Author Topic: Spinning reels  (Read 3201 times)

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
Spinning reels
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Im in the market for a new reel for ice fishing? What reels are You guys running on your ice combos? I'm looking for something with instant anti-reverse and not too expensive

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spinning reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:03 AM »
Tica, shimano sahara 500, are the best I have the penn 420ssg is great too although not so instant. I haven't tried the frabill bro series with the extra shallow spool and the low temp ice lube...They are $28 the above reels are apx $50, $75 and $75. the above reels are the best and have been tested true. The pfluegar medalist is another nice reel but I have not used it it is about $50.
The frabills are about half price and have an extra spool and low temp lube. I wish I new who maunfactured them! Anyway I am dead serious about reels and that is my take. I bought a pair of quantums for about $25 the bails are sufficient but weak. Reels under $25 not so good.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:11 AM »
I bought 2 Dave Genz Power Stick Reel - 8815
They seem nice for 19.99 the Infinite Anti-reverse is spot on.
I guess we will see how they hold up this season.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:49 AM »
Im in the market for a new reel for ice fishing? What reels are You guys running on your ice combos? I'm looking for something with instant anti-reverse and not too expensive

shimano sienna 500........... $30ish
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:53 PM »
LDB that's a nice looking reel for the price point. I'll have to go look at them and also pick up a new rod

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:00 PM »
the are excellent and available in the peg. Wholesale and Pro-am have them.
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Tica, shimano sahara 500, are the best I have the penn 420ssg is great too although not so instant. I haven't tried the frabill bro series with the extra shallow spool and the low temp ice lube...They are $28 the above reels are apx $50, $75 and $75. the above reels are the best and have been tested true. The pfluegar medalist is another nice reel but I have not used it it is about $50.
The frabills are about half price and have an extra spool and low temp lube. I wish I new who maunfactured them! Anyway I am dead serious about reels and that is my take. I bought a pair of quantums for about $25 the bails are sufficient but weak. Reels under $25 not so good.
All the reels listed are great! I have to agree with you about the cheaper reels. I'm not saying they don't work but personally I like to spend the extra money on something that is going to hold up. Pflueger president (micro size) and Pflueger supremes (25 size) have treated me really well. They're a little pricey but if you shop around you can pick them up for a decent price. Gander had the quantum kinetic on sale the other day (05 size) for $39.99 (half off). I havn't bought one yet but it looks like an awesome little reel. Titanium bail, alumunum frame, and a super smooth drag. Might be worth checking out :tipup:

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Shimano's last forever., can't go wrong.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:49 PM »
I would find what you like or are sugested and then wach ebay for them. it is usually cheaper.

Offline kraftamatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:56 PM »
All the reels listed are great! I have to agree with you about the cheaper reels. I'm not saying they don't work but personally I like to spend the extra money on something that is going to hold up. Pflueger president (micro size) and Pflueger supremes (25 size) have treated me really well. They're a little pricey but if you shop around you can pick them up for a decent price. Gander had the quantum kinetic on sale the other day (05 size) for $39.99 (half off). I havn't bought one yet but it looks like an awesome little reel. Titanium bail, alumunum frame, and a super smooth drag. Might be worth checking out :tipup:
the president is the best reel for the money you can own
you gonna set steel or whistle dixie

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Just picked up a president on sale at gander for $50! Cant wait to get my custom rods started and slap that baby on there!

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:06 PM »
tica ;D

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Cant go wrong with shimano sienna's or sedona's i have a couple of both... I have a few presidents also i like them... A quality reel is one of the most important things icefishing i think  :tipup:

Offline The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Bozeiceman knows what he is talking about, I too fish the Shimano Sahara 500s, they are great.  If your looking to get into a good reel for less go with the Shimano Sienna 500, pair it with a good rod and you will have a very nice setup with a price comparable to any over the counter combo.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I have shimano siennas on 3 rods.  But don't overlook Pfleuger, great value.  President and Trion would wake great ice reels.  I found with the Sienna's I had to clean out the grease that came in the reel and replace it with some lube better suited for cold weather.  I usually fish outside and the drag freezes up big time with the stock lubrication

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:21 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Presidents.  Decent reel for a decent price, converts to open water well.  We bought several of th Kinetics a while back, and while they start off nice, about half of them have had the anti-reverse fail.
Prayin' for cold

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Abu Garcia Cardinal 400i.  Abu's best reel with a graphite body, its lightweight and has an excellent drag system.  Vey smooth, about $50 

I like the black graphite body, feels warmer to the touch and water doesn't freeze as easily to it. You will want to replace the factory grease with sub zero or hot sauce for really cold weather use. 

The new Pflueger President 6900 series looks like a winner too.

Jim Carroll  NPAA #13

Offline Marcum Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Shimano's last forever., can't go wrong.
Yes they do

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:12 PM »
Abu Garcia Cardinal 400i.  Abu's best reel with a graphite body, its lightweight and has an excellent drag system.  Vey smooth, about $50 

I like the black graphite body, feels warmer to the touch and water doesn't freeze as easily to it. You will want to replace the factory grease with sub zero or hot sauce for really cold weather use. 

The new Pflueger President 6900 series looks like a winner too.

Jim Carroll  NPAA #13

I just ordered one of the Abu Garcia Cardinal 400i reels and the bail sticks bad this is the second ag reel I have had a problem with.
It's on its way back to reeds with instructions to replace it with a shimano sienna.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I ended up picking up a shimano sienna and a new fenwick rod. Can't wait to try out the new setup

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:49 AM »
i have 2 pfluger trions and love them!

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:00 AM »
Mitchell Avocett II gold.  $35.  I have 4 of them.  Great reels for the money.

Offline mags459

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Tica gv500, great reel for $30
Shane

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:59 PM »
I have 2 Abu Garcia Cardinal 100ui and 1 Cardinal 101i.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:19 AM »
i have a couple of the shimano sedonas and they are very sweeeeeet ;Dand a hair lighter than the ticas.the sound of a good drag going always brings a big smile to my face ;D ;D

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:07 PM »
SHIMANO! Symetre FI or Sahara FD in 500 or 1000 size and you wont want to use anything else ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.