Author Topic: Problem with St. Croix Legend Rod  (Read 3913 times)

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Problem with St. Croix Legend Rod
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I bought one of the $50.00 Legend ice rods last year.  The blank twisted in the handle so the guides don't line up with the reel seat.  I expected more from a $50.00 rod.  When I contacted St. Croix they instructed me to send the rod back with a check for $25.00 and they would fix it.  What a deal!  Needless to say, no more St. Croix rods for this old dog face.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Problem with St. Croix Legend Rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I have not had that issue with the Legend, but on the premier rods, I have. I had a similar response.. send them the rod and a cheque for $10 for return shipping.. well that rod only sells for $20, and I could walk down to the local shop to replace it for the same cost as shipping it back to them to look at.. that was the last premier i purchased

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:56 AM »
I did move it a little by twisting it.  I was afraid of breaking the blank.  Bottom line is I really shouldn't have to do this for a 1 year old, $50.00 rod that I've used about 4 or 5 times.  $50.00 rod, plus tax $3.00, plus 3 extra wire spring bobbers at $7.00 each plus shipping.  About $80.00 worth of junk. 
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:22 PM »
I noticed that ALL of them at my local gander mtn store have crooked guides. When you put a reel on them and look closely, the guides are not straight at all (They let me open the tubes). I want a rod with that spring bobber setup, but I will not spend $50 on junk like this either!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:29 PM »
  Take it back where you bought it and get a refund.  I put St. Croix spring bobbers on my rods buy the replacement spring for between $7 and $10 dollars and get a #8 single foot eyelet wrap it on and I think its a 1/8 in drill bit  and twist it by hand if the spring goes in real hard.  When you slide the spring for different weight hooks use 2 hands and take your time.  Had mine on 2 yrs with same spring, buddy wrecked his in 2 days wont listen too inpatient.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:42 PM »
If you carefully examine all fishing rods, you will find a certain percentage of rods like this.  There will be higher percentage in some rods compared to others.  One just have to ask themself, what is their tolerance for imperfections.  Although some imperfections are just as said, junk workmanship.  Add in high volume production and poof...there you have it.  It's sitting at the store now.

IMO the St. Croix legend ice rod needs to be baby'd.   ;)  Well at least that's how I treat mine.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:43 PM »
Interesting and sorry to hear about your luck with the legends.  My buddies and I have been using these for a few years now with no real issues.  I did break the spring holder on a M rod, took it back to where i bought it and they gave me a new one.  I love these rods and will actually be purchasing another this week for this season.  There are lemons in all products, no matter the quality or the cost.  I have two legends now and both have aligned eye lits. 

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:53 PM »
The quality does seem noticably worse.  I noticed the crooked guides and they have changed from the nice gold spring to something cheaper.  SAD..

Steve

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:57 PM »
I own 3 of them and have not had that issue I did however break the tip off of one but that was my own stupidity  :pinch: I was gonna replace it this year and get another but I ran into a fella that had a couple Austin custom rods that were outfitted to accept the St. Croix spring bobbers and after looking at them closely I noticed the eyelets were as straight as an arrow. I still love my Croixs but looking at the craftsmanship of these other rods I don't think I'll buy another production rod made in Mexico. There's a ton of custom rod builders out there that build each unit themselves for the most part and really aren't that much more then these. I would check into having a custom made for yourself. Good luck and sorry to hear about your problem. There doesn't seem to be such a thing as good quality with larger outfits anymore.  :(

