The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Any one using or tried a Dewalt 36 Volt cordless for auger?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Budzer

• IceShanty Rookie

Was wondering if ANYONE has tried the DeWalt 36 volt cordless for drilling the ice? It has the lithium batteries and per the DeWalt website it has over 250% more drilling time than the 18 volt drills thier own 18 volt models.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
Re: Any one using or tried a Dewalt 36 Volt cordless for auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Im not sure I would recommend that. It has a very small motor and even a smaller 6" hole would really give that thing a work out. If for some reason you do try it out, make sure you have a drill with the side bar so you have a solid grip.

If that auger were to "bite" in the ice it just might break your wrist. I got smacked in the jaw with a hole hawg when the bit caught and It busted a tooth!!. Not to mention, it would probably take forever to get through the ice.

This is just my opinion as I have never tried this or seen anyone do it!

Happy Trails and good luck out there!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline just mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:32 PM »
I use an 18 volt ridged and I love it. light quiet and fast.keep the batteries warm they last longer. I can drill about 15 to 20 8" holes in 6 to 8" of ice. 36 volts gotta be better right?

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:57 PM »
WOW.

Cool, I guess I would have never even tried that! Now that I think about it I think I saw a guy doing this one time........ ???

Glad it works!!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:50 AM »
I just bought a 19.2 volt craftsman for around the house was thinking of trying it. 

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2011, 01:08 PM »
The ole lady bought me a 24 volt drill years ago just for ice fishing worked great. I think you'll be fine.

Offline Budzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2011, 04:09 PM »

Yes it does have a LARGE side handle. And at 2.6 times the drilling time of their 18 volt model and lithium batteries I was hoping it would do the trick?

Offline just mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Make sure the chuck is TIGHT! it is sickening when your $75 laser anger sinks to the bottom of the lake. or so I hear.

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Make sure the chuck is TIGHT! it is sickening when your $75 laser anger sinks to the bottom of the lake. or so I hear.

Cut a piece of plywood or punch a hole in a frisbee and put it below the pin that holds the adaptor to the auger. if it does fall out of the chuck then, you just have to bend down and pick it up. Been doing it for some time with a 18v Dewalt

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:18 PM »
works great with a 5" lazer and a 18v li-ion ridgid.  I get 20 holes thru 15" of ice.  Gonna buy the 3ah battery this year between the 2 batts should be able to drill 60 holes.  crap when am i gonna fish.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:37 PM »
I have started to use a Bosch 36 volt Lith Ion hand drill last year, prior to that it was an 18 volt. I have it on an 8" Nils Auger.
I'll tell you what, I would not use anything else, works like a a champ.

Offline double trouble

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:48 AM »
I have started to use a Bosch 36 volt Lith Ion hand drill last year, prior to that it was an 18 volt. I have it on an 8" Nils Auger.
I'll tell you what, I would not use anything else, works like a a champ.

I am using the same setup with an ice-master adapter. Over 1000 holes over 3 seasons and i use it as a drill regularly too. I like it with my 6 inch lazer. I just bought a new old stock fat pack battery for $25 off a guy who used to work for bosch. I.M.O. bosch makes the toughest drill out there and the service center is in Farmington Hills Mi. , about 15 minutes away. Those guys are great whenever I have a bosch problem. So far this drill has been flawless. Everyone who sees it in action wants one. My new bait store is thinking of selling drill setups like this.
Where else can you have an 11 pound drill that will do what a 40 pound drill will and use it year round.
Plus ,I bought the drill($165) and the auger($25) used. The ice master was a gift from the owner of the company to test out his product on a 36 volt drill. I have $215 invested even with the new battery.
There is one on ebay right now for $125.
When the game is over Both the king and pawn both go back in the same box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.