Author Topic: best way to keep wax worms alive  (Read 24674 times)

Offline eyeman3

• IceShanty Rookie
best way to keep wax worms alive
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:31 PM »
so this year i think im gonna by bulk wax worms but i was wondering the best way to keep the alive for the whole ice fishing seasonso about 4months. any info would be great

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: best way to keep wax worms alive
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:41 PM »
I keep mine in the coolest part of the house. I don't refrigerate them which tends to kill them. I get at least three months of life span with them.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:44 PM »
50-55 degrees is a good temp

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:50 PM »
X2 on 50-55 degrees and make sure that you take the dead ones out and change the saw dust if possible every few weeks.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:14 AM »
In addition to the above, keep them in a bigger container (like a margarine tub), and only take enough for each trip out on the ice with you.  Also, to feed them, mix some honey and cereal and add it to the sawdust (they call them bee moths for a reason)  They should last you all winter.
Prayin' for cold

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:18 AM »
This is from Jada Bait's website.   I personally only buy Spikes from them, thier Spikes are as big as small waxies and last all winter no problem.

Waxworms are the larvae of the Greater Wax Moth they are excellent for all species of pan fish and trout. Hold at 65 degrees for 2 to 3 weeks and then refrigerate. For best long term results transfer each cup to a container with more surface area. One or two cups can be put in a gallon ice cream pail with the lid left off. Remove any dead bait on a weekly basis. Use the original cup to take with you only what you need for the day. If you plan to use them within  4 weeks, refrigeration may do more harm than good. Once you refrigerate waxworms they should be kept refrigerated.

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:36 AM »
A bunch of us go together each year and buy waxies in bulk.   I keep mine in  my basement (probably 50 deg or maybe a little less).
I keep the lids either off of the waxies (they dont  try to escape) or  at least loose, and I  pick through them  every so often and  if I find any that are going bad, I try to use them on the next trip.

Have never  fed them or changed  the sawdust, but that might be a good idea.

We got them last year in mid december.  I used the last of mine on the opening day of PA trout season, which  is mid-april, although I must say that we used most of them  in December/January.

One of the guys  tried to keep his in the fridge and they only lasted  about two weeks before they all turned black.

I hope this helps you out.  We are putting an order together  now -- if you live in central Pa, pm me if you want some :-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.