Author Topic: Moral Dilemna  (Read 9859 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: Moral Dilemna
« Reply #90 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Five pages of opinions - you know what they say about opinions. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #91 on: Nov 22, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Sort of an older post here, but i will help drill holes with my electric auger for hand auger people. And you should give it away to some ice angler when fishing.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #92 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:53 PM »
My very wise Daddy used to say," When it come to moral values,if you are asking you already know".I really like the idea of calling them about it and I'll bet they will agree on giving it to a child.......The lucky kid will be thrilled and you will feel good about it,everyone's a winner ;D

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I work in a remote place. I fly to work work for 2 weeks then fly home for 2 weeks off.
A couple of years ago I had ordered from cabelas.
SInce I work remote my parents recieve my mail. Mom tells me I have 2 small boxes from cabelas at the house. I was a bit confused as there should have been only one.
I accidently got someone elses broadheads. Apparently they fixed the problem because they sent me my fishing lures before I even knew there had been a mistake.
My understanding of the law is if they send you something youy didn't order it is yours.
I don't believe this includes packages delivered to the wrong address or similiar mistakes though.
This is to prevent fraud on their part. They can't send you more than you ordered and then expect you to pay for it.
Certainly though it is not theft. You did not order it without paying or take it from their store without paying. They sent it to you by mistake their mistake.
Sounds to me like you did what you thought was right and you got a positive result. Good Job.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:18 PM »
5 pages of positive discussion. Nice, proves those who stand on frozen water are usually a titch off plumb and good people.
http://

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #95 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I would keep the rod, personally, its there mistake. My conscious would not be hindered in anyway, I would not feel guilty for once again, Cabelas is the one who made the mistake. Give the rod to a kid, or keep it for yourself, it doesn't matter. ITS YOURS. Have fun with it.
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:17 PM »
keep it it good lucktheir mess up enjoy

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #97 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:18 AM »
I`ll tell ya what , if my neighbor accidently recieves my package which I ordered and keeps it , because he feels it is his right and the mistake was not his-ask him again after he is all lumped up ,if he feels it is the right thing to do ;D takes all kinds I guess. I honestly couldn`t see this thread going over 2 pages, but apparently the morals fly pretty loose and wild here. Glad to see many who feel as I do(previously stated above). At least we can hold our head high. Like I said b4- NO DILEMMA - Doing the right thing all the time , not just when someone is watching, is the true guage. 
                                                                                                     Rott

Offline the fishing gene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:41 AM »
I have a buddy that I have fished with for 20 years and in the bottom of his tackle box he has a very expensive baitcast reel - still in the box. I've never seen him use it and one day he leveled with me. It was delivered to his house by mistake, he never ordered it. He decided to keep it and the company never contacted him, he assumes when it was lost they shipped another one to the guy who ordered it. In his mind no harm done. However, in 20 years he has never used it or even taken it out of the box and he still is not sure he made the right decision. TWENTY YEARS of wondering if he did the right thing! And it lays in the bottom of his tackle box reminding him of the decision he made.

Not to sound to dramatic but a true story that might help you sort it out.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #99 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:08 AM »
Just because there isn't a law against it, doesn't make it right. That's when morals, ethics and conscience take over...you being the judge and jury of your own actions. Just ask any politician ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:19 AM »
start a poll and ask the very question of should it be kept or sent back make the questions for those under 50 and those over 50.see where the morals are.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #101 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:22 AM »
We know how that one would end, don't we? If it's not your's by intention, then it's NOT yours! DUH!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:23 AM »
i believe i do.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:32 AM »
We know how that one would end, don't we? If it's not your's by intention, then it's NOT yours! DUH!

Right on Reb...kinda like the guy who drops his wallet in the street. He didn't mean (want) to...but I found it...so that makes it mine. ::)

And don't even try to make the argument..."Well, they're a big company and he's probably just a poor schmuck"...weak.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #104 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Big difference between a wallet and a fishing rod.

The 'other side' is that its already your lucky rod.  You got it for free!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #105 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Big difference between a wallet and a fishing rod.
The 'other side' is that its already your lucky rod.  You got it for free!

Really? Care to explain...other than one holds line and the other holds money?

As I said earlier, we are our own judge and jury when it comes to morals.

