Author Topic: ATV"S  (Read 1422 times)

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ATV"S
« on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:14 PM »
 I have been looking at ATV'S.  I just wanted to ask everyone there opinion on brands and features, problems.   I would like to plow my drive with it and be able to take it out on  ice fishing.  Any info would be helpful,  thanks Highflags
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV"S
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2011, 04:50 PM »
It would be nice to have the answer for you but there are a lot of different opinions and I would think most would agree with me when I say it is all about personal preferences.  You have your list of things that you want to use the ATV for and next you just have to go compare your options.  I can tell you that I have 2 Yamaha Bruin 350's they are 05's and I have not had any issues with them.  They dont make them anymore but have replaced them with the Kodiac 400.  The things that I like is they have the selectable 4WD so they are not 4x4 all the time.  They are a little smaller which I wanted something my wife could handle so she could go and be comfortable and safe.  With plowing snow in the drive you may want something a little bigger but dont get talked into more than what you need.  I have been in places with my 350 where I was sure I was going to get stuck or in trouble and it has pulled more than its weight and got me through with out a hitch.  The bigger isnt always the better in this case and unless your are going to be using it to work around a farm you won't need the bigger units.  My 2 Cents, good luck.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:13 PM »
I bought a new polaris sportsman 500 in 1999, and then sold it in in 2005 and bought a new Honda Rubicon 500. The polaris was no doubt a smoother ride on the trails, of course it had independent supspension. The Polaris had to have a new belt, new headlight pod, and new speedo, all under warranty and brakes two times. The polaris was able to be 4x4 or 2x4 with a flip of a switch, where the honda is 4x4 all the time. I think the newer Honda have the switch now. The Honda has only required brakes once so far, and has had to have no other work except oil and lube done. The polaris seemed alot more top heavy then the honda. The only bad thing i can about the honda is its cold blooded, it doesnt like starting after sitting along time out in the cold. When i buy a new one it will be EFI and probably another Honda.  Two of my friends have new polaris sportsmans 500 and they like them. I really dont think you can go wrong either way. I would personally go ck them all out and sit on them and see what features appeal to you and then compare prices.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I have a 2010 Polaris 550 XP - wonderful machine.  It handle great and has lots of power.  No problems in 1000 miles.  It has been great.
I had 2005 Yamaha BigBear before that and it was a good machine as well.  I just got so I did not want the manual shift transmission any longer.
Had chains all the way round on the Yamaha.  Started with ice screws for the Polaris and they did OK.  Now I have tracks on it.
If you go the Polaris 500 - you won't be able to put chains up front because of clearance issues.

All brands have issues now and then, you gotta just have a little luck.

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:54 PM »
i have a 2003 honda rancher 350 with electric shift. it's lite enough to pick up an end and move it if you get stuck and it has plenty of enough power to plow with, i can push 8'' with my 4 1/2' plow. the es is nice because my girlfriend can plow with it but when it starts to get really hot and idles a little high you can't shift until the rpm's are back down.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Just make sure its big enough for the 2 of us-lol.
Good Luck.
Tom

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:02 PM »
HA HA         All great info guys, keep it coming 
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Wallin, I was thinking the same thing! LOL!! How much do these things cost used?

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I have an Arctic Cat TRV 500 (two rider vehicle).  Bigger and heavier but allows me to ride with a passenger legally!  It is a stock set up with no mods.  Notice in the pics one has the second seat and the other has the rear rack.  Has served me well on the ice...been to Erie and Saginaw Bay a few times each and when the ice is good in northern IN.  The only issue I have had is buying a new battery every 2 yrs.

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Last March I purchased a used, beat up '95 Polaris Trail Boss 250.  I rebuilt the motor, and redid practically everything else on it.  All together have about 700 dollars with it.  Very light for ice, and got some tire wieghts for plowing the drive.  I am guessing I will need some tire chains too.  It is only a 2x4, but with some wieght I can plow, and with some chains I should be great on the ice.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I have2003 polaris sportsman500 h/o, has plenty of power and sits high enough off the ground to not get hung up in the slush.  I would say something 500cc, 4x4,  electric start with a backup pull start would be a good start. All the manufacturers offer a model with these specs, but I am really happy with the performance of my Polaris thus far. I hope it lasts another 10 years without an issue
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Im rolling on a 2010 Honda Rancher ES and I have been trouble free. 4x4 and havent used chains yet, wish I had them once because the snow was to much for the machine, but it was ALOT of snow that night. Coming up on the machines one year anniversary, less than 100 miles and all of them have been on the ice. It is light but the only problem I have with it is the rear suspension doesnt tighten up enough for me, I will proly have to seek some aftermarket suspension
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:53 AM »
You do not want to go any smaller than a 400cc
4x4 for sure with ice screws would be my choice.
I have a 98 Big Bear with chains all the way around.

