fish
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2011, 01:43 PM »
 Well  woke up to 4" of snow today lets hope it stays cold to make some ice .

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2011, 02:35 PM »
thats a good sign, up north weather looks to being getting down to where we need it slowly but surely

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:29 PM »

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:44 PM »
it'll be like any other year, eventually it'll balance out.  a week or 2 of freezing cold nights and days in the 30's and we'll be on the ice in no time.

All you really need is three consecutive days/nights of sub freezing temps for ice safe enough to walk/fish on!
Remember.  Where ever you go, there you are.

Offline icefsh4gold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got pliers?
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2011, 03:42 PM »
@screaminspoll...i think it all depends on the size of the body of water.  a little pond will lock up quick...it's the big lakes im worried about. once everything locks up it seems to come quick...it's locking up thats difficult, especially if the nights are very windy. im optimistic though.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot"-Steven Wright

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:42 PM »
we need sustained cold with lows in the single #'s

surflizard

« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Quote :we need sustained cold with lows in the single #'s

From now till March works for me !!  >:D

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Quote :we need sustained cold with lows in the single #'s

From now till March works for me !!  >:D
march? how bout april1st

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Gotta have the March Cusk spawn Buddy, can't live without it !  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:33 PM »
i find it interesting this yr. that the ice formation is a hot topic...(no pun intended... ;D), but .....watching the forcast, and seeing posts from the west of us here in n.h.
its def. going to be late for the large body's of water, but smaller bodys of water....on track......but thats just my opinion and who knows what the future holds weather-wise.

either case....lets all be safe out there!.....bring your spuds out there, and check,check the ice!...

-tippin-

Offline EARLE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:41 PM »
any ice in northern NH yet?     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.