Author Topic: Ice Armor vs. Arctic Armor ?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice Armor vs. Arctic Armor ?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:11 PM »
You realize you can fall through 12" of ice by stepping on weak spot where there may be spring, current, old spearing hole, etc.?  I would rather be wearing a suit that will keep me afloat and may not 'breathe' as well (first time I have ever seen this comment about AA) vs. one that breathes but provides no floatation.  No ice is safe ice.....ice fish long enough and your chances of eventually taking a swim are pretty good.

Last time I went through, the lake had 20'' of ice on it! It was a bad spot from an underwater spring, woke me right up!

I wear Ice Armor because I got a super deal on a camo set in the local hardware store. It was $50 off the best price I have seen and I can also use it for duck/goose seasons in the rain and crud weather. A full setup in HD4 camo for that price could not be passed!

I think the pockets on the bibs are in a dumb place, but I absolutely love the jacket. The whole set weighs very little and feels quite thin, but it is very warm.

I wish it floated because of that polar bear baptism... I love that lake, but the ice on swampy flowages can be tricky. If it wasn't for the super deal and the HD4 camo, I would be wearing Arctic Armor.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2011, 12:47 AM »
I got a pair of Carhartt arctic coveralls on sale for $100.00.  They won'y float you, but they have kept me toasty in -20 degree weather.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:27 AM »
For anyone that is interested the green and yellow Arctic Armor suit is on sale for $269 on the IDI site.

http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php

Delivered to your door for a little less than $300

I have this same suit and absolutely love it!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:41 AM »
You should check out the Striker Ice floaters. They put the AA and IA suits in second and third place. Korkys has closeout prices on AA and they carry all 3 brands if you want to compare. Read the reviews and watch the videos and you will be sold on the Striker Ice.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Yup, Ford vs Chevy........Check out a Dodge.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:49 AM »
After reading the reviews and talking to the guys from Striker, I went with the striker lite suit, they have addressed the breathability issues the quality is great, the bibs by them self will float you.  I've read about nightmares with customer service with AA, the guys that make the striker suit are into snowmobiling and cross country skiing, they also make a floating snowmobile suit. I got mine at the ice show from Korkeys like the other poster stated they sell the AA and IA brands, I paid just under $300 for my full suit.  I would definitely check them out.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Little update. Reeds took a week to let me know they didn't have the arctic armor in stock and that they aren't even a dealer anymore. Not too professional imo. I just ordered the green black suit through profishingsupply.com. I paid for my suit with paypal at 3;15 pm yesterday, on tues dec 20, I get an email from Dave at 4:30 pm that same day, telling me the order has already been shipped, and I come home for lunch today, and my suit and free gloves are already at my door, only 20 hrs after I placed my order!!!! They came from one state away via fed ex...IMPRESSIVE! Profishing was even cheaper($339.99), they also gave me free shipping, and free gloves. This suit feels and fits awesome! I ordered Xlarge and am 210 lbs and 6'3". To have a suit that is super warm, not bulky, well made and will float myself and 2 of my buddys, is well worth the price imo. My local shop has Frabil suits at $356 and they sink! I feel that if I would ever go in open water, just the piece of mind knowing I can't sink, would be enough to help me keep a cool mind while I work on getting back onto solid ice.   

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline ICE_MONKEY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:46 PM »
I bought a pair of AA black bibs from redrock wilderness store. Was here in a couple days. Cant wait for some ice to try them out!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:11 AM »
I got mine through Redrockstore too.  But it sounds like Profishingsupply deserves some praise for stepping up and taking care of a fellow IS member!
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.