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:03 PM »
I must be lucky. Out of the 6 I have ,they have no issues. I noticed the color change in the spring on my newest one, but it dont apear to be of any less quality than the gold ones..Just a different color.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:08 PM »
You can buy the ice legend spring bobbers seperately. A guide off a broken rod, a rubber grommet, and some glue and thread is all you need to set it up. Its nice because you can put it on the rod of your choice. That being said, sorry to hear about your experience with st. croix. I own several of the st. croix premiers and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I bought 2 of the Premiers last year and they were pretty good.  I bought 2 this year and put the eye/grommet on myself for the spring bobbers yesterday.  The 2 I bought this year have guides that don't line up.  Pretty sure they must have a one-eyed technician putting some of the guides on these rods!  Anyway, the twist wasn't bad enough that I wanted to spend money to ship a $20 rod back, so I made the best of it and made sure my tip-top and spring bobber are in-line with each other and my reels. 
  BE THERE!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:10 PM »
I have an older 24" ul st croix and love it. I think its the premier but not sure. Guides are pretty straight! The legends were just highly noticable. I also noticed the cork was in pretty bad shape on the new legends. Holes in it and pieces or chunks missing. Definitely lacking quality they once had I believe. The guides dont have to be perfect but they were way off. Add in the crappy cork and I said nope. That being said, I havent noticed these imperfections on their open water rods.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:25 PM »
The only thing good about them is the spring bobber. I bough the ML and extra spring bobbers, used it for crappie and it was terrible. The bend was way off and the guides were all bent, I ended up giving it away.

Get a Jason Mitchell spring bobber rod, those are the bomb.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:25 PM »
The ice rods are made in Mexico, open water rods in WI with the exception of their low end rod line....

Offline kraftamatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:52 PM »
i bought the new fenwick eite seem to be a good rod for 30 bucks
you gonna set steel or whistle dixie

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2011, 11:38 PM »
A local guy here makes rods with the st. Croix blanks spring bobbers etc..  picked one up today seems to be very good quality,  everything lines up,  and a lot cheaper than $50.00

Offline ice pig 121

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Had the same problem, picked up a Legend 17"L  at FF last week with nothing but excitement.  Got home, opened her up, looked down the rod and noticed the eyes are off alignment.  It will still work, but after fishing for years with "combos" I decided to take the jump and pick up a nice rod. Armed it with a Sienna and 2lb. Fireline fused.  I think it will still be an awesome panfish rig but just a little disapointed after being so excited for a so called "good rig"
Tight lines and happy hunting to all! Go Vikings!!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2011, 11:43 PM »
if your gunna spend 50 bucks i recommend getting a custom made to your desired specifications with the st croix spring bobber attachment. can get a great rod made for anywhere from 30-40 bucks.best option in my opinion...

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2011, 01:08 AM »
Anyone care to steer me to a website that makes these custom rods with the spring bobber setup off the legends? I dont know of any locally. I dont want a fancy smancy painted up rod, just a good blank with the legend spring bobber setup and preferably a reel seat similar to the legend so I dont have to tape the reel on. I prefer the pistol grip sometimes, but dont wana ruin a good cork handle on a custom and would prefer the cleaner look and feel of that style reel seat attachment.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:44 AM »
]

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:16 AM »
I have not had that issue with the Legend, but on the premier rods, I have. I had a similar response.. send them the rod and a cheque for $10 for return shipping.. well that rod only sells for $20, and I could walk down to the local shop to replace it for the same cost as shipping it back to them to look at.. that was the last premier i purchased
was going to try a premiere but the way the reel have to be fixed to the rod have bugged me out
any recommendation?

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Had the same problem, picked up a Legend 17"L  at FF last week with nothing but excitement.  Got home, opened her up, looked down the rod and noticed the eyes are off alignment.  It will still work, but after fishing for years with "combos" I decided to take the jump and pick up a nice rod. Armed it with a Sienna and 2lb. Fireline fused.  I think it will still be an awesome panfish rig but just a little disapointed after being so excited for a so called "good rig"

I replaced my rods this year since I wanted to get away from spring bobbers and looked at the same rods at FF and could notice the same. Sad to see good rods go bad :(:P

Ended up going with the Fenwick Elite Rods which will get their debut in a couple weeks.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:39 AM »
i had gregg austin build mine and i love it! cant wait to ice em though

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2011, 04:15 PM »
We should all send emails to st croix and complain about the poorly aligned guides and poor quality cork. My as well let them know they are ruining a "once great" product line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.