Author Topic: Colorado Bait  (Read 1787 times)

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
Colorado Bait
« on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:29 PM »
What bait would be most common/effective in Colorado?  Spikes, Waxies?

Where do most buy from?  Jada Baits has a great reputation it seems especially for spikes and guys relate their bait lasts for months.  I'm open to buying a 1,000 at a crack and if anybody near the springs wants to split some at cost it works for me...

If anyone's interested post-discussion just pm me

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Colorado Bait
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:24 AM »
I get my bait from Vado's, Waxies, mealies, and maggots work best for me. I have tried "spikes" before but they weren't working very well. If you catch any sucker's make sure to keep them for laker bait

http://www.vadosbait.com/index.html
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Outlaw Bait here in the Springs has been the go-to local bait shop also wholesaling the front range and points North. However, his store is dark and empty and the phone's dis-connected.
I need a new source for mealworms, frozen suckers, live suckers, and waterdogs if DOW has not put an end to that trade. Be needing minnows next Spring also.
Can anybody help a brother out?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011, 02:22 PM »
I understand your dilemna, Outlaw was my go to bait shop as well.  Here is some info to the new kids on the block, I haven't had a chance to get down there yet but give them a shot and see what they have. 

Xstream Tackle
2820 E.PIKES PEAK AVE
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
(719) 635-5390

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Thx TB1   are you finding their bait does last long (when stored properly)?
  Yes I buy large qauntity and I normally can get them to last the season.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I've had the most success using waxies and I buy them online at 1000 for a season. Last year I didn't use them all because of early ice out.
The year before I ran out and had to try to get some locally.Walmart and the various pet stores are hit and miss with the availability and
freshness,and Sportsman's won't have them late season because they are gearing up for open water.Considering gas and time to get them
it's more cost effective and better quality online.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Great tip Ducati,
Xtreme Bait is the ticket. I went over there about noon today, 11/26. Lots of fishermen checking it out. Dave Hulling's shop was in the same place many years ago. Couple of partners opened it in September. Lots of ice fishing tackle, huts, rods, lures. Live suckers, frozen suckers, 3 or 4 types of larval bugs,  minnows and shad for summer bait. Working on a source for waterdogs they say. Nice people too which you couldn't say about Outlaw. They will certainly get my trade in the hope that they'll be successful. This city has a half million people and half a dozen shops that pander to the fly fishing crowd bless their hearts. I can do that stuff too but I like bait. I fish crappie and cats mostly but in winter I switch to big trout and Northerns. I like to eat the darned things too in some cases and with no apologies.
Again, thanks for the heads up.
Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Glad it worked out stinkyfingers and thanks for the report,  it looks like I will have a new tackle shop as well on my way through the Springs to Southpark.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:00 PM »
Thx & good to know coboy   Where'd you buy online from and what was price back then?

Was buying from WholesaleBait,but Jadabait is $26.50 for a 1000 and that includes shipping and that was this morning.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2011, 06:59 AM »
yeah outlaw bait closed the doors due to the owner being sick. good place for bait. a newer fishing shop opened up in the springs but they dont really have to much bait. let me talk to them and see what they say about getting bait in there shop.

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:30 PM »
I stopped by Xstream Tackle Friday after work for some odds and ends.  I think they have an awesome setup for ice fisherman - maybe better than sportsmen's WH right now.  Good selection of shelters, bait, lures, jigs, rod/reel combos, etc.  I will definitely go back.  Also, the guys running it were pretty cool and helpful.  I will definitely go back.

Husker

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2011, 09:18 PM »
I stopped by Xstream Tackle Friday after work for some odds and ends.  I think they have an awesome setup for ice fisherman - maybe better than sportsmen's WH right now.  Good selection of shelters, bait, lures, jigs, rod/reel combos, etc.  I will definitely go back.  Also, the guys running it were pretty cool and helpful.  I will definitely go back.
Husker

Nice update Husker;  how were prices?

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:26 AM »
I think their prices were in the ballpark.  Definitely not outrageous.  I cut little guys like that a little bit of a break on price because i dont think they can buy super bulk like the chain retailers.  I'm not going to get gouged, but I'm willing to pay a little more in price for a wider selection (which i think they have) and in-store expertise.  I hope they make it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.