I also posted earlier that Cabelas had sent me an extra lure in one of my orders. I called them, told 'em they made a mistake. Lady I spoke to said thanks for calling...and go ahead an keep the lure...The judge said "I did good..I am free to go" :)

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #106 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:24 AM »
i guess ill be honest and say that i would keep it and keep my mouth shut. i would reason that any extra gear is karma for something good i did earlier

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #107 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:43 AM »
How does that reasoning apply to "things" acquired through a will?  Not yours by intention, you should refuse the bequeath.  ???

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #108 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:49 AM »
How does that reasoning apply to "things" acquired through a will?  Not yours by intention, you should refuse the bequeath.  ???

You're kidding, right? Tounge firmly planted in cheek?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #109 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:55 AM »
You're kidding, right? Tounge firmly planted in cheek?
YUP  ;) Just being me!
Personally, I would call the company and report the mistake.  BUT, I also understand those that feel they could be quiet and move on.  ???  I don't have too many "friends" in that later category.

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Personally, I witness no "dilemna" / "difficult situation" in the body of your text

This is matter of fact and not mean-spiritidness - You were born with a conscience, it's your transaction and also your opportunity to do what is right. Not what you think (reason) or others think (reason)....we're supposed to get/keep what we payed for

The topic seems a bit sensationalistic...
Cheers

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #111 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:01 AM »
We NEED ice  --- Badly.  @) :tipup: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #112 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:12 AM »
YUP  ;) Just being me!
Personally, I would call the company and report the mistake.  BUT, I also understand those that feel they could be quiet and move on.  ???  I don't have too many "friends" in that later category.

That's what I thought  ;D

Let me turn this around a bit:

Say you went to the store and made a purchase of something and it came to $79.95. You mistakenly give the cashier 5 "crisp-stuck-together 20 dollar bills instead of 4...cashier notices it, but you don't, so he/she decides to pocket the extra 20...Did they have the right to keep it because of your mistake? Were they obligated to do something different? One does have to ask..."Who is the rightful owner of said property?"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #113 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Wanna know about rights? I can help ya!!! Misdemeanor theft!!!!  :callcops:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #114 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Wanna know about rights? I can help ya!!! Misdemeanor theft!!!!  :callcops:
what the more ya missed it the meaner ya get??!!! lol

now on the original topic I applaud your honesty    so little of it lacking....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #115 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:52 AM »
It must be those darned holiday ads driving me to vent, Hazzy!!! Gotta stay informed!!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:24 AM »
right is right and wrong is not right. i would rather be on the side of taking care of business. a man died and went to heaven and when
he got to st. peter he ask what good he did on earth and the man said he once gave a quarter to the salvation army and st. peter thought for a while and said give him back his quarter and send him to h... .God will bless the honest man.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I am not really a scenarios kind of guy but here goes.
You order $25 of jigs from the acme lure company.
The owner Wiley coyote gladly and promptly sends you your merchandise you paid for.
The next year the ice is very late and orders are slow.
Wiley Coyote decides to send you the same order as last year including a bill for $25 even though you never placed another order with him. You receive those lures but don't want to pay for them.
Is it theft if you keep them? Should you have to pay to send them back to him?
They are addressed to you so you are sure it is not a mistake such as an order destined for your neighbor or something similar.
I believe in most states you are legally allowed to keep the lures as this was fraud on the part of the company trying to get you to pay for that witch you did not order.
I believe that is why they have such laws. To prevent companies from billing you for merchandise they sent you but you did not order or for sending you more items than you ordered and again attempting to bill you for the excess items.
It is not theft if they sent you that witch you did not order.
Do what your conscious tells you is right and feel good about it.
Here's a quote and a link:

Tip Ten. If you ever get something that you didn't order (and it is not from your negative option or club plan) you can keep it without paying for it. According to the FTC, it's your legal right.

http://www.nmoa.org/consumer.asp

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #118 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:39 PM »
Interesting information there.  Maybe some folks conscience will "clear up".  ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Nov 23, 2011, 01:41 PM »
kasilofchrisn

In the scenario you have given, you are correct. The law pertains to unsolicited items. Something different than the situation here in this thread. Try this one.
 I want a new widget, I order, and pay for, the $250.00 widget A from widgets-r-us. My package arrives and low and behold I have received the ultra deluxe $2500.00 widget E. Am I entitled to keep widget E and/or does widgets-r-us have the legal right to recover the item?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.