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:43 AM »
don't think you could go wrong with yamaha, polaris or honda. maybe whichever dealer is closest to you would be best??? pretty sure polaris is a american company.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Hi Gang!
  Heres my 2 cents worth.
  Get a used snowmobile if you have to go thru deep snow. 
  If you want a good 4x4 buy a new one.  90% of the used ones are junk or beat to death and or poorly maintained.
  Most of the traveling pros use polaris and arctic cats.  the hondas and other foreign crap shifters freeze up and brakes when it gets really cold
  You want about 500 cc.  that is enough power and keeps the weight down in case you get stuck.  A 2 wheel drive is extremely lacking you will be getting stuck all the time in deeper snow.  They just dont work out there.
  If you go new get hand and throttle warmers they are fantastic in the cold.
  If you have money left get those tracks for it you will never get it stuck anywhere ever.
  It all depends on how much you have to spend,  how mechanically inclined you are.  I priced a starter for a quad they are all about $400 to $500 bucks.  There are no manuf who sell engines complete for repalacement in the quad market or snowmobile market.  it can cost upwards of $3000 for all the parts to do an honest rebuild.   Like I said you would have to have alot of skills to pull a engine rebuild off.
  So there ya go
  Tight lines
  Da-Roc

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2011, 03:38 PM »
2009 kawasaki prairie 360 4x4 automatic with aftermarket ITP mudlite XL tires and I promise you I will make anybody with a machine that cost more than 5grand feel ripped off! It performs like a big boy with little man price tag...everybody can keep their testostorone mobiles

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:02 PM »
  Thanks for all the info everybody.  Feel free to keep adding more.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Pure ice and you gun it.
Deep deep snow.
Heavy perm. shanty and try to take it off the ice or move it through deep snow.
The ice again.
Still there hell of a fun time!  :thumbsup:

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:09 PM »
 Not to many permanent shacks in Indiana to worry about.  But I hear ya, those things don't move themselves.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:12 PM »
HF on Lake Winnipesaukee my hunting ground, if you can find a pic of it in the winter you will see few portable shantys where i fish or at all. And if i do see one its always the new comer to the "shanty town".

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I use a polaris 4x4 500 ranger side by side.  It's my work's machine, not mine, but it's a freaking monster when the tires are good.  The only downfall as far as traction goes is not having independent rear suspension.  Made it through 5 days on green bay last year with the ice pushes on bad tires.  Better yet it's free.  Lucky to have access to it and would buy one of my own if I didn't have access.  I've pulled trucks out of the mud with it in 4x4 low.  Ton of hours on it but it's still a monster after 7 long and rough years on construction sites.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:18 PM »
I got a Honda 420 rancher 4x4 last year and with stock tires I did very good with it last year there were a few times that i got stuck but that was in snow that was 12+" of snow with water under it . But all I had to do was get off and walk it back off the deep stuff and the go back at it and it would walk itself through it .

Offline IceMan74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:35 AM »
I am not for sure how big your driveway is but, my dad's does an awesome job on ours and you know how big our driveways are.  It might be a little big for the ice conditions around NWI, but maybe a smaller version maybe a 400.  People up in my neck of the woods put tracks on their ATVS to get around easier.  I have also seen a lot of please going with the side-by-sides.  I have ridden in a few over the winters and you just have to watch how much ground clearance you have, but they are pretty sweet!!!  Also just take my dad's if you don't get one this winter and give it a try when he isn't using it.
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Bought my first quad last year, a 2009 Honda Rancher 420es. Although it's a 2009, it was brand new. Got it from a dealer in KY. Anyway, I put a winch and plow on it and I was amazed at how much snow it will push. It also hauled two of us all over the ice last year pulling two sleds full of gear with the only problem being slush on the ice. Still, I never got it stuck. I went with the Honda because of the lighter weight, selectable 2 or 4wd, and previous experience with Honda products. Other brands have higher clearance, larger motors, no shifting required and the list goes on and on. Like everyone else says, stick with one of the main manufacturers and you can't go wrong. I considered getting a sled instead but have found the quad to pretty handy around the house moving the boat, trailers, yard work, etc. At 50 years old it sure is nice not to have to pull all that gear out by hand. Best of luck with your search.
Phil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.